Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What happened to that Israeli company that was trying to build electric cars and service stations that would be able to just replace all the batteries in the car in like 15 minutes?

Better Place is still going: http://www.betterplace.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

EVs run in the top 6 at Pikes Peak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtK0TfwTApM

I was so bummed about Tajima's car retiring in the first mile. He could have taken the top time this year.*

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/08/pikes-peak-ev-catches-fire/

*unlucky situations (Dallenbach) and weather took out all the rest of the fastest competitors

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Madurai posted:

The motorized door handles seem to be the early reliability complaint leader on the Tesla.

They cost $1200 each to make. What could go wrong?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

A co-worker of mine just picked up a Rav4 EV for under $30k (list is $49k!) after dealer, mfg and tax rebates. Tesla motor and battery, 0-60 in 6.8 (which probably feels faster than that) and a real 100+ miles of range. I am going to take it for a spin this week sometime, but it really does seem like the best EV you can own right now in the non-luxury price range. Anyone in California thinking about EVs should consider this one while dealers are blowing them out. A lot of technological bang (or whirrr) for the buck.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

grover posted:

Even invoice is $47800 on those so something was definitely up; someone took an $18k loss on that, and I'm guessing most of it was the california taxpayer.

Shame the economics just doesn't work out yet. A normal Rav4 costs literally half what Rav4 EV does ($23k vs $48); at 12000 miles per year, the break-even point is like 15 years but even that's not really true because you'd need to replace the Rav4's batteries.

The point was that no one is paying $48K for these he just walked into a dealer and bought one this way, so the payback is way faster (if that's what you're after). They were compliance cars and Toyota needs to get rid of them somehow. My co-worker mentioned that the price dropped $500 more two weeks after he bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

keykey posted:

Besides Tesla, are there any EV's that have actual reasonable commute range?

If you need a Tesla's range to commute, your drive does not fall under the "reasonable" category.

• Locked thread