Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I'm lucky enough to work at a university that offers courses in voice training for actors, but I'm wondering what kind of training I can do on my own (besides practicing reading aloud). Can you share some tips/techniques/exercises that have helped you train your voice? Any good vocal warm-ups you recommend?

Who are your voice acting idols?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If this will somehow violate copyright I'll take it down, but I'd love to hear people post their readings of the last paragraph of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian:

quote:

And they are dancing, the board floor slamming under the jackboots and the fiddlers grinning hideously over their canted pieces. Towering over them all is the judge and he is naked dancing, his small feet lively and quick and now in doubletime and bowing to the ladies, huge and pale and hairless, like an enormous infant. He never sleeps, he says. He says he'll never die. He bows to the fiddlers and sashays backwards and throws back his head and laughs deep in his throat and he is a great favorite, the judge. He wafts his hat and the lunar dome of his skull passes palely under the lamps and he swings about and takes possession of one of the fiddles and he pirouettes and makes a pass, two passes, dancing and fiddling all at once. His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 3, 2012

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JossiRossi posted:

So for the improving shortlist, I'd do up some Enunciation and vocal practices (Round and round the rugged rocks the ragged rascals ran) so you are less likely to trip up on your own tongue.

Could you post more of these or link to a good resource? Although I don't want to be a voice actor, I want to improve the quality of my speaking voice -- what are other types of exercises or practices that would help?

Are there any tips for learning to speak with a more neutral American accent when one has a pronounced regional accent, other than just being mindful? I have a light Philadelphia accent (especially with the way I say my long "O" and long "I" sounds), and I hate it.