Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Kingtheninja posted:

If I bought it off Amazon, am I able to deal with Yeti directly? Or do I need to go through the return process with Amazon?

If you bought it recently then I'd say just return via Amazon. Mine was a receipt-less gift so I had to go through Blue. They are very good about fixing quick and returning. But they are bad at communicating. They would often tell me that once I sent them my UPS tracking code they would put a replacement in the mail. I would give it to them and then they'd say "Well... we need to make sure you really sent it..." So it would end up taking a week +.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

My old casting director friend just posted this on Facebook.

http://www.backstage.com/advice-for-actors/speak-easy/so-you-want-be-voice-actor/

I guess its a new VO focused column in Backstage.

In other news I went from being the #1 choice for an Ink Master promo piece to out of the running in the span of 5 minutes, yesterday. Hooray!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Hey guys if you're looking for a cheap sound dampener. Mass Drop just posted this Monoprice Microphone Isolation Shield. It goes for $80 on amazon.

I haven't bought one but I have looked into them before. Just thought I'd share.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Where do they post that sort of thing?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I'll give it a shot tonight.

I gave it a shot tonight.

4 takes done very late at night...

King Lou fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 24, 2014

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Cool beans. I'm glad it worked out.

Man, is it snowy wherever you are. Gross!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

supermikhail posted:

Possible to record a bloodcurdling scream in my own room in an apartment (I'm just thinking how awkward it'll be, especially with how many tries I'll probably have to do, not being an actor)? Alternatively, any free scream samples?

Check out sounddogs.com they have a lot of clips for use.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Nice work!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I just got this email for those in NYC

quote:

You're Invited to a
Meet & Greet Voices.com at
Edge Studio
Wednesday, 15 July 2015 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM (EDT)

Hello Luis,

Let's meet in New York City!

Join Voices.com's Co-founder and Chief Marketing Officer, Stephanie Ciccarelli, and Talent Services Manager, Jennifer Smith, at Edge Studio .

This is a great chance to network and chat about voice over, how to market yourself, and more!

You won't want to miss out on the free Q&A session with Jennifer.

Be sure to RSVP soon, due to limited space.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/meet-greet-voicescom-at-edge-studio-tickets-17619236611

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I finally got a copy of my VO from this League of Legends event from Madison Square Garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ijRbcUO0g

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I did all my early recording on a Blue Snowball. Then when I bought Protools I bought a $90 MXL mic that was pretty good. Last year I bought a Shure SM7B and its pretty decent. I can't say i notice a ton of difference with any of them. I just keep having to buy more gear to make them work with my system.

Speaking of ProTools... I love the non-linear editing it does. It's total overkill for what I do, mostly. I've used Audacity a ton but I prefer ProTools. The real problem is that Avid is a terrible company that does a lovely job of fixing their software problems. And worse are the people who hang out in their forums. I've rarely experienced less helpful assholes. That's saying something because I read people being awful all the time.

Do most people use Audacity?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

No, that is CB Mullen. He's the Riot stage manager & swag guy. I was in the Riot family area briefly visiting my wife & kids.

All my VO stuff was prerecorded. One day I hope they'll let me do it live...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I'm still here!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Here's a good question that has probably already been covered over the many pages in this thread.

How do you determine what to charge clients? I have a terrible track record of just not knowing what to ask for when people want my rate. I also have a terrible track record of asking for what I think is reasonable and being treated like I asked for a reach around.

So, how do you know what to charge & what resources do you quote when challenged?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

I go by the going rates of more regular voice artists.

But where do you find those?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Good luck! Safe travels.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

When I was doing some spots for Spotify, the company that hired me was paying like $150 for a Spotify spot. The owner of the company caught wind of this and flipped out saying that we should get paid $50 a spot. He saw no value in actually using professional VO people. My friend, who was the producer of the spots, refused to cheap out. He quit there shortly after.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I worked with a VO agent to make my demo. He helped me pick copy that he thought could show off my range. Then we went to a small audio studio and he sat with me while I did a bunch of takes until he & the engineer decided that they had good takes. The engineer pulls some stock music to play under the tracks and everyone signs off on them. Then they edit & deliver you an MP3 (maybe they still give you a CD?). You may have to pay extra to get a copy of the recording session backup.

I had to go back and request tweaks because the engineer left in some weird mouth sounds and bad music levels that were covering words. Remember that often (most) engineers literally don't care about more than making the most basic edits to your demo. Nor will they give you any direction. That isn't their job and they just want to be finished. That is just my experience. You may luck out and find someone who is willing to offer opinions or work with you to make it sound killer.

I learned ProTools/Audacity/Garageband so I could go back in and edit out the parts of my recordings that bother me the most.

I don't recall how much I spent either time...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

One issue I run into is when people ask me for my rates I have no idea what to say. I usually ask people what their budget is and go from there. My experience with giving rates up front has always resulted in people walking away (and I'm not asking for a lot of money, either.)

On this linkedin group for VOs I brought this up and people shared the following two links that I thought were helpful.

http://sagaftranumbers.sagaftra.org/ - you put in what kind of ad it is and it generates a standard SAG rate.

http://www.globalvoiceacademy.com/rate-guide/ - More of a loose guide but still helpful.

If anyone wants to check out the LinkedIN group check it out https://www.linkedin.com/groups/132961

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

There is also the Voices.com group. https://www.linkedin.com/groups/61762

I'm sure there are others as well.

Voices.com, while being an oversaturated pay to play system does a lot of good & free online presentations for VO business guidance. When I was a member of voices I sat in on a bunch of the presentations. They cover audition basics, how to boost your profile, etc. Voices.com is WAY too saturated with talent to consider signing up for, IMO. By the time I got home to record an audition I'd be like submission 250 or higher. Having worked in post-production for years I know that unless people are being super picky they usually find a suitable VO in that 1st 100 (if not 50)

Would we be opposed to making a list of website where people regularly post VO gigs (paid, free & otherwise)?

I've heard people talk about behindthevoiceactors.com but I'm not sure how it works. There are a lot of small fan dubs & other small gigs there.

Other resources?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I reached out to a tangent agency here in my local area. What general expectations should I have if I start working with a talent agency?

Well if you work for a tangent agency you should expect a completely different line of thought or action.

Talent agencies are weird. If they like you enough to take you on then you basically wait around for them to tell you to go audition here or there. In my experience they want to make sure that you're good enough to send out to auditions to land them because that is when they make money. I don't know if they take a cut if you do work you find yourself, like an agent... That may sound stupid...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Got this email

quote:

J. Michael Collins , top-booking talent and Voice123 Expert will be leading this webinar. He will guide you and give you tips to update your profile and excel in Voice123. Don't miss out on this great opportunity!

Join us on February 8th, 2017 at 11:00 am PT. Please subscribe to the link below:
https://torre.zoom.us/webinar/register/a58159337285c12466858a512be5123a

We have 100 spots available, so sign up now!

These usually have some merit even if they are kind of oversimplified.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

It's the people who keep at it that book jobs. As my friend says "Gotta stay on that actor grind."

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Interesting article on P2P sites and how actors approach them.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/4-types-p2p-voice-over-battersall-swinging-fence-mike-tobin?trk=mp-au.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Hey NYC VO folks. I just got this in the mail.

https://www.voices.com/upcoming/levelup/newyork

I know many people are anti-P2P. I didn't have any luck with Voice.com but had a fair amount of luck with Voice123. YMMV

I find there is usually some decent networking to be done at these things if you aren't shy.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I met Blinkeve at an NYC VO event that was literally the last one that organization was having. I haven't heard of another one in NYC. There may be another one but I haven't heard of it.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Nice little article about making sure you get paid.

https://vomasterclass.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/what-to-do-when-voice-over-client-wont.html

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Dag... it appears Tindeck is gone or got corrupted. :saddowns: I foolishly kept a lot of random stuff there.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Well now it's back up... so... nevermind...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

This video I did some VO for a while back just got posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uIeKsI94D4

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

It's been a few years since I was on Voice123 but i don't recall there being a lot of audio book work there. Mostly cheap, local commercials & weird website vo jobs. I landed 2 weird jobs there. DoctorsHelp.com & PsychicsHelp.com (both RIP). But you might get lucky. They are good at hiding their paying jobs.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

How do you use Twitter for work?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

1) I did more "me" projects in 2017. Including my Alternate Side Talking Series where I sometimes got people to sit in my car with me during Alternate Side Parking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGrJZtrVHp8
2) I recorded less podcasts & general VO than I wanted.
3) I would like to actually audition more in 2018.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Dang. I'm sorry I missed you class here in NYC. Thanks for sharing the open call link.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

So, when I got laid off in May I started doing VO auditions on the pay to play sites again. This is the first thing that came in. Pretty standard explainer video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycDmCM7LrjM

I landed another job but they have not been responding for my requests for a copy of the spot...

I've taken a little break from the grind of auditioning because it gets a little depressing after a couple of months but I'm starting up again after I post the next episode of Lou Reads.

Here's an audition I did that I really liked but didn't get the gig.

That concludes my non-regularly scheduled update.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I did another small regional spot for the Buffalo, NY area. They remembered me from a Voice123 audition I didn't get. Low budget but with this gig I paid the pay to play fee. Shrug.

https://vimeo.com/293379281

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Whomever thought the Voices123.com new website was ok to launch should be fired.

I have never seen a more buggy release from a professional company for, well, anything. It rarely works well enough to even brute force my way through.

Features just randomly disappear, it often starts randomly flipping through pages of auditions or randomly clicking on profiles.

Holy poo poo was this beta tested at all??

I was in on the call when they announced they were switching over to this "new system." It's really hosed up, though. They clearly launched in what most people would probably consider Alpha Dev state. I have been angrily taking screenshots of all the loving terrible design choices. Everything about it is super awful. A classic "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation. I'd love to see the volume of hate mail they are getting. I started getting job suggestions again but I now super hate using the site because the UX is so hosed.

In related news I booked a killer job on Voice123 to record announcements for this NBA G League team. I did one recording and it became clear that the producer, who was into my voice, was not in charge of the VO and they switched back to their other guy without telling me. I had to pursue the guy to get an explanation as to why a 15 spot job turned into one and I had to the detective work to figure it out. I did get paid for my one spot but it was went from being "Christmas is saved!" to "Oh, right... yeah... no presents this year!" real quick!

In other news, Cuisinart has been playing my 8 year old national spot since Thanksgiving... too bad I don't get residuals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsYtYCnLkY

Whenever it plays my ears perk up...

EDIT: non-sourpus news: I did win a quick one off gig for some video game called "Blade Bastards" and have been asked to do pick ups for that canvas awning company from Buffalo. So... I'm in the black on voice123 finally...

Happy holidays everyone!

King Lou fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 18, 2018

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Covok posted:

Hey, I just wanted to say that that came out really well and sounded really professional and was good. Maybe not the best constructive criticism, but I want to let you know that it sounded really good. Also you sound a lot like Lou from Lou Reads the Internet.

I appreciate it. And yeah, I'm that guy from the internet reading. Any feedback is good considering the normal feedback one gets from places like Voice123 is never hearing anything unless you book a job. Once or twice I've had people reach out to me to tell me that they wanted my voice but were out voted... That's always a weird but appreciated consolation prize...

Oh, I was going to say that the only good thing that Voice123 has done is build in the audition beep automatically so clients can't just steal your VO and ghost.

EDIT: In job news I made $100 to say "AWWW, MY FOOT!" in some upcoming promo for "How to Train Your Dragon 3...."

King Lou fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 24, 2018

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

King Lou posted:

EDIT: In job news I made $100 to say "AWWW, MY FOOT!" in some upcoming promo for "How to Train Your Dragon 3...."

I just happened to see this commercial today on ESPN. I was like... "Oh poo poo! It's the AWWW MY FOOT commercial!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy6O7iNeq9Q

The commercial doesn't make a whole lot of sense but whatever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

An interesting interview with the woman who is the voice of Siri
https://thehustle.co/siri-voice-actor