Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just checking because I'm not sure how frequently the OP is updated—is the Blue Yeti still the best mic for cheap voice recording? I was hoping for something under $100 but if the difference between great quality and trash is $20 I'm happy to spring for the Yeti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hey all! I'm no VO pro, but I am putting together a video project where I'm doing the voiceover. Was hoping to get a little perspective on my read by posting some (WIP) audio that you can listen to here and here. It's for a ~40 minute doc on monster/folklore history, for context.

My main question is, is it "too much"? I've found that I'm not very good at having conversational, naturalistic reads in my past voice "work" so I've tried the other direction for this and attempted to have a bit of a more authoritative/broadcaster lilt to my voice. However, I'm worried that it'll be exhausting to listen to for an extended time, too forceful and too sing-songy and overly serious. Mainly just worried that it sounds like I'm trying waaay too hard. But I also might be overthinking it!

If my anxieties are in fact founded, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or resources for getting a more naturalistic and conversational read? Whenever I've tried it's always ended up seeming like I'm reading off of a piece of paper. I'd love to be able to sound extemporaneous but I have no idea how to pull that off, not being a trained actor.

e: The whole thing might be exacerbated by the fact that I can be a little overly-formal in my writing at times, so let me know if you think that might be part of the issue. But I'll also be quoting a good number of historical sources which are written formally.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 28, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Crosspost from the work for hire thread:

I want to finish up an old radio drama from a decade ago that I adore and is 90% finished, but is missing a few key bits to get over the finish line. It's a quick, simple, easy gig for the right voice actor.

I'm looking to record under 50 lines with someone who can do a passable Spanish accent. It really doesn't even need to be that good, just vaguely recognizably from Spain. Most of the lines are from "extras" who speak minor background dialogue, and then there are a handful of lines from a villainous Spanish man who is either sniveling or authoritative.

I'm happy to pay whatever your going rate is—as long as the accent's decent-enough, I'm not picky. I just want to finish the project.

I can also provide you with the audio of characters you'll be talking with, and if it helps, finished scenes so that you get a sense of the tone.