Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Kenshin posted:

Clever. :)

It'd be funnier if the car was just painted lime green instead of implying it's so eco-friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

ppp posted:

"Tesla batteries can remain unplugged for weeks (even months), without reaching zero state of charge."

Maybe they meant even months as in 2 (February), 4 (April), 6 (June), etc. You just can't leave it unplugged for a whole even month followed directly by an odd month :P

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Squibbles posted:

The whole segment kind of poo poo all over electric cars in general and blasted it for having poor battery life and how its brakes overheated on the track (I think) and a few other things if I remember correctly. It was far and away more critical than pretty much any piece I have seen them do aside from the clearly joke ones they did for that 3 wheeled car or other vehicles of that nature.

I was totally gonna buy a Robin until that episode opened my eyes to its poor handling at speed.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Squibbles posted:

How's the Volt stack up against the Fusion Energi? The EV range goes Volt > Plugin Energi > Plugin Prius right?

Also isn't the 2013 Volt like 5 miles greater range than the 2012? Or was that 2012 over 2011?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

sharkytm posted:

She doesn't like driving stick... forgot to mention that. If she did, it'd be a done deal.
Its also why the 2500HD has an auto, my old Ranger was stick, and she HATED driving that.

So you keep her Fit and sell yours? If your main concern is fuel economy and price I'm guessing the driving experience of a manual Fit over and auto is something you could compromise on? Or do you track it or something?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

duz posted:

So jealous. I hope this leads to more quick chargers us non-Teslas can use.

Are these really Tesla-specific chargers? Is there not an industry standard electric port that everything can use, or is there a separate port on Tesla's for a proprietary Tesla quick charge? Seems like the last thing car manufacturers would want to do is make electric cars that won't play nice with whatever infrastructure gets developed for them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I wonder though if in the future, third parties might just make adapters either for the shape or an actual a/c adapter that could step down the voltage so if say the 2020 Nissan Leaf had its own version of quick charge that maybe was slightly slower than Tesla's, you could make an adapter to step Tesla's charger down to Nissan's. Or do these chargers actually require you to log in or use a credit card or something to verify you own a Tesla? Or possibly a data port within the charger cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Squibbles posted:

Surely Tesla would sue unless it was an unofficial third party part since as noted above, these things are free as part of the money you paid to buy a Tesla car in the first place.

Also, not sure how big a device/adapter would be to step down high currents/voltages like that?

Yeah I was sort of thinking about a black market Chinese adapter people would find on ebay and would probably destroy your car half the time, I was just curious if it was technically possible. Obviously this connector is a lot more complicated than those adapters that take any micro usb cable and change to an iphone adapter for charging. Down the line I'm just imagining a Mad Max world where people are inventing ways to siphon electricity instead of gas.

• Locked thread