Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
What do you all think would it take to make an electric truck viable to the average truck owner?

I'd speculate myself but I lack expertise and familiarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

grover posted:

Saw a recent study comparing a Chevy Volt to the similarly sized Chevy Malibu; for the average 12,000/yr commuter, you would have to drive the Volt for 25 years to save any money.

People that are buying EVs right now aren't doing so for money or practicality.

Can you find or name the study? I'd like to read it.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

grover posted:

This article critiques the numbers:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/business/energy-environment/for-hybrid-and-electric-cars-to-pay-off-owners-must-wait.html?hp&_r=0

Of the Volt:
Even the most generous studies are showing a much longer payback period than most people are going to own the car, and don't include the cost of battery replacement or major overhauls in the computations; it's simply arithmetic showing that while it's painful to be coughing up $50 at the pump every other week, it's still small compared to that car payment.

Now, USED, on the other hand... if Volt prices can come down into the single digits, fuel efficiency costs might look more favorable.

It appears to be comparing $30k and $40k vehicles to ones sometimes half of their price then saying it will take a very, very long time for fuel savings alone to make up the difference.

I don't see how this is interesting or useful information.

edit: The images to the sides of the article aren't just ads :downs:

edit2: Y'know what'd be nice? Something that compares average driving habits in electric, hybrid, and ICE vehicles with comparable trim levels. I know that's subjective in many ways, but I think it will be more useful than comparing MPG ratings of vehicles from completely different price ranges without regard for anything else. You might as well suggest buying a bicycle.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 28, 2012

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Just put a bigass thermometer on the dash or something.

• Locked thread