Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would like to know how I can get 440V service installed in my garage so I can charge this thing up in 30 minutes. Do I need three phase service or something exotic? Three phase is super expensive per month and cost prohibitive. How are these public charging stations connected?

Edit: I looks like three phase power to my house ain't going to happen. Duke energy told me no way. Time to get my landlord at work to install one for me in my personal parking spot.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would not worry about running out of things that can be taxed. Forum posts should be taxed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

warcake posted:

There is more and more hybrid buses and refuse collection trucks popping up where i am (near London). Shame i'm not allowed to work on them, turns out you need to be an actual qualified electrician.

Dead maintenance workers are bad press.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

Finally, the aftermarket is stepping up to correct a major emissions-related design flaw with the Tesla Roadster.

http://www.ebay.com/motors/carsandtrucks/Tesla/Roadster/2010/Catalytic-Converters

Nothing on ebay is even remotly ever close to fraud. I am going to buy a set.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So what home chargers are people using I see 16 amp, 30 amp and some 50 amp ones. Why can't i just plug the car into a dryer outlet? What is inside these expensive charging stations? Seems like a scam that is keeping me from buying a leaf.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I decided to not be lazy and have found out that the scam gizmo does a couple of things. 1. It disables the traction motor of the car so you can't drive off while plugged in. 2. Some of the wires tell a relay in the charger to close to supply current, i.e. your kid can't put their tongue on the end of the wire and die. 3. They tell you the car is charging and can display the charge percentage. It looks like you can get a 30 amp gizmo for 900 bucks or less. I just need to decide to bury conduit from the house or get a separate meter installed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I test drove a leaf overnight and drove it like a regular car, i.e. I didn't charge it, and I heated the car up about 6 times because it is cold out. I got slightly under 40 miles out of a charge at city speeds. I could see how a review in those circumstances could happen without being a lie. I am going with a prius plug in instead even though the range is tiny.

I can't afford a better electric then the leaf, drat kids.

Edit: I should note it was a used 2011 rental car with 5000 miles so its battery was probably abused and it was 10 degrees outside. Atypical operating situation, much like the Tesla review.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 12, 2013

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So what is a used Think City worth? It looks like $6,000 to me but they are asking more then double that. By the way I got a separate panel installed in my garage for $1,500 that is connected straight to the grid. The utility ran the wires for free in order to rent me more charged electrons. 30% of that cost will be a tax credit for me. Now I just need a used charging station, (and a car).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Tesla S, yeah you have to wait for it to recharge, deal with it! They need this slogan.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My solution of choice for long range trips is a Challanger R/T. I am carbon positive. I told my toyota guy I was cross shopping that and a prius plug in.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What are people paying for Volts? They have 0% for 72 months and $3,000 rebate on the 2013s. I swore not to buy a chevy ever again that was built after 1957, but these are as cheap as a plug in prius with close to 4 times the electric range. Maybe I should lease it so I can just give it back before parts start falling off.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the conclusion is electric cars take more work to drive then a jerky NY times reporter can put into them.

My plug in prius scam has ground to a grinding halt. No one will sell me one for less then $28,500. Moving on to a used leaf unless chevy has a super sale on a lease.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So with the number of EVs in VA this tax should raise about $200,000 a year, or about a 1/4 mile of road. Go government! EV drag strip.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Leasing a Leaf SL today. Screwing Nissan to the max. So cheap. These drive themselves right?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Keeping a Leaf at full charge in hot temperatures is death to the battery. All the turned in leaf rental cars from hot states are in terrible shape. If you use the timer right or can live with 80% charge you can keep the battery healthy a longer time. That said a 2012 SL for 19K after federal tax credit is a smoking cheap EV. It even has the useless QC port and grocery totes. I regret nothing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I leased but if I bought this was the deal we reached:
MSRP 38,000 ish
Negotiated sales price, 35,000
Dealer incentive cash (8,500)
Tax Credit (7,500) You have to pay this up front and it reduces your income tax liability.
Price after credit $19,000. Sales tax not included.

I leased for 36 months because I was afraid of the battery life, but I really considered buying. Lease is going to cost me $10,126 for 3 years of ownership including the disposition fee. (This includes $1440 worth of sales tax screw you Indiana) Pretty expensive but no gas costs. My state has no incentives for EVs not built in Indiana. I was going to buy a dodge challenger but the gas cost was going to make me cry. You going from a Fit though isn't going to see much cost savings. People on the myleaf forums though are getting zero down leases for $150 a month in tax credit states.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This is a 12K per year lease, but the 15K lease is not much more. I never put 12K a year on any car I own, let alone one with limited range. You have to take the battery in once a year for a check, but it is a covered maintenance item, and derogation is also covered under warranty for the term of the lease (and longer not that I care). Lease includes gap coverage so you don't get stuck even though the car is underwater between lease payoff and fair market value the entire term of the lease. I am nerdy so I love the car but I could see how you could hate it. I would say a 20 mile each way or less commute this works for. I wouldn't do more then that but other people do. I do not have chargers at work. I also have several other cars available for non office days. This as a solo car is impossible.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would do the 2013 SV for the upgraded charger and carwings. Remote heating is awesome and adds range if it is pluged in when you do it. If you leave the same time every day though it doesn't matter as you can set a timer. You also get navigation which is terrible but does show public charging stations. (Sometimes heh) If you are skirting range though I don't know. Are you assuming charging at work? Even just a regular plug with fill you up in 8 hours unless you drain it dry.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Calculus,

You need a charger at work. You need that first. Your commute won't work without one. That said the 2013 is supposed to squeeze more range from the AC then the 2012 does. There is a ratty 110V charger on ebay for 300 bucks that you could just leave there if you can find a plug in the parking lot. Have you thought about tapping in to a light pole? Some are live and the light at the top switches the bulb on.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I saw a sweet Tesla S charging up at the grocery store in Indiana. Didn't expect that. I wanted to brag to the owner about being able to quick charge but I had shopped and finished charging before they came back. People stop and look at the Tesla but ignore my electic versa. :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Tyro posted:

Tesla has just revised their guidance to a profitable Q1.

On a cash basis. That is not real profit. That is saying, hey if we ignore depreciation and amortization on all we spent on this factory and designing the car we made money!

You can't order a new 40. Only people already on order can get a gimped 60. Why they don't just give them a 60 is dumb. They are in effect giving them a 60 anyway cost wise.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I really hated the volt and I like GM. I think a regular Prius is better if a leaf won't work.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You see there are these guys called dealers. These dealers have greased the local state reps and senators for decades. This has resulted in laws that entrench the dealers monopolies and also leave them exempt from financing disclosures and other consumer protections. These laws also prevent johnny come late-lies from trying to horn in on the sweet franchises without greasing some politicos. Tesla needs to pay its welcome to Texas taxes. I also don't think Texas likes electric cars being oil country.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Progressive JPEG posted:

Yeah, they could even be in straightforward places like:
- At the grocery store/restaurant/movies, free with any purchase.
- Integrated into parking meters, price includes charging.

Note that I think this works best in a scenario where the car's charging while it's parked and the owner's off doing other things. The standalone gas station model doesn't really work since the charging takes so long. But on the other hand, standalone stations aren't even necessary since electric chargers are small and simple to set up and maintain, at least compared to a gas pump. So why not focus on getting chargers in all the places where people are parked anyway?

You never need to charge when you are close to home as you will charge when you are sleeping. The only time you need public charging is when you are going farther away from home. I can quick charge my leaf in 20 minutes and get 60 more highway miles out of it if there is an available QC where I need it. Chargers need to be on interstates and destinations like theme parks, stadiums and museums where you would drive 100 miles to get to them. Hotels would be nice also. Stores are kinda pointless unless it is an IKEA or mega mall where you might drive far since there are so few of them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

If you live out of gas stations on a road trip you're throwing money away. I hit at least one grocery store every day when I'm on the road.

So you buy gas in gallon jugs and pour them in? Do you have a veggie burner? This is about "fueling the car" not your goon gut.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The one benefit of the L2 is the charging timer is a lot more accurate. At least with a 2012. I don't know if the 2013 is any better with its L1 estimates. If you get the upgraded charger then it is a no brainier to get a L2 installed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

Does it ever get old smoking just about everything from the lights in near-complete silence?

Even a leaf can do this in normal driving condition, i.e. not trying to go to jail. I can't imagine how much faster a non econo electric is. Best part is how silent it is like you aren't even trying. Embarrassing a manual transmission 3 series is the best by making them use the shoulder in a lane that ends. They never slow down or admit defeat to a leaf. Fixed gears are the best gears.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Coredump posted:

What would you say to all the naysayers that say electric vehicles don't make sense, aren't ready yet, too little range, etc?

I tell them they are right because the only car argument worth pursuing is Mustang or Camaro.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
All electric cars need is a nice war in the Middle East to drive gas prices above $10 a gallon. More people asked me about the leaf in the last week when gas went above $4 then ever before. (Midwest refinery shutdown hell)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Volt, all the inconvenience of an electric and gas automobile. Would be an awesome all electric or Prius type hybrid but instead it is a weird electric with a built in generator. GM you got it wrong change it!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I had my utility install separate 200 amp service to my garage. My 2012 leaf only draws 20 amps though. I am ready for a fleet of 4 EVs though.

The leaf puts out a little, but a Volt will heat your garage up good as it cools the battery.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
70 miles is not a problem. Don't use cruise control and don't drive 70 mph. Nissan will tow you if you run out anyway. Make sure you know how to get it to charge to 100%.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Almost every retail parking lot will have phase III power. Big box retail and supermarkets all need it. The lines are not run to all residential areas, however phase 1 quick chargers can be built there just is no market. Some of the leaf nerds are adding extra chargers so they can plug in two level 2 EVSEs at the same time and charge similar to a QC. A Nissan QC costs 15k for an outdoor unit plus installation. There is a 30% tax credit for US tax payers. An indoor unit is 10K. Most Blink and Eaton QC units are in the 40k cost range which is holding back adoption. When the cheaper units start being produced you will see more. Free charging needs to go away as people use the QC just to save on electric when they don't even need it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So the Tesla is more popular than the 10 least popular cars?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My favorite thing about the leaf is the fixed gear.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sole Survivor posted:

I'm interested in owning a Volt, but I'm not sure how well it would work if I don't think I could charge it regularly. How big of a deal would that be?

For reference, my average commute is about ~35 miles daily.

Buy a corolla if you want to be boring or a mustang v6 to pep it up and complain about build quality. A 2014 corvette would be ideal and close to a volt in pricing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They are built in Smyrna now. Run on moonshine.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Make sure you are buying from them, there are a lot of "stolen" clipper creeks around. Someone ran a massive credit card fraud on their Canadian distributor.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you have two outlets in your garage on different legs of the breaker box you have 220 in your garage. I would just have an electrician put in a 220 outlet for $200. You would still need a evse or get your 110 one upgraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ijustam posted:

I'm interested in a Leaf but the 70 mile range terrifies me. I'd feel so restricted. My commute is 10 miles one way so that isn't a problem, but going to the other side of the city (Indianapolis) would basically be impossible. For longer trips do you just rent a car and call it a day or is the Leaf really designed to be a second car?

For longer trips I use one of my other cars. Who in AI has less then 4 cars? Are you trolling?

• Locked thread