Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Elephanthead posted:

I would like to know how I can get 440V service installed in my garage so I can charge this thing up in 30 minutes. Do I need three phase service or something exotic? Three phase is super expensive per month and cost prohibitive. How are these public charging stations connected?

Edit: I looks like three phase power to my house ain't going to happen. Duke energy told me no way. Time to get my landlord at work to install one for me in my personal parking spot.

The easiest way would be to get a large 220v circuit and run it through a transformer. If you could get a 220v 200a service you could step it up to 440v 100a (minus transformer losses). 3 phase is not feasible for most houses right now. Large segments of neighborhoods would need to be rewired. I can imagine companies will start roughing in 3 phase to at least the street level in newer developments in the near future.

To anyone interested in electric vehicles in general, you might want to check out The Electric Motorcycle thread in the Cycle Asylum. Since bikes have a much better weight to power ratio than cars, they appear to be poised to reach practicality (impracticality?) sooner than cars.

Nomex fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
There's no reason you couldn't get an even bigger service than that. As long as the power company has the capacity, you could get 220v 1000a if you wanted.

Here's some huge rear end circuit breakers

3 phase power would be nice to have, but it's not ever going to be a requirement, unless chargers for some reason start requiring a balanced waveform. (They won't)

Nomex fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 19, 2012

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
The problem with compressed air is you need a large tank and really high pressure to get any kind of meaningful power output. Big, high pressure tank = big, high pressure explosion in the case of an accident. With hydrogen you can store it in pressurized gas form or hydride form (low pressure), and you can actually store more in hydride form in some cases. There's also been a ton of research into different nanomaterials that may allow hydrogen to be stored at the molecular level in tiny surface pores. If they can get that going, hydrogen will have big safety benefits over compressed air.

Coredump posted:

Novex

I get no respect :(

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a premium that people would be willing to pay for a commuter-range EV over a gasoline equivalent?

I could be persuaded to possibly pay a 10% premium if it was a second car or whatever. So that would be roughly 21K for a Focus, be generous and call it 24K for a Focus EV. But they're setting the price at $40K and even if the government were to drop substantial cash on hood again, I doubt they'd bring it down to my territory.

If I could buy, drive and then sell the car 4 years later and come in within 15% of the cost of doing the same with a gas car, I would probably go for it. The only real difference would be the battery cost vs the fuel cost, as the rest of the car should be covered under warranty for the whole time.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Can you actually fit 4 adults comfortably in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
The Tesla Model S 40kw is going to be $62,500 Canadian. If I hock my truck and my bike I wouldn't owe too much... It's seriously tempting, especially considering the Trans Canada highway is getting free charging stations:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/new-cars/auto-news/free-ev-chargers-installed-along-the-trans-canada-highway/article5520638/

• Locked thread