Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

On my trip to Pennsylvania last week I saw a Tesla S and a Fisker Karma. Surprising really since the only other high end card I saw the whole trip was a Maserati GranTurismo. I love the looks of the Tesla but the Fisker looks someone stepped on a BMW then hit it with the ugly stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

illectro posted:

Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.
* blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.
* blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.
* blahblahblahblah, blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.
Blahblahblahblahblah.....
* blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah, blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.

Blahblahblahblahblahblah, blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.

Blahblah I could afford a Model S blahblahblahblahblahblah (blahblahblahblahblahblah) blahblahblahblahblahblah.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

In Massachusetts if you've sold your car you can put the plates from it on your new car and drive it for 7 days as long as you have a copy of the bill of sale in the car.

If you haven't sold your car, you have to take the title from the new car to the RMV in order to register it. This means when I bought my car in Rhode Island I had to convince the seller to mail me his title so I could take it to the RMV and register the car before I went down to RI on the train with the new plates to pick the car up. I can only imagine what a headache it would have been if I had to buy the car out of state. Massachusetts also doesn't issue temporary plates, or honor other states' temporary plates.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Mortanis posted:

I'd really rather upgrade to 220, but my dryer and outlet are inside the house, and I'd have to run a cable across the kitchen and through two doors, plus rig up some sort of switch on the outlet itself. I'm hoping to buy a house next year so it's just not worth the hassle right now. Rigging up 220 would make my life a dream, though.

First World Problems.

Clearly you need one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-000-Watt-DIESEL-GENERATOR-SET-COMPLETE-/271294267230?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

IOwnCalculus posted:

Lucky. My company gave 'permission' but due to the paranoia over tripping over cables / the logistics and tax credits around installing actual EV charge infrastructure and parking spots, they gave a token / impossibly small budget to complete the task.

If I could charge at work I'd probably be closing in on six months with a Leaf by now.

If I had an electric car I could charge it at work on 440 :smuggo:

However, I cannot afford an electric car that I'd actually want (Tesla).

As for that Cadillac, how could GM really believe that someone would pay Tesla prices for something with less performance and 1/10th the range?! This seems insane to me.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Ola posted:

...a bouncing ball from a driveway in heavy snow...

Children generally don't play with bouncing balls in the snow, also balls don't bounce on heavy snow.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The problem I see with these camera systems is, what happens in a downpour or when the camera gets snow on it? Do they give the camera it's own wiper then program it to ignore the brief view interruptions?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

If a vehicle is spewing toxic gas, that's bad for your health...

Thank you for these revelations prophet musk.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Jesus loving christ that center display. :stonk:

Yeah we just stuck a 21" touchscreen on the dashboard with no effort made to blend it into the design. Hey, they were cheap!

Edit: Also, yeah, it doesn't look bad aside from the blanked out front end.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

There's no way in gently caress-hell that solar panels that reportedly are a net generator can produce enough electricity live as all charging stations are in a full kick; I don't even think they could pull that much from the grid without issues. There has to be some kind of energy storage mechanism; Li-ions are almost certainly what they're using.

I agree that it's unlikely the solar panels are generating enough to run all of the chargers at once, but the grid can certainly handle it. 340v @ 60 amps is not that huge of a draw when you compare to industrial users. The only type of user I've ever heard of needing to actually arrange with the utility before they fire up is an electric arc furnace, but that's easily pulling over 200 MW.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I like the idea of outfitting a model s with a dynamic braking grid on the roof. Throw away all that regenerative braking power as heat, that'll piss the environmentalists off! Run a huge rear end fuckoff loud fan to cool it too, just like the locomotives.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

You drive a prius like coasting a bike. The goal is to never use the brakes. Your score is how many honks and middle fingers you get per mile. I really don't understand how driving a 500 hp car is more fun in bumper to bumper then my prius.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2007/01/guy-can-get-59-mpg-plain-old-accord-beat-punk

I feel like this guy would agree with you.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

For what it's worth, Cadillac's upcoming Supercruise system will use a camera to make sure your eyes are on the road (which presumably would kick in if you were to fall asleep).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Took delivery of my P90D 7 days ago. :negative:

Well you know cars are like cell phones now. Just upgrade in 2 years.

• Locked thread