Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Joe Man posted:

Shure SM58 (XLR wired): http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm58-vocal-microphone
This is also a wonderful mic, and an excellent option if you have a mixing/sound board. I've used this microphone extensively in a radio station and it gives a very clean recording. Durable as hell, too. Apparently they've come out with an XLR-USB adaptor, but I don't have any experience with it so I can't comment. Might be something to look into.

Tiny pet peeve of mine is things being called a XXX to USB adaptor, and I just want to clarify for those not realising it, that in this case it's nothing but a compact and feature limited external soundcard. Keep this in mind when considering your options. Must say it's not extremely expensive, though.

I'm a bit surprised to see the SM58 recommended specifically here. It's not a bad microphone, but it's main qualities are price and durability. It's the goto mic for live, rather than studio vocal work. Although it's obviously a massive step up from built in microphones and other computer oriented gear, certainly for some quieter and higher pitched voices, more sensitivity in the higher frequencies is wanted. Which you can only really get with a condenser microphone, rather than a dynamic one. Someone correct me if I'm horribly out of line here, this is mostly based on what I've read.

I've been out of this game too long to give a specific alternative recommendation, but I've heard that on the budget side of the market, Samson has surprisingly decent offerings.

EDIT
vvvv Fair, very much so. Wasn't exactly criticizing, sorry if it sounds that way. Just honestly surprised.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU