Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I really appreciate you posting this thread. I am surprised that we have so much talent here!

I am coming at it from a different angle; more 'broadcast-y' for lack of a better term. See, i'm starting one of these terrible ironic internet meta podcasts soon, hopefully. I have a lot of things to say, and no idea how to say them. More to the point: I have a very un-powerful, weedy voice that could be well described as 'a voice fit for print'. A lot of the podcast/recording stuff is going to be me working towards my ultimate goal which is to do a couple open mic nights at local standup clubs.

The funny bit is, I have been a ham radio operator for twenty years and a phone-based support tech for ten (on and off), even did a semester at the college FM rotation-factory. I've been talking all my life, but I am painfully aware that I am no golden throat.

I'd like to see if anybody has any tips on putting some huevos into my voice, mic placement, etc. I have condensers and dynamics on tap, 31 bands of eq, enough rack compression to record a death metal band, but you know the saying - garbage in, garbage out. Are pop filters suggested/mandatory? Stuff like that, more towards the voice angle than the acting angle.

I would really appreciate any discussion on this so that I can avoid having to work on my Ira Glass impression as my gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU