Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
This thread caught my attention as JossiRossi posted in the animation thread. Some neat stuff in here. I'll definitely keep this thread in mind if I ever end up animating some stuff.

I am capable of doing some varying voices myself but I'd rather refrain from showing anything because a) my microphone is terrible and b) it is rather embarrassing to post after hearing some of you.
I can make a rather amusing indian stereotype voice and some other weird voices and accents. But that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

titties posted:

Don't be too intimidated! Some of the posters in this thread are voiceover pros, but there are just as many (or even more) interested amateurs who are also posting. If you've got an interest in voice work, why not read something for us? It'll be fun, I promise.

EDIT:

Totally OT, but I saw that you were asking about shootdodging in the Max Payne thread. I mentioned it a couple of times before, but if you shootdodge and land near cover, tap the cover button to have Max scramble into the nearest cover instead of laboriously struggling to his feet.

I might show something small eventually. We'll see what I come up with during the summer.

Also regarding the Max Payne 3 thing, think I read somebody, if not you point it out actually. Anyhow, hello! Small forum we are in. :v:

ChaosTheory posted:

Brought to you by Powerthirst:

That's quite nice!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I've always had a thing for (light) acting and think it is a lot of fun and always had an interest in playing characters and even singing. (However I doubt I will ever let anyone ever hear my sing beyond isolated incidents) I would say I may partly fall into the first statement in the OP where mom says you have a good voice. Except it just has been random people over the years, some who were actually active in the University student theater where they do a lot of musicals and stuff. But I wouldn't say that is the only reason that I'm here. I study Software Engineering with a focus on videogame technology, figured it would be fun to be able to record some VO for my projects and possibly other people's projects too. Like a friend who is developing a mod for Left 4 Dead 2. I'm probably not looking at a career in VO here but if I'm going to attempt something, I would like to do it right.
So I've been researching microphones for a little while now. The nicest one I've found so far that is reasonably priced is the Rode NT-USB. I've seen videos on youtube bashing USB mics saying they are toys and XLR is the only way to go. But all the videos I've seen of the NT-USB in action sound amazing. (To my untrained ears at least) If I were to try and stay within a reasonable budget but go the XLR route I would have to get the AudioTechnica AT2020 and an interface which would cost about the same in the end. But I'm not sure if that is worth it.

Is it worth worrying about the whole USB vs XLR thing? Again, I would like to do things "right" and not end up with something that in the end sounds like trash. I'm still shooting for something that would sound good in a videogame. But like I said, I'm probably not going to leave Software Engineering and pursue a career in voice acting either. Also I'm in need of a microphone regardless that doesn't sound like complete poo poo when I'm talking to friends on Skype/TeamSpeak so instead of getting two different ones I might as well roll with a fancier one. (Although I don't think microphones for VOIP even come close to the condenser mic price range)

Anyways, before this block of text becomes a wall of text, some input would be nice.

I really hope I don't get a microphone only to find out I have worst voice on the planet. It's hard to tell when I record myself with my awful old headset that I put in front of me whenever I use VOIP.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Thanks for the tips. I forgot to mention that I already have my beyerdynamic DT990 headphones which I love. So I'm only looking to replace my microphone, which is the old headset that I place in front of me. Looking at the prices of the turtlebeach headsets here in Sweden, one of those cost more than the AT202 and some models rival the NT-USB in price. But while this headset is terrible I think I'll still give those practice lines a go and keep it for myself for now, seems like a fun challenge.
And speaking of the delay of USB microphones, the NT-USB seems to have a headphone output right on the microphone itself which supposedly has no delay, but I haven't tried it so all I have to go on is the words of reviewers.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Sometimes I wish I was the type of consumer who just blindly goes into the store and buys something. Curse my desire to research stuff in advance. :v:
I'm pretty torn right now. I was thinking of getting an XLR mic and then convert the signal to USB but then I realized you can't just by any old cable, you need a converter that actually costs a fair bit. The motivation behind this was that I would just convert to usb for now and then in the future get an interface. But seeing as how some converters cost more than the AT2020 that seems like an exceptionally stupid idea.

The Joe Man posted:

Only buy an XLR mic/setup when you can cover the entire cost exclusively with VO money you've made using a USB mic.

If you can't...then it's probably not a good investment.

NOTE: All of my professional work is done on a Blue Yeti (along with some light post-production).

I think that's a valid point, but for me right now it seems like both the AT2020 + interface and NT-USB options will both land in the same price range, although I think AT2020 and interface might cost a bit more. Depends on if they lower the prices around the holidays. But in Sweden most deals are scams since you can quite clearly see on price tracking sites that all prices go up around October, only to conveniently fall down to their prior price around December.

Also, do you have the blue yeti with XLR or one of the usb variants?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

All those years learning to English from the internet instead of school might pay off for me then. :v: In Sweden they teach us British English almost exclusively and encourage us to speak like them too. But I sound American to the point where people from the US can't tell that I am in fact, far from American.

Speaking of projects, is it a bad idea to check out places like IndieDB and Steam Greenlight for games that have shown reasonable progress and look for those that need VO. Has to be plenty.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

If the shoe fits. The catch is if they actually have a budget or not.

If you're just starting out, you'll likely need to lower your rates if you have nothing to show for your resume/previous work. As far as I can tell (from what I've read), you have zero professional experience so I'd honestly suggest practice before trying to convince someone to pay you. However, feel free to go for it but don't expect much before getting your feet wet a bit.

Yep, zero professional experience. I was thinking of just doing VO for mods for free as a hobby for starters and if I end up with some experience I would try and do some professional work.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I still want to try my hand at VO, but still haven't grabbed a mic. I think I'm looking into gear a bit too much. I would just start with what I have but this old logitech headset that I use (only the microphone) is awful. I should still probably record something so you guys can stop me if it actually turns out that my voice is on par with the sound of a shrieking harpy or something.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Hot off the presses, complete with weird mouth noises and computer fans running the background.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1qniFHryZvI

I was going to use the vocaroo thing but my strange fork of Firefox didn't like it.

Edit:

Crap, forgot you can't always stream in your browser. Let me upload it somewhere.

Edit #2:

There we go uploaded it to vocaroo.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Would love to show up but that starts at 1AM for me. :( Would be great if you would put up a recording for us who can't make it. Since like you've seen I've been considering giving this whole VO thing a try, so something like your VO class would be the perfect place to start for me.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 26, 2016

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

CuddleChunks posted:

Have you recorded anything lately? If not, why not?

Go read a story and record it. Don't worry about mistakes just get used to talking into a mic.

I'm attempting to record the summerset hills thing. But I die a little bit inside every time I hear myself. My voice is not fit for ads and narrator type things. Feels like I need become at least 20 years older (22 right now) and start smoking for this to work. :v:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Well here is my best attempt after several tries.
I tried to mask out some of the crap audio and gently caress ups with music. Very subtle, right. :v::
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0CmB2MS5qrY

Without music:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1fu98NqqweB

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I've always been toying with the idea of doing voice work but I suppose I'll just stick to mods etc for the time being since I'm inexperienced. But now that I think about it, all mods probably use those artificial voices now. :suicide:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 24, 2021

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

See, I can't compete with that. Saying banana with such gravitas is something I can only dream of.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Lor posted:

Hey guys, I'm thinking about _trying_ to get into this stuff a little bit. The OP is setting off a couple of red flags for me though...

You've been told you have a great voice
check

You want to make at least a little money
check

I guess I'm determined to go ahead at least somewhat as I've got a new mic coming, but any advice would be much appreciated. Once that comes I'll go about reducing the noise floor in my recording space as much as possible and ... going from there I guess? I'm in the UK if that helps at all. =D

Check on those two for myself as well. :v:

I've been sort of looking around for potential work where I live but it is basically, either live in the capital or forget about it. And since I don't I guess my only options are to do some auditions online via casting call club and stuff. I would assume the same holds true for the UK. I take it they prefer to work with the actor right in front of them in a studio as opposed to remotely. Not much you can do about it unless you are really well known.
I've got my half-credit as I like to call it because I got featured in a game via a contest but that is about it. I guess as a fellow clueless rookie you should take a look at the Voice Acting Club's discord https://www.voiceactingclub.com/#Discord. It is very active and lots of people posting jobs. Been busy with other stuff lately myself but I should keep an eye there again myself.

Would have been great if voice acting had "extras" similar to traditional acting where you could just stand around in the background. But alas that doesn't seem to be the case. In my mind a VA extra would just say a word or sentence at most but seems like it isn't a thing judging from the casting calls I've seen. If there was it could have been a good way of getting your feet wet, so to speak. But maybe some of the vets here might have some more insight regarding that.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Signed up for Backstage a bit ago. Haven't gone hard yet but also haven't landed any of the handful of gigs I've auditioned for (including a sexy frozen dinner commercial and the new "TASTE THE RAINBOW" Skittles guy).

So unfortunately I can't 100% recommend it at the moment since I haven't been hired yet but if you decide to also give it a shot, it'd be appreciated if you did it through my link:
https://fbuy.io/backstage/josefgagnier

Tons of paid gigs on there and the competition seems to mostly suck (from what I've heard) so maybe you'll have better luck. Profile setup was a bit of a pain so feel free to ask me anything about it if you get stuck.

FYI your link seems to be region locked. I can't access it from Europe at least. I'm still not sure if I should just say gently caress it and aim for a paid gig (however low paying and basic) or if I should do a bunch of unpaid stuff first. It honestly seems like a lot of fan projects etc are way too over ambitious and expect far too much from you despite not paying you. If I do the former I can't use backstage anyways I think since it seems to cost money? So most likely only worth it for people who are already established and have a few credits to their name. (Credits that aren't you screaming into a microphone for free in a videogame :v:)

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 23, 2021

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

I'm well past the point of working for free unless it's for a friend or I really dig a project because I (correctly) consider this work and I'd absolutely rather be doing something else with my time. However I guess my main advice would be that if you have the time and the footage/audio/whatever is professional enough to put on your demo then fine, take a volunteer gig if you want. If it's something you'd be embarrassed by once it's finalized then I'd say don't bother.

Regarding Backstage, yeah it's like $75/yr after using a promo code or referral link. I plan to call them sometime this week though to hash out some questions I have regarding client accountability and payment enforcement so I have a better idea of wtf the process is on the other side of things.

Thanks for the pointers. I haven't taken the time to seriously look for any gigs in a long while now. So I'll have to get back at it again and see if I can find something small that pays.
I very much appreciate the "dispelling" of voice acting that this thread provides. Especially referencing the hypothetical (but all too real) scenarios posted at top of the OP. Now I just gotta be self-aware enough to not become like that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The link you posted doesn't seem to work. It just says no preview available and no download button or anything. I wouldn't mind giving it a go perhaps, especially since I have a computer engineering degree myself. However I have very limited experience and I feel like I need to smoke for a decade and pick up the habit of drinking booze before my voice will be any interesting to listen to. :v: