Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Is the chevy bolt any good? It kinda seemed more like, 'this is a car but it runs on electricity' and less of 'we are disrupting the transportation sector'. Or are the batteries poo poo or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

Is the chevy bolt any good? It kinda seemed more like, 'this is a car but it runs on electricity' and less of 'we are disrupting the transportation sector'. Or are the batteries poo poo or something?

It fell off the hype radar pretty quick, but yeah it's good. Get a test ride to see if you fit the narrow seats.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tres Burritos posted:

Is the chevy bolt any good? It kinda seemed more like, 'this is a car but it runs on electricity' and less of 'we are disrupting the transportation sector'.
That's exactly what it is.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DoLittle posted:

I think this is Hyundai Kona, except for marketing. I guess they don’t need to market it more to sell the cars they make.

Too expensive for the market I'm describing. Make it a $10k Yaris option and stuff the batteries in the trunk. You don't get a trunk. You get a $25k EV. Every kid that gets a car for graduating high school drives one of these to their first job.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tres Burritos posted:

My colleague at work has one out in Montreal. He absolutely loves his. He's been itching to get an EV for a while now, did a bunch of research and decided on the Bolt. I think his last car was a Golf, but not sure which one. He's a techy guy and loves cars, and I'd trust his opinion of it enough to say that if he thinks it's good, it's likely good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rode in a Bolt on a Lyft ride. From that brief stint and chatting with the driver, it seemed like a fairly ideal vehicle for Lyft rides around town. The interior was standard American car fare, if you can stand it it's fine. He said it was good to drive and that he didn't run out of charge giving rides during the day.

I realize none of that information is super helpful, but ah... yeah, there it is.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Saw a license plate on a Bolt that said "with a B". It's a cool name but annoying if you have to specify Bravo or Victor every time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Charles posted:

Saw a license plate on a Bolt that said "with a B". It's a cool name but annoying if you have to specify Bravo or Victor every time.

When I heard that I thought "so they're just not planning on selling these in Latin America?" because the B and V sounds in Spanish are even more difficult to distinguish than they are in English

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i love that GM came up with two perfectly good names for electric cars, "Volt" and "Ampera"

and then they used them both for the same car (the Volt is called the Ampera in Europe)

and then when they made a second electric car, they called it the Bolt in America and the Ampera-E in Europe

:jeb::jeb::jeb:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, what's even more GM is they have an additional small car that's called the Spark who's only electric attribute is the 12 volt system.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

No, what's even more GM is they have an additional small car that's called the Spark who's only electric attribute is the 12 volt system.

But similarly to the Ampera-E, the electric version is called the Spark EV.

[Electricity reference] [Electricity literal] is the standard naming convention apparently.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

But they did make an electric Spark, but had to designate it with EV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tres Burritos posted:

is tesla disrupting the transportation sector

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is tesla disrupting the transportation sector

Absolutely not. Are they disrupting what people think a car can and should be would be a better question.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Absolutely not. Are they disrupting what people think a car can and should be would be a better question.

Also no.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Powershift posted:

The spark ev is a real good car, which is why they stopped making them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It's the law of headlines in action, folks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
tesla is disrupting the gently caress out of the franchised dealer sales and service model i will give them that

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

The spark ev is a real good car, which is why they stopped making them.

I just re-read this and wanted to make absolutely clear that I am being serious when I say both: the spark ev is a great car and I think that is at least part of the reason they stopped making them.

They're like $10k or less used. CarMax tends to have them and will get them to you if you don't live near an area that sold them originally. If you're reading this and want to dip a toe in the full ev waters, check it out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ola posted:

One thing that might need adjusting in the pessimists' scenario is that QA issues aren't constant. It's not like it's in Tesla's eternal nature to build cars with constantly wide panel gaps. Model S buyers still run into QA issues, but the car is vastly improved from the 1st gen in both component sourcing and build. The Model 3 will improve similarly. One thing they seem to have embraced is to have as few option combinations as possible to streamline production.
This is true of course. But it's also true that reducing QA issues while simultaneously trying to ramp up production rate is very difficult. I wouldn't expect the QA issues on the 3 to fade away until the production rate plateaus at whatever level they are targeting to make the $39k version profitable (10k a week or so?).

Tesla's brand appeal can probably carry them through that, but we'll have to wait and see.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Tres Burritos posted:

Yes, it is good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

tesla is disrupting the gently caress out of the franchised dealer sales and service model i will give them that

Also disrupting the gently caress out of right to repair laws.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Powershift posted:

Also disrupting the gently caress out of right to repair laws.

How likely do you suppose it is that that will bite them in the rear end once the basic Model 3 becomes available? It's certainly understandable that they'd get away with obscene repair costs on a $60,000 car, but a $35,000 car is another matter altogether.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

How likely do you suppose it is that that will bite them in the rear end once the basic Model 3 becomes available? It's certainly understandable that they'd get away with obscene repair costs on a $60,000 car, but a $35,000 car is another matter altogether.

It should be biting them in the rear end right now, as

a. they are the only source for new parts
b. the parts they make are garbage and fail a bunch
c. they can blacklist cars, meaning you can't just go to another "dealer" and buy parts for your blacklisted tesla if the other one won't sell you some

Your door handles failed AGAIN on your salvage title tesla? get hosed, you're bo duke now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there are some people making aftermarket door handles and things now, so i guess that will fix all the problems right

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The last thing i would ever want in this entire world is a dorman version of a tesla designed part.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tres Burritos posted:

Is the chevy bolt any good?
It excels in the "nice tech stuffed into this" department for the premium builds because the 360 overhead view thing it does is usually seen in like the 60k BMWs and poo poo.

The thing fails completely in the interior and the seats are a little uncomfortable. It's a great car until you sit down in it, sadly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

The last thing i would ever want in this entire world is a dorman version of a tesla designed part.

I for one look forward to Doorman touch pads :colbert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tres Burritos posted:

It's exactly what a consumer EV should be, just a car that you fuel differently. Not going to revolutionize the world, but will probably sell to people who'd never drop $TESLA.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Powershift posted:

Sparky Spark?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

FilthyImp posted:

It excels in the "nice tech stuffed into this" department for the premium builds because the 360 overhead view thing it does is usually seen in like the 60k BMWs and poo poo.

The thing fails completely in the interior and the seats are a little uncomfortable. It's a great car until you sit down in it, sadly.

I had to sleep in mine (driver's seat), and it while not super comfortable, I was able to fall asleep for about 3 hours. Though the car automatically turns off when parked for 2 hours :argh:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

My colleague at work has one out in Montreal. He absolutely loves his. He's been itching to get an EV for a while now, did a bunch of research and decided on the Bolt. I think his last car was a Golf, but not sure which one. He's a techy guy and loves cars, and I'd trust his opinion of it enough to say that if he thinks it's good, it's likely good.

Update on this, I talked to him yesterday about it and he's brought it back for the fourth time to fix some external trim piece that whistles at speed because it wasn't glued down right at the factory, and told the service manager not to give the car back until it has been fixed properly. So the usual Chevy dealer service. I guess poorly installed trim that whistles is more noticeable without engine noise, and also not exclusively a problem with Teslas.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Finger Prince posted:

Update on this, I talked to him yesterday about it and he's brought it back for the fourth time to fix some external trim piece that whistles at speed because it wasn't glued down right at the factory, and told the service manager not to give the car back until it has been fixed properly. So the usual Chevy dealer service. I guess poorly installed trim that whistles is more noticeable without engine noise, and also not exclusively a problem with Teslas.

Lol, point for the boring low range no battery temp control Leaf

Most other EVs: 159
Leaf: like, 4, probably

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I guess you can find several year old Fiat 500Es for cheap, but it sounds like a terrible idea

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

About the Tesla buyout, I wonder if it's Apple. Tesla at $420 is $70B, Apple has close to $300B in cash they don't know what to do with. And they have been wanting to get into the car business, but they put their own project on ice in 2016.

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 9, 2018

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
I just made a little over $60k on my calls I posted about earlier.

Just checked my brokerage account.

Thanks for being consistently wrong goons, I couldn't have done it without you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

The Sicilian posted:

I just made a little over $60k on my calls I posted about earlier.

Just checked my brokerage account.

Thanks for being consistently wrong goons, I couldn't have done it without you.

Oh hey I was just talking about how this thread is probably going to cause me an aneurysm. Good timing friend.

Is there anything else off-topic you'd like to brag about?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Adiabatic posted:

Oh hey I was just talking about how this thread is probably going to cause me an aneurysm. Good timing friend.

Is there anything else off-topic you'd like to brag about?

Naw I’m good, an options call made as a joke earned more than most goons will make in a year.

Pretty happy with that.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hopefully you can buy an agreeable personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
This thread is SUCH A DUMPSTER FIRE

Adiabatic posted:

Hopefully you can buy an agreeable personality.

:iceburn:

Sicilian for annoying idiot 2018

(But seriously, cmon, those last two posts are actually the worst)

• Locked thread