Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So as to not let this thread die: it looks like the Tesla Model S's are being delivered. The reviews I've been able to find have been pretty overwhelmingly positive.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/11/2012-tesla-model-s-first-drive-review-video/

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1208_2012_tesla_model_s_test_and_range_verification/viewall.html?ti=v2

I can't find the link at the moment but someone (Motor Trend?) did a drag strip Tesla Model S vs. M5 a week or two ago, and they came in neck and neck. A few reviewers have said the battery weight is low enough that the car corners well for its weight also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Interesting. I can't quite tell from the photo, it almost looks like there's a scuff above the badge, maybe it was hit lightly? Was there a scuff or is that some sort of artifact?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Madurai posted:

Pulled the pin on the Model S today. Turned in my configuration request in person at the Santana Row store in San Jose. Estimated time to completion, about a month. Deposit now non-refundable.

I strongly recommend the factory pickup, the tours are really cool.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

So what home chargers are people using I see 16 amp, 30 amp and some 50 amp ones. Why can't i just plug the car into a dryer outlet? What is inside these expensive charging stations? Seems like a scam that is keeping me from buying a leaf.

Dunno about the other cars but you can plug Teslas into NEMA outlets (dryer, welder, etc). I am sure someone makes a NEMA to J1772 adapter. If not that's a business opportunity...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

duz posted:

it charges just fine at 5 mph on a 120v outlet.

Ditto the Model S. (But a NEMA outlet is a way better option and any electrician can install one)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I see you got the P85 badging! Looks sharp. Glad to hear you are enjoying driving it, I think they are a blast.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Tesla has just revised their guidance to a profitable Q1. Also the 40kwh battery is now an awesome deal, they announced the demand was so low that they won't be building 40kwh battery packs. Instead, the 40 cars will get a 60 pack and have the state of charge software limited and upgradable in the future. If I were buying one that would now be my top choice.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Tesla had their battery swap demonstration last night. Automated, takes about 90 seconds.

https://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Clipper Creek makes good stuff.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Night Danger Moose posted:

My boyfriend has fallen head over heels in love with the Tesla Model S, and will likely be ordering his 85kWh next week after a second test drive this weekend just to confirm that he really really wants it. Are there any goons that have one that can offer any advice on owning/maintaining one, what we should/shouldn't be doing with it, or anything of the sort? He'll be upgrading from a 2013 Civic EX so it's quite the step up in every way.

Basically what eeenmachine said. The 21" wheels especially are expensive. They're great cars. Charge it frequently. What kind of charging setup is he going to use? Most owners I know are totally OK with a 14-50 wall outlet, he probably doesn't need a HPWC unless he drives a lot. Though they are pretty cool.

And yeah, especially if you live in an area where there are fewer people with the cars, you will be constantly talking about it in parking lots!

Be nice to the guys at the service centers, they work really hard. If you ever need a loaner car, consider asking if they have a Roadster available if he wants to try driving one. They are really fun in a totally different way, but way less practical.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

I've been living off 14-50 garage outlets for years. Are you a fellow Roadster owner as well Tyro?

Nope but I have driven a lot of Tesla cars :)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Haha yeah the visors are poo poo. Glad you are liking it. Hope I get to drive a D someday soon, I love the rest of the lineup..

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Just keep in mind the tax credit is something you get back when you file your income taxes, it's not taken off the purchase price.

I haven't driven the Volt but that sounds like an awesome deal.

I did go drive a 85D model S this week, which was really fun. Looking forward to driving the P90D with Ludicrous mode whenever my local shop gets one in...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Jealous you got to ride in the Flux Capacitor, looks like fun! The P90D is such a hoot to drive though I imagine the FC is more like a roadster in that it would feel much more low tech.

So the electric motorcycle thread is archived. Anyone who hangs out in this thread ridden a Zero? Looking at the 2016 models, really like the new FXS on paper as a commuter and tool-around-town bike, I may go test ride one whenever I can find some time. For fun I went and got an insurance quote. I was quoted a reasonable $270/year for a 2016 FX with lots of coverage. Changing the bike to a SR, no other changes at all, increased the quote to over $2K a year. WTF. I sold my last bike a few years ago so not sure how the insurance gap is being treated but I was not expecting that big of a difference.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yep that is exactly the use I was picturing for it. The slow charging doesn't bother me too much, but yeah if I was able to throw one option on it would have to be the j1772 adapter with faster charging (not even an option on the FX and DS series I believe?)

My bigger concerns are that I travel a lot for work and so it would be sitting fairly regularly, and effects on the battery from temperature fluctuations due to parking outside for extended time periods.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yep I know some people who have done that.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
There was an electric motorcycle thread that also included ebike chat but it closed a while ago. I've been toying around with the idea of building an ebike just for fun, got any details on yours?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

io_burn posted:

What's the process for doing this anyway? Do you submit the purchase to the IRS immediately, or does it get rolled into your taxes the following year?

It is an income tax credit applied when you file. So you can only claim the full amount if you owed at least $7500 in federal income taxes (which was not a problem for most Model S and X buyers, but might be for some Model 3 buyers).

Tesla still does not do a good job of advertising that fact up front, which is disappointing.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Not a refundable credit, which means if you don't, or can't use the whole thing, the IRS is not going to write you a check.

Yep. And I think Tesla still doesn't do a good job of communicating that to their customers. It was more excusable/understandable in the early Model S days, not so much now.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

io_burn posted:

What I'm not super clear on is how the 200,000 car limit works. It seems like you'd want to file as soon as possible to be under that, so you'd still need to wait for the begin of the 2017 tax filing period (provided they ship next year) and hope you submit your taxes and they're processed before everyone else?

Borkencode did a good job explaining it earlier on this page:

quote:

The $7500 tax credit applies to the first 200,000 cars Tesla sells in the US, international sales don't count. The same credit will continue for the rest of that quarter, as well as the following quarter. So if Tesla sells #200K on Jan 1st 2018, every car sold in the US for 6 more months will get the credit. Then the credit is cut in half for 6 months. Then cut in half again for another 6 months.

The limit is not based on when you file taxes but when the car is actually sold / delivered (Tesla counts those in funky ways some times). So there will be a clear cutoff window and then a phase down window, and based on when you take delivery, the amount of the tax credit you can claim is pretty straightforward.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Arkane posted:

Can the tax credit be carried forward for a year if you don't use all of it?

Nope.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

What the hell is the "dual charger" option on the Model S? Like if you use two plugs you can charge faster?

I'm trying to figure it out but the information on it is confusing.

e: Also I somehow missed when I filed my taxes that I could get a tax credit for installing my home charging station :doh: Going to send in an amendment for that. In case anyone missed it too, see: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

I was able to use my tax software to make and print out an amended return pretty quickly.

It still uses one plug. The dual charger refers to the onboard charging unit. Here is a picture of one.

It charges twice as fast (if supplied with an appropriate power source) as a car with only one charger.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Oh man. I just took a Model X for a spin in Ludicrous mode. I think it's a combination of the size of the thing and the huge panoramic windshield, but to me it feels
faster than the S (though to be fair I've only driven P85D/P90, not Ludicrous). Autopilot was great, it's really come a long way from the adaptive cruise control. I'll be excited to see where it goes in the future as development continues.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I would probably be buying one of those or a FX for my commute if I had a place to store and charge it. Having to rely on street parking sucks.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That looks really sharp. I've seen a lot of Teslas and that's one of my favorites.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

wolrah posted:

Didn't they also do the same thing for the S and X launches? The first production models were drat near loaded, weren't they?

Yep.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

Anyone know about the original roadster? I am looking to buy myself a fun toy since the model 3 has been so delayed. I am over 6'8" in height, am I hosed for fitting?

Yeah basically. I'm 6'2" and I can't drive one for more than 20 minutes or so without getting really uncomfortable. Unless you live somewhere that you can basically keep the roof off all the time.

That's really the main reason I didn't buy one years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KakerMix posted:

A wire transfer? That's hosed up right?

Nah Tesla has always accepted wire transfers for car payments, and a decent number of customers use them to pay. It's more the amount that's WTF-worthy.

• Locked thread