Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Geop posted:

The Blue Yeti is nice, but if you're in an apartment or a noisier place, it'll pick up white noise very easily. I tweaked one for ages and ended up getting the "simpler" cousin, the Blue Snowball :staredog: That said, I found a trick for reducing white noise (or racket in general) in the process: make a sound cube! Awesome guide can be found here.

It's hard to buy it in modest amounts, but I found some Auralex foam here.

Not sure how this would work with the Yeti, honestly, since that thing is freakin' gigantic. Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I don't know if it'd fit in there. I'd like to upgrade from my Blue Snowball on general principle, but the Yeti's sensitivity coupled with my apartment makes it impossible.

Glad to see this thread get made! Sure I'll see some familiar faces here soon enough :). I picked up a Blue Yeti Pro with a Blue windscreen about two weeks ago for my online DJing and I am really impressed with it so far. I just love the quality of vocals on this thing. I used to use a Samson C01U but I just never really was a fan of it - I eventually ended up using the built in microphone on my old Sennheiser PC 350s for my shows (surprising quality, actually). When I get home a bit later I'll set up a little profile post. I think I posted literally the worst samples of my voice I had in that other thread since they were all I had on hand!

Even when I was handling announcements back in the day at my old job it was always for a laugh and will likely always be that way for me. Not looking to go pro ;). I'd love to see this thread become a resource for places to hone vocal technique, etc. Do you folks have any recommendations as far as resources to learn from?

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Geop posted:

The Blue Yeti with its windscreen looks awesome in pictures, but I recall reading that it was a nightmare to attach. Is that true?

It definitely IS awesome but you are correct in that it is tricky to attach. Well, not really tricky but it isn't stable. You screw it on against the back of the stand the yeti comes with and moving the mic around will rather easily dislodge it if you jostle it at all. If you have it nice and tight it won't droop or anything, though. I don't use a different mic stand or anything so I never move it. Once I had it in place I had no issue. Check out this helpful youtube if you want to quickly and safely drill a little hole in to have a more solid solution. I'd do it myself if I really had any issue with the filter but I don't.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Joe Man posted:

It's supposed to be a 30s spot, but I don't care about time requirements. Just want to hear how you sound with something more down to earth.

Saw this post right at the end of my show. SAM was recording anyway so I figured I would give this a shot (ignoring time requirements) so I could start getting some feedback on this type of thing! I kept the vocals louder so nothing would bury any awful mistakes - tough when you've never really tried to do a commercial type of thing :). Still having an issue with saliva though (especially since I drink during my shows!)

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Happened to catch this on my last forums read of the night. Excellent advice and I seriously appreciate it. I am going to give that reading another shot during the week when I am feeling bright and normal and can properly focus on enunciation. IMO the most helpful bit is about reading like you are talking directly to someone. I have zero experience with any of this so I think I am subconsciously ripping off all the monotone classical music station DJs I listen to, hah. Definitely not a one-size-fits-all solution!

Thanks again for the awesome thread.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Camo Guitar posted:

Hey guys and girls - If anyone's looking for practice, here's a promo script you can sink your teeth into for something/our next 'cost us nothing' stunt we've got coming up in a week or two:

I look forward to being able to knock this one out when I can be a bit more boisterous tomorrow!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had some fun with this one! Little did I know due to my headphones being on that the girl scouts were calling around the neighborhood and every dog decided to freak out on most of my little takes :)

Anyway, here's a dog-free take in my "giving away a car" voice not meant for big serious radio!

optional comedy option take after I totally lost my low end at the end

Nothing like a little puking DJ voice in the evening. Also are you supposed to do these in one go?! Put any energy into it and boy am I out of air

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hah, thanks for posting that up! That flows awesomely well - you've got to be used to throwing a million of these together by now I take it? I am really loving all of the awesome advice in this thread. Glad to see it becoming our goon go-to for learning what's up

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 8, 2012

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I recorded this with two different character voices. This is the first one.

Overproduced as usual, obviously.

If that was you barking that's the best dog bark I've heard since Paul McCartney

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I actually just found this thread again after a buddy on Steam pointed the move out to me. I haven't really had the motivation I've been looking for since my DJ shows were interrupted by life. My idea for myself is to pick one of the reads from this thread and just go hog wild trying to nail it down and have fun with it - maybe retro turbo : ). I just need a goal and to get into the zone! Don't lose hope thread we've all got plenty of practice ahead of us

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haven't gotten to catch up with this thread in a while. I wanted to pass along my thanks again for giving me some feedback on that Summerset Hills bit I vomited up a few months back, Joe. It was a great little kick in the rear end and while I haven't really sought work I did end up as a one liner (literally) in a professionally done video for a message campaign. Specifically thinking about who the message is for and "acting" more the part was really helpful (it also helps to be in the zone, hah). It was really fun to do and bullshitting with the director and camera guy gave me some insight into the process on the visual side of things. It'll be cool to see when it is out on youtube or where the hell ever, that's for sure.

On the equipment side of things they finally ended up releasing a shock mount that is made for the Blue Yeti Pro so I'll be checking that out today. Little things make me excited sometimes : )

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 22, 2013

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's the one. It'll work fine with the Pro. When the Blue Yeti first came out for a good while there was a Blue shock mount out already that didn't work with it and there was nothing out yet to take its place. I guess it would be more accurate to say "I finally checked again" ; )

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
New demo found.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Total aside, but I lost all of my damned settings in SAM broadcaster when I moved to Windows 8.1. Whoops! This is the closest thread I can think of to where people might also have online radio shows. Any guides for setting up EQ (specifically with SAM would own) for use with shoutcast type deals (128 kbps streaming)? Don't even remember where I got my like settings from but I use a Blue Yeti Pro I've been very happy with.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Isn't the Yeti XLR as well? I know my Yeti Pro is.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Those are really fun to do! I posted here forever ago and got some nice advice on Summerset - just never really knew where to start so I didn't take advantage of my enthusiasm to make something happen. I still have fun with voice stuff occasionally. Korusan's post reminded me of a short video I just made for my roommate who loves Rick and Morty and DOTA. I guess if there are any RM fans in here you can let me know how close I got!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjLHnNtkB70

Honestly, it was really fun just trying to be these two dudes for 5 minutes. If you haven't tried it, making some private recordings of popular characters can be a fun shameful secret!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, it has been so long but I still have my Blue Yeti for gaming and general music recording. What a great mic! Thought after all these years it would be fun to record another take at Somerset Hills:

https://soundcloud.com/incredulousdylan/somserset-hills

Still wish I had gotten into VO, but I've got a mortgage! Keep rocking it, guys!