Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backov
Mar 28, 2010
This is pretty interesting:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=new-energy-dense-battery-could-enable-long-distance-electric-cars

They are claiming 400 watt hours per kilogram, which sounds impressive.

EVs might get pretty exciting pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Mathhole posted:

I saw this news and shot out my resume within 10 minutes. :justpost:

Tesla :allears:

I will say that I think that the predicition of 10 years for legal and in place, 20 years for ubiquity and 30 years for mandatory is almost certainly right for autonomous cars. And about loving time, 90% of drivers are loving idiots and shouldn't be doing it.

Don't read the comments. :)

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

The Locator posted:

I love driving, and I never want to lose the ability to go to the track (I have a dedicated track car in the garage), but I would dearly love to be able to do my hour+ commute every day (each way) while reading a book or napping. Normal work-day commutes suck, and have exactly zero driving enjoyment in them, no matter how much you love driving.

Moving manual cars to the track and other things of that type is almost certainly how it will happen, I'd bet. It's unlikely to ever be a blanket ban (in the US anyway.)

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Is IC ever really going to go away as a viable long-distance option? I couldnt see a battery-powered electric ever winning at lemans unless you allowed battery pack swaps.

Yes, lots of battery tech just over the horizon that charges very fast with very large capacity (graphene, algae based batteries to name two.)

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
If I had to guess, I'd say Elon is expecting a charging standard to emerge and for the Superchargers to be the base of the new network. Makes sense really. It would suck to have to go to a Ford gas station, for instance.

There's probably plans to convert the Superchargers to charge money in the wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

watwat posted:

Ah yes. Thanks for going dangerously slow on the highway and putting everyone at risk because you need to save a couple miles on your charge.

AI: The speed limit is dangerously slow.

• Locked thread