Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
There's a bunch of accent videos on youtube, but you'd want to take suggestions from some of the vets here as to which are worth your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Good on you, lad. Hope all goes well.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

The original USB model: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464S

With some slight post-production, all of my recordings are clean as a whistle. I have zero desire or need for an XLR setup.

Huh, cool. What're the pros and cons of a Yeti over a Snowball?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

blinkeve1826 posted:

Two things:

1) ANIMATED SHORT VOICEOVER AUDITION: Hi folks! A local animation studio is looking for a non-union female VO to narrate a three-minute animated informational short. I'm helping them out by sending some good auditions their way.

Dang, my falsetto is terrible. Sounds like a Yorkshire fisherwife getting kicked repeatedly in the fork.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Man, the only advice I was given was 'If you don't want scraps, trying not living in a place 3000km away from a continent' for getting into video game stuff.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Holy gently caress, Avenue Q? Wicked jell, buddy, I saw the official act in Auckland and it kicked enormous rear end. Pity they'll never come back.

Seconded on the full-time job angle, although it does provide me with the means to spring gifts on the missus/family every now and again.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Huh. Lords of Xulima's getting a sequel. Don't suppose they're reprising roles?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oh. I was more speculating than actually asking, but that answers it!

Cheers, Joe.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It doesn't seem very good, same with Voice123.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I kinda walked out on BTVA, I couldn't really find much stuff that was worth auditioning for. Got cast for over 50% of my roles, though, which buffed up my self confidence a little. Even did the fandub of the Suicide Squad movie.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Nope, straight up re-doing the voices of the movie. I had Black Spider and Alfred.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Pleasure.

I would thank you to keep the anime emoticons to a minimum. Otherwise, welcome abroad.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Friend of a friend invited me to audition for a Steam VN, paying gig. Haven't heard anything back so I guess they got someone with an American accent.

Otherwise, pretty quiet. Manning's not got anything going for a bit.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I go by the going rates of more regular voice artists.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

*cough*

Let's say my PMs saw regular use and leave it at that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

So I've managed to land myself a part with a fairly notorious internet production, but I need to sound 'younger'. I'm not sure how, besides punching myself in the nuts or inhaling helium. Ideas?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Bummer, I can't scab from New Zealand.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Eck, all of my little brothers are too old.

I hope this means the death of the AAA games industry.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

Might be holding a couple auditions soon or contacting folks directly for a smaller project. Waiting on budget confirmation.

Hot piss, lemme know.

Sup nerd, looks like you came in at a good time.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You'd think that with animated and non-visual productions (Movies, vidya, audiobooks) taking off, there'd be more demand for VAs, not less.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Talented VAs, then. Scott McNeil and Kath Soucie are gods, but not omnipresent ones.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oh. I mean, I did some work for exposure back in the day (For all the good that did me) but...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

My wife recently encouraged me to push harder on trying to make VO a career but I'm scared of poo poo like this. How common are situations like this?

Common enough that the Union in the States went on strike recently. Tara Strong, Scott McNeil, all the big names get poo poo pay and benefits.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Best to do both - although if you have enough differences you might want to make several reels. Character, Commercial, Call-messages, so forth.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm installing Witcher 3, so I had time to submit a few. Mostly villains - always more fun to be a villain.

I totally modelled my Aug audition on Neroth (coughSindricough) from Dawn of War, which was fun as hell.

Word to the wise: Pronunciation is very American - deeper a's, contracted r's.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yaaaay, I did well.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Got anything in the lists, Joe?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You know where to find me.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Eh, I scored the big bad roles for both Xanadu games so I'm p busy on that front.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Haaang on, is this the same parade thing I did a year or two back? I'm still waiting on the end result.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I still need to clock LoX, come to think of it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

1. I did the phone network messages for a lot of clients and had my ego stroked on discord for wandering into a voicechat and stopping all the conversation.
2. I was also occupied with my actual job at the time, so I forgot to charge them for it.
3. I'd like to get involved with a project.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Eeeh. It sounds more scripted than an actual conversation - Which is rather a limiter when you're acting out a conversation. Then again, the shrooms and surfboarding is fairly camp, so I don't think it'll break that too much. Get some more practice in and you'll be fine - when I was learning English, I went over the lines in the Blackadder and Red Dwarf series to figure out the highs and lows of emphasis, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2v_lpwjKUw&t=69s

If you're going for dramatic, on the other hand, the Darkest Dungeon Narrator is definitely a good example of correct trill and flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiqCYrNmwkM

I really wish I'd know they were casting for that one, those lines would be fine as hell to do.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Doesn't audacity have a pitch function?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Sorry dude, but I can't sound young to save my life.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

YOU'RE TOO SLOW

(Jokes, I'm not betting money on my auds)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

If I start going over the top, I get massively paranoid about going ham. It's something I could never shake.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I can read faster than I speak, so I usually have the script in front of me. After that, it depends on if I can make minor adjustments for tone and flow - depends on the director.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I got approached to do the campaign ad for UKIP for some loving reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I always wanted to do Lovecraftian stuff, but Wayne June nails it so hard that it just robs me of any confidence in matching up.