Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Godholio posted:

If the Volt was 10k cheaper I'd have bought one in 2011.

Don't worry - you bought several, you just don't hold the title to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

On my trip to Pennsylvania last week I saw a Tesla S and a Fisker Karma. Surprising really since the only other high end card I saw the whole trip was a Maserati GranTurismo. I love the looks of the Tesla but the Fisker looks someone stepped on a BMW then hit it with the ugly stick.

I always thought 'They crossed the genes of a BMW with a fish.'

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

Tempting but I still need to iron things out on that range concern.

Got you covered.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

Of course, they could balance that by running a similar article every time a Honda Civic burns, for laughs.

That'd put them in line with TTaC for uselessness. Wait, would that make them more, or less tabloid?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

withak posted:

Welcome! Please accept our congratulations on your first day on the internet!

Its hard to :justpost: when it takes 3 days to charge.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
JED CEVWG sounds like a rapist

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ijustam posted:

How do you measure the electricity drawn by the charger? Do you have a meter for that outlet or something?

Much like everything EV, it's likely speculation, magic numbers, and holistics.

E: Typed over a word.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 18, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Its not that I'm saying that you are lying, it's just that it seems to be as much hyperbole as it is inconceivable- especially in a cold environment.

How the gently caress are you spending $200 in gas vs $20 in clean coal(tm) recharge technology. Because running the heater, defrosters, and keeping it floored is that much more advanced with the latest EV options? I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it.

E: I own two unicorns. Only one of them is paid for by subsidies.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 18, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Thank you, IoC, for this elucidation. I was working on ferreting out the "Well, I get a discount" bit which is often sorely missing from these statements.

Hell, power is almost free in some third world latin american countries, for an example. Why aren't they at least 80% EV by now? :v:

I did 250 miles this last week, and spent almost $25 in gas. For the high octane. 5 years ago, I would have spent about $8.50. :ohdear:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Long term, there are the batteries, there are the social ramifications of needing to charge for X hours at a time.. the fact that if the grid goes down, you are officially hosed (which is still incredibly common in remote or rural areas like, oh, say, Alaska), etc, etc, etc..

On a purely financial metric, it doesn't look bad. For real life..

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's the only metric that is going to sell EVs that are not Teslas.

I'd love to see what these numbers look like when rebates, bonuses, and other gimmicks are no longer available. Hell, the latest gov't rebate on the Volt is more than I've paid for my last 2 cars combined. It is NOT a better alternative (at this time) in my mind, since this power still has to come from somewhere - and it is not just magically appearing. This seems to be the silent 'not my problem, I bought green :smug:' bit of the debate in EVs where I just stop listening and just tune out.

CharlesM posted:

Advent Horizon is in Juneau which is a huge city, and not like, you know, what everybody thinks of when they hear Alaska. :v:

The weather is still going to be pretty lovely some of the year - and I have no idea about his power grid reliability, but here in the midwest of the lower 48s, you will have at least 1/100th disruption per year on average - that is about 3 days and change. If you don't have power, heat, or a working car, you tend to get sort of hosed. Again, for a hyoog city, this is likely not all that problematic, since we survived the SFBA rolling blackouts of the late 90s. :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

roomforthetuna posted:

So you're saying there's no point in answering your question (well, responding to your statement). Good to know.

Placing your head in the sand and shouting louder than I am is truly beneficial. Thank you for supporting my statement.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

duz posted:

He's always been like that. He doesn't have any questions, just objections to the EV1.

Actually, I was hoping for some real metrics, other than "Today, it costs me..(due to factors playing towards its favor)." I'd like some real world figures on this, and yes, I poo-poo on EV on occasion, just because I think people are blindly chewing at the bit.

Advent Horizon posted:

You may also want to take into account whether the generator is running to power anything else. If you have a generator hookup on your house it's likely you'd have enough spare capacity most of the time to plug an EV into a 120V outlet. Could be useful when you need to have the generator running for some minor load.

Does your generator offer a discount for adding your house to the equation? :v:

(Fwiw, I'm paying about $0.12/kwh. Shitsux.)

Suqit posted:

I don't know why you give a poo poo if someone wants to buy an electric car unless they yell at you for using gas, which nobody in here really does. :confused:

Not yet.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 18, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

The Locator posted:

What the gently caress kind of lovely third world grid does your local utility run that you are getting that sort of power disruption? Holy poo poo.

Rural North-west America. I'm less than an hour from a largish city, but I am still over 30 miles out, and bordering two states - neither of which gives a crap. Most folks out here have their phone service from yet ANOTHER state which borders on the other side. v:v:v

The Locator posted:

Sounds like you need to be bitching at your local utility commission, or you live in tornado alley and get lots of downed lines on a regular basis.

We have both above, and underground power. Whenever we get over a foot of snow, poo poo tends to stop working. We've had the roads plowed twice already this year, which is a feat unto itself. No tornadoes, and the last few earthquakes didn't interrupt much but a bit of sleep.

It still isn't horribly viable for an EV here, where I, and a good portion of Americans live. A (former) coworker ended up with a Volt, and as Chevys' site shows by CURRENT data,it gets about 38-40 on a full charge. Best case.

A good portion of America is farther away than an 18 mile commute, and we can't sit plugged in for a whole day for that - and to pray there is enough juice for the return. Plus, in my case, the electric is still pretty drat high at $0.12/kwh off peak (also used in Chevys' current Volt metrics).

Mortanis posted:

I'd still be interested in knowing what specifics, but ultimately it's moot. You're here to stir the pot, not have a conversation.

You've made this statement several times now. I really have noting to retort other than I'm glad you were able to make it 13 miles out of your normal commute without having to deliver the child yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Suqit posted:

So it won't work for you nobody gives a gently caress. It works for plenty of people. Don't buy one.

Thank you for your attention to my own plight and point of futility regarding the current EV market ouside of frivolous cities with glamorous people, sir. :tipshat:

• Locked thread