Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcake
Apr 10, 2010
There is more and more hybrid buses and refuse collection trucks popping up where i am (near London). Shame i'm not allowed to work on them, turns out you need to be an actual qualified electrician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

Dead maintenance workers are bad press.

I did get the opportunity to drive a hybrid double deck bus, thing is loving silent and when you need the power the diesel engine will cut in for extra.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Volvo and several other commercial truck (cargo, not pickup) manufacturers make hybrids already. Apparently they're great for heavy loads because they remove the need for the transmission to shift a dozen times in the first 100 meters of travel from a standstill, so you can have a much simpler (cheaper) transmission without all the super low range gears.

I am a volvo truck hybrid trained technician, and for volvo at least, the transmission is the same 12 speed auto they put it everything else. All of volvos hybrid trucks and buses are parallel hybrid and only use electric power to pull away with diesel engine kicking in after you change out of first gear. The range on battery power alone is measured in hundreds of metres and not miles, but they cut the engine from 8litre 6 cylinder to 5 litre 4 cylinder (regular ole' turbo diesels)

Hybrid commercial trucks were a bit of a flop because it adds a hell of a lot of weight (2 extra seperate cooling systems, electric air conditioning pump, electric air compressor etc) for minimal fuel gains for something that spends most of the time at full speed not using the electric motor. For a bus hybrid makes absolute sense with all the stopping and starting. There are a poo poo ton of them in london and the surrounding areas.

• Locked thread