Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Name: ChaosTheory (CornetTheory)

Specialties: Serious Old/ middle-aged guy. Dr. Kleiner

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/chaostheory

IMDB/Portfolio:

http://www.onlyintheory.com/audio/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2651160/

Contact: Information (email, skype) in the footer of my website

Payment: paypal is my email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Leofish posted:

script

I'll read a part, I'll leave it open as to which part I do, but I'm not a good obama.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Another famous script for VO challenges: "The Retro Encabulator" This script was soley designed to make fun of technobabble. I encourage everyone to give it a try as it is good practice for words you can't read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator

wikipedia posted:

Retroencabulator script

Here at Rockwell Automation's world headquarters, research has been proceeding to develop a line of automation products that establishes new standards for quality, technological leadership and operating excellence. With customer success as our primary focus, work has been proceeding on the crudely conceived idea of an instrument that would not only provide inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters.

Such an instrument comprised of Dodge gears and bearings, Reliance Electric motors, Allen-Bradley controls, and all monitored by Rockwell Software is Rockwell Automation's retro-encabulator.

Now basically the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it's produced by the modial interaction of magneto reluctance and capacitive duractance. The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings ran in a direct line with the panametric fan.

The line-up consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzul vanes so fitted to the ambaphascient lunar wain shaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-odeltoid type placed in panendurmic semi-bulloid slots of the stator. Every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremmy pipe to the differential girdle spring on the up-end of the grammeters.

Moreover, whenever fluorescent square motion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with the drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
The retro-encabulator has now reached a high level of development, and it’s being successfully used in the operation of Milford trunnions. It's available soon, wherever Rockwell Automation products are being sold.

Here is my take of it for Shits and Giggles:

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 29, 2012

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Adib:

If your voice naturally sounds like you are trying to lower it, try using a higher pitch. You might have just learned to talk unnaturally low for whatever reason and your voice is really tenor. It sounds like you open your throat and lower your jaw too much. Or you could be like Ray Romano's cop brother in his show.

So, try talking like Patrick [from Spongebob], like over the top, and focus on how you make that voice...then try not to do that. Patrick's character voice is like the extreme "trying to talk low" guy.

Also, what might really help is if you can read a few sentences on video, its hard to tell if you have some kind of habit without seeing what your face is doing. Got a YouTube account and a webcam?

Stinkmeister:

Whenever you end a phrase you elongate whatever the last word is. "Summerset Hilllls"

The other thing that I hear is that you need to start sentences with a higher pitch, so that by the time you end the phrase your voice has somewhere to go. I feel like the last few words are bottoming out your vocal range, thus causing the strange pitch pattern.

For example: "Third phase of buildinnng" the word building should have a rapid descent in pitch, but instead it stays the same pitch for the most part.

"raise their kids" the word kids is good, this is how all the phrases should end. Proper word length and pitch lowering.

Takoluka posted:

ChaosTheory, I just want to pop in and say you voiced my favorite interpretation of "Doom: Repercussions of Evil". Thank you for that.

Wow, its made rounds then.

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 31, 2012

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I will give this a shot, do you have Skype?

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Health Services posted:

Thanks! If you send me an email to gpressey@connect.carleton.ca, we can work out a time to get in contact.

I never got an e-mail back from you, so I suppose you got it done then?

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

blinkeve1826 posted:

stuff

You forgot our little adult audiobook.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
But my dear it's full blast

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 20, 2012

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
is that lamethrower AT hotmail.co.uk

or blamethrower AT hotmail.co.uk
?

EDIT: blamethrower AT hotmail.co.uk failed, so I guess it is lamethrower

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 25, 2012

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
how did those galaxies formed?

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I used the MXL990 for years before moving to the Shure super 55.

The biggest improvement was the pickup pattern. So, if you are going for the MXL, keep in mind that it is sensitive to the noise around and far away from it... such as your computer, or the road outside; while the super 55 has a narrow range right in front of it. Thus the super 55 is slightly better for more noisy situations...which doesn't excuse high noise, but the mxl doesn't help.

If you have a great recording situation (low noise, good absorption) the mxl is a great value, and is more than capable of producing great recordings.

...don't know anything about the snowball.

Also try not to become an equipment collector/snob. You'll just end up spending a bunch of money while you'll naturally get better anyway as you practice.

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 11, 2012

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
If you can get away with it, you can try to put your computer/laptop inside a closet. Test to make sure nothing overheats, and buy extension cables for your usb and monitors.

After that, get the boom stand and figure out a comfortable recording position. Only good practice makes perfect after all.

Then worry about a better mic after you get your technique figured out. Because you can't test the consistency of a mic unless you are consistent.

If you can nail the sources of noise and improve your technique then you reduce the need for a fancy booth.

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 12, 2012

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
The only issue is that this thread (so far) partly goes against the no soliciting rule. So someone needs to create a VO thread in the appropriate place to handle that communication. Plus the OP should be changed also.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I had nothing to do with this thread getting moved, I just pointed out after the fact that people were posting jobs here.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Brought to you by Powerthirst:

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I think my voice would be too old for Nemo, but thanks for the link to the comics, this is a great collection.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I just wanted to mention that the dude I did the reading for never got back to me. No hard feelings, but did you end up using it? Are you still there DaveP?

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

blinkeve1826 posted:

Also, crossposting from this thread, where the OP abandoned his thread after getting a bunch of VO samples:

Just a heads up to everyone who posted in this thread who's interested in doing any VO work in the future, especially through semi-anonymous means of communication like this--I don't know exactly what happened on the OP's end, but this is a prime example of why you should somehow watermark your auditions. Like a visual watermark, this just means doing something to your work so that it can't be used without your knowledge and/or permission. For audio files, this can mean making/sending a lower quality file than that which you would send for a real booking (like IzzyFnStradlin did), or adding intermittent sounds, like a beep or tone, throughout the file (that's what I do). This was a lesson I had to learn the hard way myself and hopefully it'll help some of you in the future.

seconded, It happened to me in this thread, the guy never got back to me.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Never heard of it, but I'll sign up and find out!

EDIT: https://www.acx.com/narrator?p=A1B6COIAVUC19E

Took me a few minutes to set up a profile, I'll let you all know if I get any hits.

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 12, 2012

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
USB mics just have sound cards inside them. Unless you are recording directly to magnetic tapes, the signal gets converted to digital at some point anyway.

So a usb mic really isn't inferior based on that metric alone. The difference comes from timing, like if you have a computer as a mixer and some digital and analog mics, the digital mics might have a little latency.

Also, the mic might have an inferior digital converter to your pro sound card... but I doubt that you need 192khz from your mic for voice.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
So, I just completed my first gig on ACX, It was a short story so the whole read was about 20 mins.

I'll let you folks know when it is available to sample / buy.

Just as a warning though, I did need to produce this all by myself, which I don't have a problem with. But it definitely wasn't just sending raw files to an editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Hey fellas, here is my first successful ACX project. to prove further that it isn't a scam.

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_2_5?asin=B00EE8QDWI&qid=1376064136&sr=2-5