Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I've been interested in trying out voice work for a while now, but didn't really think it was possible to do here in Alberta until a friend of a friend of mine mentioned doing some animation voice work here in town.

I was going to attend a local voice acting workshop, but couldn't make it since I had to move house that day, and they really haven't updated their website the past few months. Supposedly, the next workshop is on February 6th and 7th at a "TBA" location and there's no mention of how much it costs. Should I even bother at this point?

I took pop vocal lessons for over 8 years, so I'm familiar with a lot of good vocal warm-ups and tended to do a lot of musical theatre songs and "talky" songs. I performed in all kinds of venues from summer campgrounds to charity fundraisers to trade shows. I wasn't that great, but would my experience singing help me out as far as voice acting goes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

I can almost 100% guarantee that this will be a waste of your money. There are local shills like this hosting "workshops" everywhere, and there is nothing subtantial you can learn in an overpriced, 4hr class. If you'd like to actually learn something and improve (for free, no less), I suggest signing up for a tindeck account and reading some of the scripts that are bound to come through this thread.

I'd like to see you try, if not only for the fact that you're female and you statistically have waaay less competition. Your odds of landing a job (if you're good) are much, much higher than any non-famous male.

This is fact. Take advantage of it!!

:frogsiren: TO ALL GOONS: :frogsiren: Post stuff you'd like read/recorded and put these guys to work! Doesn't matter if it's free or for fun!! The main focus of this thread is for folks to practice...give them something to read!

Okay. Good to know. I don't want to waste my money. I was only interested in the workshops because they came in 3 parts where the 3rd part is invitation only and you get to work on a demo with real vocal directors. From what I've heard, a professional demo is the only way to get any substantial work.

I had been asked a couple times in the past if I wanted to work on comic book dramatization projects, but those never panned out. I'd love for people to suggest some things to read out as a starting point, cause I have no idea where to start. I'll post a Tindeck profile soon.

I guess I could describe my voice as quiet and higher pitched, but not overly girly/frilly? I think I could voice younger female characters, little boys and old ladies okay.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

My story about the guy here in MN kinda falls in line with your post, but I'd like you to ask yourself this: do you think you'd be at the peak of your game after 2 8hr workshops? If not, why bother creating a demo before you're ready? Not to mention paying (what I assume to be) hundreds of dollars for it. You will get x99999 more experience by reading aloud and practicing on your own than any "invitation only" workshop.

Practice is free.

When the time actually comes for you to put together a demo, you'll know it (because you'll realize how much your voice has changed/strengthened).

No you're totally right. :) I know that voice actors aren't rolling in money, and I'm pretty broke myself, so it's not really worth it. It would likely cost a lot more than even my vocal lessons did.

Guess I'll fill this out now.

Name: Nessa

Specialties: I guess I'd describe my voice as pretty quiet and higher pitched, but not overly frilly (if that makes any sense). I could probably voice young girls, little boys and old ladies best.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/Xgirl1251 All I have on there right now is a song I sang from the first and only time I ever set foot in a recording studio. It's easy to hear how nervous I was, but should give a decent impression of what my voice sounds like.

Contact: Feel free to PM or email me. My email is Xgirl1251 @ gmail.com

Payment: I've got a Paypal account, but I'm really just looking for practice.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, so if I were to post a couple minutes of me reading some dialogue from Phoenix Wright, would that be something I could be critiqued on? Or should it be something else? Should I wait for something to be suggested to me?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Aphasian posted:

Posting this for feedback:

I think you have a really good speaking voice and all of your words are very clearly spoken.:)

It's very monotone though. Every verse sounds the same and some lines are even a little robotic sounding. I think something like The Raven needs more inflection and emotion put into the voice.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, here goes nothing.

This is just me rambling random lines from Phoenix Wright. It's a couple minutes long.

And this is my reading of The Raven.

I can already hear a ton of mistakes, so please tell me what I can do to help fix them! I should have used our better mic (a Blue Yeti), but couldn't manage to set it up properly.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

I listened to them, but I'm sorry; I have to ignore these simply because I don't feel that dialogue from an anime and a long Poe(m) is representative of realistic work. I know you want to improve, so I'm more than willing to help. If you could, please read/record the following:

It's supposed to be a 30s spot, but I don't care about time requirements. Just want to hear how you sound with something more down to earth.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was supposed to record.:(

I'll try to post the commercial tomorrow.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

robodex posted:

It sounds like he's either laughing or trying to stifle a cough throughout the entire ad.

My throat hurt just listening to that. It sounds like the guy is tearing his vocal cords apart by trying to sustain that voice. :(

Here's the ad I did.

It's just in my regular speaking voice. I really didn't know how to approach it, as I've never read anything "non-dramatic" before. I managed to get the good microphone working, and it really emphasizes all my flaws. My voice is all hissy and blarghy.:/

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

How many takes did you do before you recorded this one? This is important because it means that A) This was one of the first takes you did, most likely within the first 10-15mins, or B) We got bigger problems to fix. Both of these are fine, but I want to know. First things first: Blow your nose and clear your throat thoroughly before attempting to record. This is what stands out the most from this recording. "Getting that promotion at work must feel good," sounds very unnatural and robotic, "Why not celebrate moving up," is stuck in a one-note key that doesn't sound like the beginning of a new sentence, however, "by moving to Summerset Hills?" was good. Firm finish of the question with a soft/non-threatening touch on the end. Unnatural sounding up until "on which to raise their kids," which also ended nicely. Need sharper enunciation on, "sothatyoucanmoveintoyourdream home," and "everysaturday andsunday." It sounds like you were trying to pace yourself a little too fast towards the 2nd half, and were struggling for breath. Unnatural sounding up to, "stay for a lifetime," which ended well. I would look at the advice I posted above for Incredulous Dylan regarding putting emotion into your readings.

To recap: it's not a race, you can slow down. Blow nose/clear throat (several times if necessary). Actually record on...let's say the 20th reading instead of the first few. Try to speak naturally as if you're having a conversation instead of reading a script. Remember that every sentence should have a natural flow, and you ended a few of them pretty well! Make sure that your actual lead-up to that ending sounds natural though.

Most important: Don't give up or get frusterated. It's a process.

Uh, I think that was my 4th take? It was the first one where I didn't flub up a word, actually.

Thanks for the critique. I was so worried you were just going to tell me to give up and go home, because I just don't think my voice suits advertisements or announcements. Not like these other guys!

One thing though, you mentioned clearing the nose and throat. Do I sound too phlegmy or nasally? When I recorded it, there would have been nothing to clear. Is there anything else I could do to help fix that?

Thanks again.

Edit: Also! Do you want me to rerecord it until it's good, or should I practice on something new? My boyfriend said I should record a monologue from a play.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

Yes, you sound like you have a cold. Everyone's different, but try sipping on a hot cup of coffee, don't record within the first hour of waking up, and make sure both your nose AND your throat are clear. Also, try 20th take. Not 4th.

I'd rather have you re-record Summerset if you want a critique, but you're obviously free to post whatever you'd like.

Okay, here's my second run, but it doesn't really sound any better to me than my first attempt.

It's my 20ish take and I had a cup of tea while recording. I swear my nose and throat were as clear as I could get them and that I don't have a cold. That's just how my voice sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

You really don't sound as stuffed up as the first time. It's noticably better. Your levels are a little too high, but let's go into the read quality rather than technical.

Slow..................downnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. You also need to enunciate a lot better, but I think this is a byproduct of trying to speak too fast. It sounds like you're reading a commercial and you just want to get through it as fast as possible and when is Brandon coming back with lunch he should be here by now why did they hire that dunce and GOD I JUST WANNA GO HOME and why hasn't the clocked moved at all AHHHHHHH I DON'T WANNA BE HERE ANYMORE oh god i need a vacation*peels out of office parking lot*
^^^^^ The (exaggerated) vibe I get from your reading ^^^^^

You are telling a friend about Summerset Hills. You want them to live in Summerset Hills. Summerset Hills is beautiful, and really it's the best place for them. Please friend, sit down for a spell. Let me tell you about the many wonders of Summerset Hills. :) :) :) :) :unsmigghh:

Yes, it is a lovely commercial. Yes, it was written by someone who doesn't understand the basic concept of time. BUT, your job is to make it sound NOT like a commercial. The only time it should feel even slightly wooden is when you're giving important information, such as dates, times, addresses, websites, phone numbers, etc...if you don't enunciate and give out that information clearly & audibly, the company or person that paid for that commercial has every right to be MEGA PISSED (and they WILL be).

I really don't mean to be harsh but it doesn't sound like you applied or practiced any of my previous advice at all. If you want to try again, I will go through another critique with a new read, but please, for both our sake, read and exercise what I've said just now and previously. Advice that I've given to you AND other readers.

I'm sorry. I really did try my best. :(

I'll work on it one more time.