Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Mitsubishi built an electric AWD Evo (an EVo?) back in 2005. The driver reviews at the time were favourable, but I don't think they ever mooted a price for it if it were to make production.

We're seeing a good number of hybrids using an internal-combustion FWD powertrain with an electric RWD transaxle at the other end, so if the same manufacturer makes a FWD EV, and are paying attention to their parts commonality, it shouldn't be ridiculously hard to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't forget, European cities have things like the G-Wiz running around as well as Smarts, so the trigger point for "Most pathetic sight ever seen on four wheels" is pushed back somewhat.

I will say that the Smart is nice and roomy for its size thanks to only having the two seats. If you don't need any rear seats at all, it's a design element that makes sense over an Aygo or similar.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Batteries as bodwork, anyone?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17014808

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Green sportscar needs food, badly.

Green sportscar is about to die.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Seriously though, there are a couple of electric vans available in the uk & for a business running a set delivery route with a known distance, the ability to charge up overnight & the tax breaks based on CO2 emissions make them at least break even, just with a larger initial purchase price.
TNT use them around my area.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

oxbrain posted:

I'm waiting for the first series hybrid, traction motor truck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ijustam posted:

I'm going to reiterate my frustration that a Ford Focus EV costs $40,000.

Who in the world would pay $40,000 for a Ford Focus ?
I stopped being interested in a Corsa VXR when it turned out that's how much one of those would cost. The Focus ST is about the same.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ola posted:

I really dislike unnecessary complexity like this. If you crash, flip over and catch fire - how will someone outside trying to save you get in? I can understand the need to eliminate parasitic drag, but surely there are simpler and more elegant solutions. But I guess the way to wow the masses is to load it up with gizmos that go :wom: and Star Trek displays.

The Fiat Barchetta, amongst several, managed the same trick for probably less than 1% of the cost: You push the leading end of the handle with your thumb, and the main section pops out for your hand. It's just a pivot and a light spring.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's not wireless, but quite a few car parks here have charging points.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
On the cost front, Renault's Twizy manages to solve that problem - <£7k for the car, £40 a month "battery hire" (easily offset by fuel saving)... And then doesn't have proper doors or a heater. God. Damnit. The ZOE should solve those issues, and at £13k/£70 it's not out the way.

While I'm not entirely convinced, I think the "Purchase car outright save for battery, which is effectively rented" model might be the best way to get over the sticker shock of EVs while still delivering savings in running costs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

roomforthetuna posted:

But you know it won't (at least not the way costs are now) because the batteries for a Leaf, for example, cost $15000 and in a hot climate will almost certainly suck balls after about 5 years. So that'll come to about $250 a month even before the electricity costs come in.

(They claim they'll still have 70% capacity after 10 years, but I'll believe that when I see it on a car that hasn't been kept in an air conditioned room for its whole life. I've never owned a laptop battery that's had more than 30% capacity after 5 years, is this tech so different?)
The Renault deal is restricted by mileage and is on a set term - for instance, the Twizy on a £45/month plan is three years with a 4,500 annual limit (so twelve pence per mile, with the "fuel" cost bringing that up a penny or two). That's not unreasonable for an urban runaround, and if they put full doors and a heater on the drat thing I'd seriously consider one. Looking at the situation logically, it'd cover 90-95% of my driving and you'd need an urban mpg of 45+ to match the cost using a regular car - achievable, admittedly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, it's April 1st. No, it's not a joke (unfortunately, it is only a prototype):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkCcWG4K93g

Only a fifty mile range, but it's only 5% heavier than standard, and that same battery life is supposedly good for 8hrs of playing in the mud. I really want the electric powertrain in a traditional-looking Series II now. :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Could you come to an arrangement with them for a car not in your preferred colour, at sufficient discount to cover a vinyl wrap? They get to sell a car they have in stock, you get a car immediately in any colour you want, and the paint underneath will be kept completely untouched come resale.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Heat pumps. It's using a small amount of energy to move heat to where you want it, as opposed to having to use a lot of energy to heat something directly. Think air conditioning "backwards".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It'd be ironic if they hadn't checked on copyright for that image before putting it up.

Also, http://xkcd.com/286/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Madurai posted:

Prescient! My passenger door handle no longer opens the door from the outside. Harry Tuttle came and took it back to the Burlingame service center.
They probably went back to metric without telling anyone.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Having managed to do a pretty good job of mullering the Clio's piston rings, I decided to change my Renault with a broken engine for a Renault without an engine for me to break. Picked this up yesterday:

Renault Zoe, in Dynamique Intens trim, metallic white.

I was going to hold off on buying one, but a pretty good deal came up a short distance away (I asked my local dealer to match it, and they couldn't get within £3k of what I'd been quoted), so I took the plunge.

I'm pretty busy for the next couple of days, but when I get a chance I'll post more photos and details, as well as my developing thoughts on the car (I've only driven it about 40 miles so far).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

I have a stripper-model car without any power options whatsoever (except cruise control, that's nice to have) and literally no one who I carry as a passenger locks their door behind them. Ten years ago everyone knew to do that, now people are initially confused at what I'm asking them to do. :argh:
I've got used to keyless entry so quickly, I drove my friend's Avensis to Nando's a few days back, and managed to get most of the way across the car park before realising I hadn't locked it. :ohdear:

Seeing as I'm posting in this thread: I've had my Zoe nearly two months now, and I never did get around to making a proper post about it. Is anyone interested? Let me know if you have specific stuff you want me to put up about it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, this is all I have for now, but I'll sort out giving it a wash and getting some more pictures tomorrow:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DJ Commie posted:

I bought a 1974 Fiat X1/9 that someone jammed in old forklift parts to convert it to electric power, should I post about it here?
"You know what an Italian car needs? More electrics!"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
More to the point, most electric cars are designed to allow fast battery swaps anyway. So in labour terms it really is more like a simple bolt-on modification than an engine swap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hillridge posted:

I wonder if AAA will soon start offering a service where they show up with a big generator and a J1772.
http://www.charging-solutions.com/products/ev-rescue.aspx

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ExecuDork posted:

Do Norwegian engineers get a truckload of dynamite the day they graduate? Or do you all just HATE mountains? It seems like Norwegians are the most tunnel-happy people in the world.

Don't get me wrong: for taking to Mr. Nobel's invention with such enthusiasm, I salute you!
Good luck getting from one part of Norway to another without a boat, plane, or way to make holes in bits of Norway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Get rid of the bus lanes, no more worries over favouring electric car owners.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I got my annual summary of electricity usage, and it seems that a year of having an EV has upped my kwh total over the previous year by a whole 3%...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ola posted:

Don't mean to pry, but would you mind quantifying that a bit more? How many miles and kWh pr year?
No problem, I wouldn't say it if I wasn't happy to talk about it. 5500 miles, looks like the difference is 65kWh. Now, obviously I've put more than that in the car, but it's not like I've been conciously doing any energy saving or changes in lifestyle in that period, so I don't know what else to say.

I have made use of free-to-use chargers at parking spots and services quite a bit.

I guess I just wanted to say that without really attempting to "optimise" anything, owning an electric car made little dent in my average home power usage. Numbers should be accurate, as they had a meter reading off me a little over a week ago.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ola posted:

I think a lot of people have the same experience given how much free charging is available. I expect that to change towards pay to charge in the future, but not this year or next. But about the consumption, 65 kWh is 3% of 2166 kWh. Is that the annual number you got? It seems low, perhaps the difference is in utilities. I live in a small loft apartment, I don't need to heat that much in winter and I don't use A/C in summer at all - however I do cook and heat water electric, perhaps you use gas. My annual consumption is 6000-something kWh.
Gas combi boiler and gas hob for cooking, no AC (not really a thing in the UK). Total usage 2500kWh.

I think I am a relatively "light" user model, though. Single guy, no TV, tend to only use one room at a time, things like that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

Heh, I used 1898 kWh in just the month of August in 2013 (the last August I did not have solar to offset this).
Jesus Christ.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Michael Scott posted:

That's pretty textbook piss poor form letter customer service. That rep should be fired. I guess they had to get through a lot of inquiries that day and just skimmed over yours and hit the paste button?
Perhaps they mistook the question as one of whether always fast-charging would be abusing the battery?

Michael Scott posted:

What does this even mean?
They're saying that a lot of people only use supercharger stations, never charging at home etc.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mange Mite posted:

edit: for real, though, is there a way to turn the radio off? Like not on mute but actually off?
A lot of modern infotainment systems do this. It's a minor irritation, but you get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I can schedule charging on the Zoe if I want to.

• Locked thread