Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I work only a few blocks from a Tesla shop that used to be the local Tesla dealership. This is a neighborhood in Seattle with a lot of software companies including Amazon, so there are a LOT of nerdy types.

This morning I was walking to work and saw this:

Clever. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

CharlesM posted:

I haven't read much positive about the Fiskers besides their styling.
I don't even like the styling, the front grille looks like the moustache on a cartoon villain.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

grover posted:

They selected those cars because they're otherwise comparable in size and class, though one is conventional and the other electric. This is a fair comparison, because THAT is the sort of information people went to see; they want to see how much that fancy new power plant actually costs.

Which is precisely why nobody does this comparison with the Tesla Model S, because it is comparable in every way to other ~$70-110k sedans

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Suqit posted:

I've done a bunch of research and have finally decided to buy a Ford Fusion Energi, the plug in hybrid version of the Fusion.

I wanted to buy a Model S really badly but just couldn't justify it. Man they are gorgeous but they are pricey. Plus my wife's current car is a Saturn and I am sure that me buying a Tesla would cause the company to go under so you are all welcome for not getting one.
I work one block from the Seattle Tesla dealership/mechanic shop and goddamn are you making the wrong choice. The Model S is so drat pretty. Such a beautiful sedan.

I will admit that the Fusion is a beautiful car in its own right. A buddy of mine just got a Fusion Hybrid in pale blue and it looks gorgeous.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Seeing as there are tons of people who daily drive Leafs around here in Seattle, I think it depends on your city. It's pretty rare for a Seattle commute to be >20mi each way. That might stretch the range on a Leaf if you have that maximum commute, but most of the people I know live ~5mi from where they work.

Obviously, a Tesla Model S (or even a roadster!) isn't an issue at all under those cases. (I also work 2 blocks from a Tesla garage/dealership, so that increases the numbers of those and other EVs that I see weekly)

If you need to drive 200+ miles regularly, then yes, a current-generation EV is not for you. But for people who drive under 50mi a day like most of the people I know around here, plugging it in each night instead of pumping gas once every week or two is pretty awesome.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So basically their demographic is PC gamers (like me).

Sweet!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The only downside is that traditional dealers will get bypassed. I posted something about this happening in our state on facebook last month, and this guy that I grew up with (who is super libertarian) starting spouting off about how Tesla is trying to "break the law" by selling direct to the consumer. The dude's dad owns a dealership and he couldn't understand that if you come up with a better business model, that's a good thing, and that the dealers basically just legislated themselves a spot in the marketplace to begin with.

Good riddance, I say.
Yep, sounds like a Texas Libertarian. Free market until the free market means they might lose some of the market share.

These laws make some sense but not in the way they are being used. There's no reason Tesla shouldn't be allowed to sell their cars, especially since they're acting as a "store" and not a "dealership" (you don't haggle with Tesla, you either buy the thing or you don't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Took me a few months to realize that the pink mustache thing is actually a calling card for Uber and not just some random thing dumbasses were doing because it literally makes me fly into a rage. Goddamn you look like a loving idiot driving a car with one of those.
It's not Uber, it's Lyft, but similar idea.

I wonder how many cars have overheated from that stupid pink mustache preventing enough airflow into the engine?

• Locked thread