Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

As soon as I get back to work I'll pull some of my commercials and stuff that I've done. I'm glad this finally came to fruition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

For people having issues breathing, mark your script!

This is what I mean by that. Put a / after every natural pause and comma. Put a // after every ending punctuation. That way,/ you can essentially train your brain to recognize when and when not to breath. //. As a rule of thumb/ i tend to stay under 16 words per breath mark. //. Shorter sentences are way more conversational.//. We would not say half the poo poo we write in a conversation.// I used to have an issue with breathing.// Now I don't.// the marks helped show me where natural pauses should be/ and now when I cold read something/ I have an easier time.//

If you have problems with emphasis (I was called an emotionless robot in school and was asked if I had any friends due to my lack of inflection/emotion) highlight key words. Look at what MAKES that sentence. Is it that you can choose between hamburgers AND hot dogs? Or is it that you can choose between HAMBuRGERS and HOT DOGS? Also, you should never emphasize and.

If you need both you will have a funny looking script. But honestly, if you sound golden who cares!?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

I started to get into on-camera acting (ughh) and luckily for me, they recorded and posted everyone's audition online. I noticed that I kept closing my eyes and blinking unknowingly while reciting lines.

Now that I'm conscious of it, I don't do that anymore. Success!
i had a huge issue with my eyebrows. I looked like I was constanty trying to do "The Rock" impressions.

I got rid of it after I lost my dignity to radio. Camera work is all types of hosed. I have to put tape over the record light so people don't see the glaring eye of doom.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

As someone who's just starting out, what do I do for copies? Is there a good source for things to read?
Anything and everything! Shampoo bottles, posts on SA, News articles. Quite literally everything.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Fiction D posted:

I'm the gangly creature next to Miss Delaware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtGC-P1i1Mo&feature=youtu.be

Thoughts?
You sound natural which is good.

Nothing noticeable stood out for me, but that also may have been because I was wondering why the camera man loves rack focuses so much.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Fiction D posted:

When you say nothing stood out, do you mean you found the speaking too monotone or boring?
Stood out Negatively.

Again, you sound like you are talking with someone, not at them. That is huge in broadcasting.

You did good.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Best place to record (if you can) is a car if you don't have a sound booth Somewhat soundproof and non-echoey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Don't be afraid of the microphone. 

Seriously. It causes a lot of people to freeze up. poo poo, a third of my class bolo'd the reading part. Just fine practicing, but as soon as they started recording...blammo!

Hold your script up in front of you. Stand up (it helps me anyways) to read it too. By infront of you I mean eye level.  Reading head down is atrocious. 

I used to be afraid of the mic, but the only thing that got me over it was practice. I have been a DJ for a year now, and there is a huge change in a then to now. 

Remember too, it is Easy to sound bored reading. Smile while you read, it does make a difference.  Also, if you aren't speaking from your gut, you are doing it wrong.