Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
[Redacted]

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

[Redacted]

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 2, 2012

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Dr. Bit posted:

Actually, that's a good point. I've never worked with spoken word people. A pop filter is a must for singers, though, because they're projecting a lot more (if not as much as they possibly can).

It's a combination of mic placement, controlled breathing and practice. A good mic or a good pop filter can help diminish that kind of stuff, but good habits are an important thing to develop.

Another good tip for people is to wear headphones as you're recording. It takes some getting used to hearing yourself as you're speaking in a new way, but you can detect problems as they're happening and adjust accordingling. A good test is to read something with a lot of P's in it, like Peter Piper, to get an idea of how much you pop.

I think Joe alluded to this as well, getting a good read from a cold script is really hard. Read it over a few times before even sitting down (or ideally standing) to record. If you can print it on a piece of paper, this gives you a chance to mark your copy. Underline or circle areas you want to focus on, like places to attack or emphasize, that sort of thing.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 28, 2012

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

All right, I have something I'd like to hear some voices on. This is a script I threw together about a week before New Year's that never got voiced. I don't have any money to pay folks for it, but it's acting so I hope it can be approached in good fun.

Length: I would think the whole thing would come in at around 6 minutes or so. I don't want the reads rushed, but I would like a sense of urgency on most of the lines.

Notes: This is a series of news hits, to be played straight, about time standing still as a result of Dick Clark not finishing his New Year's Eve Countdown. The script calls for five men and one woman. One of the men is Obama, so if you can do a good impression that would be sweet. There's also a BIG NEWS VOICE which can be either sex.

BIG NEWS VOICE: Male or Female

SLATE CASPIAN (m): Lead News Anchor. Live in studio.

ADAM ERIC (m): Lead News Reporter. On location at Times Square.

JENNIFER ANDREA (f): White House Correspondent. On location at the White House.

BILL WILLIAM (m): Current Affairs Reporter. On location at O'Hare International Airport.

ANDREW WILKINS (m): Stranded traveler from Daytona, Florida. Stuck at O'Hare International.

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA (m): El Presidente.

Script:The script is hosted here on Google Docs. I have it set to "anyone with the link" so you shouldn't need a Google account to see it.

EDIT May 2, 2012: [This has since been removed]

Now, if this is a bit too far out, then we can back off from this for the time being. Let me know if you guys are interested/not interested or if you want some direction on the script. I'd be happy to oblige.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 2, 2012

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Anyone jumping in on The Night the Year Stood Still, feel free to drop the recordings right in this thread here. You can try on multiple parts if you want, I'm not opposed to that. Have some fun with it. Be exciting!

I'll whip it into a nice, big ol' mixdown when all's said and done.

And I'll take a crack at the technobabble script when I get a chance, too!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Adib posted:

Here's my submission for the big news voice. Let me know if I should change it somehow:

The first part of it was okay. Your THIS was just about where I'd want it. THIS is the WORLD. NEWS. CHANNEL. The World News Channel is a big deal. Really hit the name of the station. The WORLD. NEWS. CHANNEL. We are AUTHORITATIVE AND IMPORTANT. Leave a very brief pause in between each word (but not too long) to really emphasize the name.

But you really threw away Slate. Poor Slate! He's the reason folks tune in. He's the star of the show, even if it is a news show. Slate knows his stuff and you should listen to him because he is AUTHORITATIVE AND IMPORTANT.

Here's SLATE CASPIAN. His name is just as important as the name of the World News Channel.

I like your voice. It's got depth, and you could really make it resonate if you worked at it.

Stinkmeister posted:

Here's an attempt at Adam. Again, feedback is awesome.

I'm digging this. I like the accent. Your first read is cool and collected, which is important, Adam can't get too involved in the story. The line about people trying to reach Dick Clark: admittedly I didn't proofread this as well as I could have, but different people are attempting different ways to get his attention. Some are using megaphones, some are yelling and some are shouting happy new year. It's a list of things. (I should have used an Oxford Comma!)

You take a breath in an odd place in the second one. Just after Dick Clark but before "to say Happy New Year" which throws me off a bit. The lines are pretty long and Adam is breaking the "one thought per sentence" rule, since everyone is very tense and very tired where he is right now. I liked the way your inflection changed on "the crowd has fallen silent"

For your third one, I really want a sense of relief here. The nightmare is over

Keep it up! Thanks for taking the time to record. :)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

For anyone working on the script I put up, rest assured I appreciate it. I've been absolutely swamped at work this week. I hope you guys are having fun with it.

Stinkmeister, ifire, and Adib, I haven't had much opportunity to really go over your new submissions, but I will get back to this thread when I can.

I can get more in-depth over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

All righty, I've taken some time to listen in. Here's what I have to say so far:

Adib, Big News Voice 2
I’m not as skilled at the technical ability direction as The Joe Man, so follow his advice.

“This” is thrown away. Every word has to count on this read.

News – add a short “y” sound—“nyews” not “nooze.”

Here’s too drawn out. Avoid “heeeeere’s.”

Enunciate between each word, here’s and Slate blend together a bit.

Stinkmeister, Adam Eric 2
Better reads than the first time.

If you can, take a break, and practice some of the stuff The Joe Man mentioned working on.

I’d like these to be sped up a bit. Don’t rush the words. Adam is trying to stay calm and collected, like a good reporter, but there should also be a sense of urgency.

The third one: This is so over the top. I literally laughed out loud the first time I listened to it. The read was great. I like stuff like that. However, you suffered a lot in technical ability. You popped the p on palpable, and the saliva sound is pretty obvious. Read it again a few more times in a similar fashion and give me the best sounding take.

ifire, Andrew Wilkins
Unfortunately, you don’t really have the sound I’d be looking for normally with this role. You sound pretty young, but seeing as this is just for fun, I’m not too worried about it.

When you say the first “a” say it more like “uh” than “eh.”

“plunge the entire country into chaos” is mashed together. Slow that delivery down a bit. You also pitch up there and sound whiny, where I’m looking more for angry. Mister Wilkins is outraged.

You pause in a strange place between “I’ve called my congressman six times” and “since this entire debacle began.” Try to say that whole phrase in one breath.

Emphasize the six. Wilkins has called a lot in the last three days. At least twice a day. But of course HE’S on VACATION. What a lazy congressman! Doesn’t that make you angry?

This part is actually pretty tough, despite being the simple sounding “angry guy.” Try not to think about what you’re reading so much. Andrew Wilkins is the most “normal” of the characters. Everyone else is a trained journalist or the President, so they’re trained speakers. Wilkins is just a regular guy, so he really needs to sound like he’s just speaking from his heart. Really get into his head.

I want to add that finishing the word or sentence that gets cut off is a very good thing to do. It allows for a more natural sounding cut-off, in the final product, compared to one where it's obvious the speaker stopped in the middle of the word.

Topenga, Jennifer Andrea
All right, this is going to be harsh, but did you even listen to this before you uploaded it?

Maybe all you have is that tinny, tiny headset mic, so try to move it away from your mouth a bit more. You be poppin’ more than my lip gloss (and my lip gloss be poppin’!)

I can’t really comment on the read until your mic problems are fixed. It’ll take a lot of practice to find the right place. Record, listen, move your mic and repeat. Repeat until you can get a cleaner sound. I think your pops are mostly due to poor mic placement and just a poor mic in general.

Since you've never done this before, there may be some bad habits that could form if you're not careful. Plosives are a pain for a lot of newbies. To give you an idea of what's hitting the mic, hold your palm up in front of your mouth, about as far away as your mic would be, and say "please be polite" in the voice you'd use to record. You'll feel the air on your palm. That's what causes the pops.

Take a script with a lot of P's in it. Peter Piper Picked a Pack of Pickled Peppers, type of thing. Practice that, have headphones on and the volume turned up to the point where you can hear yourself. Keep at it until you know how to eliminiate pops. Still say the P sound, don't fall into the trap of substituting it with another consonant. Find a method that works for you and the mic you have, since everyone is different.

If you're serious, you'll need to get a better mic at some point. I'm not a hardware guy, but some people in this thread have posted some good stuff.