Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Colonel Sanders posted:

So somebody left an EV unplugged, somebody used a shoddy 100ft extension cord, someone shipped a car to a foreign country without making any preparations and proceeded to leave the EV unplugged, somebody else hosed up a BMW EV and then hosed up their Tesla EV and nobody knows anything about the 5th bricked Tesla.

Considering Tesla warns owners about this, and the car notifies the owner and has an alarm, I find this hard to consider newsworthy.

In that article it says that the batteries can last "weeks even months" without being plugged in, and then in the original article it says that it takes 11 weeks to discharge (assuming this means bricked). The only one that lists a specific time frame in the article says that it took 6 weeks to be bricked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Colonel Sanders posted:

I will admit it kinda sucks that you can not leave an EV unplugged for long periods of time. On the other hand, basic maintenance is a part of vehicle ownership. If I drove a car for 6 weeks with no oil there would be no question that the resulting damage would be my own fault. I feel Tesla has done enough to warn users about this, in multiple sections the manual states discharging the battery is bad and not covered by warranty, the car will message you if it is about to die. RTFM or pay the price I guess.

On the other hand, if you let a car sit for 6 weeks with no fluids or electricity, you would have to ... set the clock? Also, like I said above, the one person who has a timeline on how long they let their car sit (6 weeks) is well within the time period that Tesla brags about (weeks to months). The car simply didn't do what they said it should do.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Actually, it does exactly what Tesla says it does: The battery will discharge if left unplugged, and over-discharge will damage the battery.

"Tesla batteries can remain unplugged for weeks (even months), without reaching zero state of charge."

"Lacking a built-in Tesla charger or a convenient power outlet, he left the car unplugged. Six weeks later his car was dead."

Did you read the articles? Six weeks is barely more than a month.

• Locked thread