Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Plug-in electric cars are probably going to take off more in Canada once everyone realizes that you can scam free gas from wherever you park by hooking up into the block heater outlet.

Most places don't switch them off in the summer, and I've seen people run extension cords from the outlet, pinch it in their window and then put a small space heater or fan on the floor of the car so it's toasty/cool when you get back to the car. Thanks, block-shattering temperatures.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The gasoline version of the Fortwo also recommends 91 octane (or at least it did in '08), which I can guarantee you isn't helping the perception of performance because I suspect most people just jam 87 in there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'll wait until they add the sound from the Jetsons' cars. Some of the Lexus hybrids already make a little beedle-beedle sound as you're stopping so they just need to figure that out and play it over the exterior speaker all the time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BonzoESC posted:

I'm trying to find this on youtube and all I'm coming up with is LF-A sounds.
It's a very faint sound and I think it probably comes from the transmission during the changeover from gas to electric when stopping. It's pretty audible on my dad's HS250h, but it sounds a lot like a lower-pitched Jetsons car. Bweep-weep weep weep.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 23, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Jared592 posted:

That's pretty cool, sounds like an electric guitar at the end of a song with the strings un-muted just before it starts feeding back.
It's a cool car, but when you charge it, you need a pretty long power chord. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Plug-in electric cars are probably going to take off more in Canada once everyone realizes that you can scam free gas from wherever you park by hooking up into the block heater outlet.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/01/canadian-condo-wont-let-chevrolet-volt-owner-charge-his-car/

That didn't take long!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

movax posted:

Poor battery packs :( I hope the cars were submerged considerably under water, or otherwise subject to some huge deluge of water. If they weren't, then, well, it's a bit scary, anywhere where water can cause a short should be sealed/protected/etc.
Based on the pictures it looks like they were near the dock so they were probably fully submerged in salt water for a long period of time.

I'm not really surprised, though the Karma does have kind of a habit of catching on fire when it's dry, too:

http://www.insideline.com/fisker/karma/uncertainty-surrounds-fisker-karma-fire-automaker-contends.html
http://www.insideline.com/fisker/karma/2012/second-2012-fisker-karma-fire-under-investigation.html

Congrats on the mod position.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

duz posted:

My Leaf had a popup on the dash that it was cold outside yesterday. I'll have to take a picture next time, it had a snowflake and everything.
I saw this on some luxury car a few years ago (I want to say BMW). Thanks car, I figured it out when I had to scrape ice off you for four minutes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Cold really does terrible things to batteries, I'm impressed there are as many hybrid and electric-car owners in Canada as there are. Do any of the currently-available or planned-for-soon EVs have something like a block heater (but for the battery) as an option? Two cords to plug in?
Apparently one of the earlier Prius coolant reservoirs serves as an insulated hot-coolant reservoir which keeps the coolant warm for the next startup. I think the batteries are liquid cooled so that might help a bit.

Doesn't seem to have extended to my dad's HS250h that just basically goes "you're on your own, here's gas motor, bitch" as soon as it drops below -10.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 15, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's better than that other guy got where the car just refused to let go of its charger and ended up stranding the writer.

http://jalopnik.com/5965858/this-is-what-happens-when-your-tesla-model-s-stops-working

It is pretty cool they will send Harry Tuttle to your house to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

If he was someone I only talked to once in a rare while I'd think about that, but I worked for him for a few years and we've got a good enough relationship that he knows me better than that :)

So tell him that's what you told him. Then go buy your car after he's done.

You know he wants to. You're just giving him the excuse. Maybe there's even some Fed subsidy dollars he can get in exchange for the work.

• Locked thread