Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I drove a Volt this week and was pretty impressed with it. Very smooth and rides very well, even when the gasoline engine is running. We did mostly highway driving so I can't comment on much else like handling, etc. The interior and nav systems aren't too bad either, but we had trouble getting the voice commands to be understood properly. It's incredibly quiet and has a funny feature since it's so quiet...Under 40mph if you flash the headlights the horn pulses which is intended to alert pedestrians I guess. Overall I really liked it and would consider owning one as it seems like a great car first and a pretty decent EV that doesn't have the range problem that plagues others.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hillridge posted:

This thread is looking pretty dead right now, but I figured I'd post anyway.

I am very interested in making my next car a full electric (or electric drive with on board gas generator like the volt). I'm trying very hard to squash the part of my brain that says the Tesla Model S is too much money, while at the same time checking my finances to see if it's at all feasible to afford. I wish there was more of a middle ground, i.e. Tesla power and range, but $40k cheaper with less (admittedly very cool) bells and whistles. The Model X also looks cool, but that's not available for at least another 15 months (compared to if I ordered an S today I wouldn't have it until September).

Does anything else come close for power and range with less of a wallet punch? Is it really that amazing of a car that it's worth a car payment a little over half what I pay on my mortgage?

I know this is probably a strange suggestion, but have you looked into the Spark EV? 327 ft-lbs, but the range isn't near as good. Pretty cheap, though.

http://www.chevrolet.com/spark-ev-electric-vehicle.html

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looking on the web site it says California and Oregon only for the Spark. :(

Definitely drive the Volt though if you haven't. I think it's a really nice car, though not the fastest thing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Cadillac ELR has a nice little paddles on the steering wheel for added regen. It's in a nice spot that allows you to not even have to take your hands off the wheel. You can pretty much use only regen instead of the brakes, too.

• Locked thread