Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I've been lurking this thread for a while now, and I definitely want to give this all a go. The only recording devices I have right now are a Rock Band mic or a headset mic (Skullcandy Hesh 2 if it matters, it probably does not). I haven't read entirely through the thread, so I haven't absorbed all of the info yet, but I like the price point, functionality, and accessories that come with the Audio-Technica ATR2100 from Amazon right now. Is anyone else using this particular mic? I am leaning towards a dynamic mic due to the probable recording environment (apartment), and I like that it is supposed to be strongly unidirectional. Also the huge number of positive amazon ratings makes it seem like a pretty good mic.

Tl; dr Audio-Technica ATR2100 good or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been lurking this thread pretty hard for awhile, and I've got some takes I would love everyone to rip apart!

The Timeless Classic: Sumerset Hills.

This is just a mildly energetic version of my normal speaking voice. I took multiple takes and made some cuts of unfortunate noises (licked my lips twice, I'll have to make sure not to do that). Is it cheating to take a nice deep breath and then cut it in post? Other than cuts, nothing was done to this audio; it is presented as is. If I can make a much better take in the future, I will work on further improvement in post (gating, compression, etc).

Here's a quick (not quite single take) version read in a more... sensual? voice.

Finally, I managed a half read of the script using a counterfeit of everyone's favorite ball of raw beef:

I had to cut it short because I found myself slipping uncontrollably into some sort of mix of Meatwad and Bill Cosby? It was very strange. It was interesting to me, because I think this might be the longest I've ever tried to hold that character voice. Clearly I need to keep practicing with that.

All takes were recorded using Audacity on a Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB.
Edit! For Blinkeve's sake I would like to mention that the atr2100 has simultaneous usb and xlr output, as well as a headphone jack for lag free monitoring! I took these things into account when purchasing based on things she said.

Hit me with your best advice, and I'll be ready to record more on Friday! I haven't quite made it through the rest of the thread, so if anyone could point me in the direction of any of the other calibration scripts that were posted, that would be awesome!

Zorblack fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 12, 2013

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you Budgie, I will work on my "o". Also, canned bread, you have an awesome voice but very slow pacing. This is my opinion as a total noob.

Real question: if I sign up for acx and do loads of erotica, will I be blackballed from cartoon work forever?

Looking at the work people want done, any one of us could essentially become the king of gay erotica.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

blinkeve1826 posted:

Thanks for the shoutout, Joss! And for the record, I agree with and second everything here. Except the Yeti. Please do not buy a Yeti (or invest in any mic) until and unless you have tried out a bunch of different mics and definitively decided YES, THIS IS THE MICROPHONE I LIKE THE MOST FOR ME AND MY VOICE.

Rob Paulson uses a Blue Yeti whenever he is on the road podcasting, and he's a pretty big deal in the VO world. Just offering that dissenting testimonial.

Also, consider the ATR2100 kit on Amazon. 40 bucks gives you a dynamic mic that will forgive you for living in a giant wooden box and it has usb, xlr, and a headphone jack output. That means you get free, instant monitor action and it can go through a nice preamp later. Also, it's 40 bucks, so it's not really like "investment" level equipment wise. I thought of it like this: yes you can buy a microphone for 10 dollars, but for 40 bucks you can have something that at least resembles and acts somewhat like pro equipment to work with for a good long time.

I forgot to mention that it comes with a desktop stand, usb cable, and xlr cable. That's also a bonus.

Zorblack fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 16, 2013

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I submit for the thread a few more samples as I work around my voice a bit more and learn my new microphone.

First, I just straight recorded a few different approaches to the opening line of the perennial classic:

Then, I took a take or two as a stereotypical news announcer type (and kept the best one for here). Listening to it again, I could put even more energy and schmalz into this. I'll work on it; I can do better:

And here's something I've wanted to record for a long time. This is very much a work in progress, and this is honestly an embarrassing thing to post because it's so bad, but I want to contribute it anyway. Maybe people will hear my embarrassing amateur hour stuff and post their own embarrassing work and then we'll all get constructive criticism and improve!

Realtalk though: There are some bits in there that I think are not objectively terrible, and I feel like with some work, I can really make the characters different and make this monologue shine! Also, listen to my take, then go listen to the actual original: A Miserable Little Pile of Secrets. When compared together, I don't feel so bad about my take.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CuddleChunks posted:

:smith: Oh. You weren't kidding.

Well, at least your diction is clear but I don't hear much differentiation between the two parts. At least, not enough to know if this is supposed to be two people having a confrontation or just one guy yelling vidya game lines into his mic.

Still, you can look at it as having an opportunity to make loads of improvements.

Good god yes. I know I can do better, and this was an early take. If anything, it is here to show the difference between starting off and finished product, and to lower the bar and encourage more posting. Seriously. That bar is low now.

So goddamn low.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CuddleChunks posted:

Lots of things.

I will do most of these things, record some more on Saturday, and then I will get back to this thread.

Are my "o"s getting any better? Also, I would love to hear any other specific things to work on out of all the garbage I have posted.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ishamael posted:

You know the answer to this. After all, getting that promotion at work must feel good.

One of us. One of us. Gooble gobble single family homes on pie shaped lots in lillies fair court. I think I could write that script almost from memory.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been doing a lot of studying on this subject lately, and I'm getting into it more than I thought I would. As I've skimmed through the internet, I found a ton of awesome resources that everyone should be checking out if they have any interest at all in the industry.

Crispin Freeman is a very successful actor with a totally free biweekly podcast that covers everything he can think of in the industry Here. Bonuses on his website: the toolbox section, where he outlines all the best equipment he has used or knows of for beginners, intermediates, and pros. It's a really well thought out section that gives some options outside of the Blue Yeti (not that there's anything wrong with the yeti). He also has no equipment snob attitude, which is great.

Of particular note: This episode covers finding a coach. This episode covers vocal health, which is important to think about when you're starting out and practicing.

Rob Paulson is a legend in the field, and his podcast can be found here. His podcast is less informational (although he does some Q&A stuff here and there) and more entertainment based. Go check his podcast out for a who's who of the voice acting world that will give you a great idea of who is doing what kinds of voices, where they came from, how they got where they are, etc etc.

Also Dee Bradley Baker runs a great website with links, tips, and general help about this and that over here. It's definitely worth a quick read through and bookmarking as a reference. DBB is also crazy successful in voice acting.

For all three of these guys, you can check their IMDB profiles and know that they are not blowing smoke. They seriously get tons of work, and they are all still working hard today.

For anyone interested in classes, I've found the following info by poking around:

Rob Paulson IMDB Website does private one-on-one coaching in LA or online via Skype for $500 bucks per 90 minute session. He frequently does small group online question and answer sessions for serious voice acting questions along with successful voice actors (he books different people every time, they are always working, successful voice actors). These sessions usually run $100, last for a few hours, and include tons of QA, so this is a good place if you have a few specific questions that would be best answered by working voice actors.

Crispin Freeman IMDB Website does private one-on-one coaching in LA or online via Skype for $150 per hour. He also offers live or online small classes (limited to 8 people) for $185 for a 4 hour session. Everyone gets time "in front of the class" with direction from Crispin. Note: You can not sign up for private lessons with Crispin until you have taken one regular class. He really feels that the classroom setting helps a lot with the basics and lets him know where someone is with their skills. Also, there are benefits to the group setting, so he'd prefer to start everyone off with at least one class of that type.

Pat Fraley IMDB Website has a number of options available. He has two home based options for $185 each. They are five week courses with assignments to complete. Pat will then give asynchronous feedback on all the work you do for the course, helping you to improve. This is a nice option for someone who wants something more structured. He also offers an asynchronous direct option for $200 per hour. The way it works: he sends a script and direction, you record your best take, and then you go back and forth until the total time he takes recording notes and direction equals an hour. Both of his options are very different from the other options out there, so I included them for the sake of a completely different offering.

General tips I have found that are interesting:
1)Don't record a demo until you reach a plateau in your skills. You don't want an early demo to reach the ears of anyone you want to impress, or they may close their door forever. You only get one chance at a first impression!
2)Don't showcase your skills in any way in front of casting professionals until you have skills to showcase. Same reason as number 1.
3)A bite of a granny smith apple (specifically) will quickly cure spitmouth. Weird, but true. Voice acting studios actually keep granny apples on hand for this reason.

This is what I have so far.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

Zorblack, lotta good research there and I'll add it to the OP (along with some others) when I'm able. Just moved and nothing is setup so things are kind of a mess right now.

While you're at it, I also just found out that Melanie Chartoff teaches as well, but I haven't checked her site out totally yet because it doesn't work on my phone. Her website is here. You may remember her as the voice of Didi Pickles. She specializes in Improv, which I hear is essential for voice acting.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, I did a thing!

This is my very first audition on ACX. I'm sure it is stunningly amateur, but I uploaded it anyway! I figure that this is a good way to get feedback by an author; he can tell me how and why I suck, and then on the next audition I will try not to suck in those specific ways, so I can then find new and exciting ways in which I suck!

**Tindeck link removed due to corrupted file. See below for alternate download option.**

Everyone please give it a listen, and then you too can enjoy telling me the specific ways that I have managed to suck!

One thing I am particularly interested to know is: Does this recording sound professional as far as noise and voice leveling? I think it sounds pretty good on the signal-to-noise ratio and all, but maybe you guys can crank it higher and hear lovely background nonsense.

Thanks as always for listening!

Zorblack fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 9, 2014

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why tindeck doesn't like the file. I tried downloading it myself, found out it was corrupt, re-uploaded and got the same results. Instead, I uploaded it to my box storage account: link for download. Sorry about that!

I just tested it, and it is working through box. You won't need an account for downloading it either. Does anyone know what could have happened to tindeck?

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
After hearing that my last posted sample is a little on the quiet side, I tried normalizing my audio and boosting the gain on my mic (separately, using two tries). It turns out my room is not nearly as acoustically clean as I had hoped. Now I'm hoping if I talk louder and get just a little closer to the mic (not quite proximity effect closeness), I can get reasonable volume without open gray noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

weirdsauce posted:

Thank you for the good feedback, Cubemario. The voice inconsistency is problematic- my knowledge of sound engineering and my use of Audacity is minimal. It's amazing the difference that a few millimeters of distance from my Snowball can make.

I'm serious about exploiting my voice. To that end, i just invested in this package. I'm a bit concerned by the fact there are 2 negative reviews of the company out of 5. I'll report my findings of their service and the quality of the products here once i have received them.

This is just a passing thought but it might have some traction here. In the coming days, how about a few of us submit a link or two of a few paragraphs for us to read- one that's narrative and another that requires a bit of VO acting. Then share the results for us to compare to our own. It's my thinking being that we each have the opportunity to learn from others, especially if they're already established as VO talent.

That's kinda what has been done for the last 20+ pages, but yeah, let's do that and never stop (because it's practice!) Why don't we just all grab an audition from ACX, record it, and share the results here?

Zorblack fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2014