Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
So I used to do some voice acting in the heyday of Newgrounds (2004-2006). It's as big of a cesspool as you could imagine. At the time I was doing my own animation project with my friends, and realizing that we all sucked at voice acting, decided to whore ourselves out as a group. The project I was dong collapsed for various reasons (lack of time, effort, ability, and casting my already volatile then girlfriend in one of the main female roles), but a few of us stuck around.

There were a couple other voice acting communities online at that time, but we stuck with the Newgrounds forum group because it was a friendly environment full of people just like us. At least at the time most of the people involved were just in it for the fun of it. Most of us weren't technically good, but had enough charisma and willingness to improve without letting our egos get the best of us.

However, Newgrounds is a sucking wasteland, and back then was no different. My friends were run out after a few months by other users fighting with them over stupid nonsense. My first issue was with some flash author dropping me from his project because I wasn't available during the weekdays, then releasing his flash movie with my vocals unchanged but crediting one of his real life friends for my vocals rather blatantly.

Then similarly someone dropped me for the same reason, but in a hostile and hilarious way on the forum. Long story short after a week long flame war that I wasn't even aware of between some of the VA's and flash artists that frequented the board about me. The argument managed to change from the flash artist having a poor attitude towards VA's to me being a casual hobbyist stealing roles from people that might actually appreciate it.

So I mostly just do voices for people that ask for it now. I still know a few people from the Newgrounds days who have had some actual successes. I haven't auditioned for anything since probably 2008. Unless the person in charge of the project actually alerts me that something came out, then I have no idea.

I have however grew into my voice since that time. My real voice used to be nasily and annoying, and all I really did was cartoon voices. Now people usually just want me for my normal voice so slight variations and accents.

I would have a demo to show but I honestly haven't recorded a proper one in forever. I would like to get back into it proper one of these days. I can't even begin to guess how rusty I am. I have done some semi professional work, but nothing I've actually been paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU