Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

roomforthetuna posted:

He is by no means an engineer.

What would work though, would be to put some bike pedals inside your EV so while you're driving you can be pedaling to help charge the battery. Include some extras for passengers too. Of course you'd have to move the gas and brake pedals onto the steering wheel to compensate for your feet being busy.

With non-stop three very fit people pedaling for about 3 days you could get one full charge of a smaller Tesla battery, if the charging system is near-lossless!
The average ameteur bicyclists can put out about 1/4th horsepower; if they're fit, they can keep it up for an hour. Which is, unfortunately, about an order of magnitude shy of what you'd need to drive at highway speeds. (I mean, there's good reasons you can't travel 70mph on a bicycle, and an EV car has way more drag.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
You don't need a kill-a-watt; you can use just about and any power meter that has kWh logging; there are a zillion out there.

Advent Horizon posted:

1. My electricity is 100% hydro. Captain Planet can rest easy.
2. We had at least 6 power outages in the last week and I still managed to get the car charged. I also still have the truck if the power situation gets bad enough, but at that point I doubt my office would even be open.
3. I pay half-price for electricity from 10pm to 7am. Demand metering is nothing special to many people. Even if I were paying $35 a month in energy I'd still be coming out ahead.
4. Yes, the heater sucks energy. I also have to run the defroster nearly constantly year-round because it is goddamn moist around here. I still get around just fine.

Edit: And gas here is still nearly $4/gallon. poo poo's expensive to import without a road.
That's great and all, but electricity is a fungible commodity, and hydroelectric is at maximum capacity; your using xx.xxx kW-h of hydro power means that someone else that would have used hydro, or wind or solar or nuclear or any of the other maxed-capacity sources ends up being provided by coal or natural gas.

So no matter where you think your electricity is coming from, your use of more electricity equates directly into more coal or natural gas being burned.

• Locked thread