Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ijustam posted:

Who in the world would pay $40,000 for a Ford Focus ?

You can replace that with almost any of these cars. But these are the people that are going to keep the segment moving in the right direction.

If the Volt was 10k cheaper I'd have bought one in 2011.

Edit: V :golfclap:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Prius has been out for a decade.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

roomforthetuna posted:

Yeah, my point is the replacement-required lifetime of a battery whose requirement is "still work a bit" is much much longer than the replacement-required lifetime of a battery whose requirement is "still have enough capacity to drive 70+ miles on it."

And it's also much much less expensive to replace a relatively small hybrid battery bank when the time comes.

So we can't really even begin to derive the practical running cost of a proper EV from the electric-part running cost of a hybrid.

I was just thinking it would be interesting to see something on hybrids as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DJ Commie posted:

You can buy a 50A socket from Home Depot and have it wired in easily enough.

Yeah that sounds much cheaper/easier than just using the adapter for the car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Missed this. Yeah, I'm not getting a Leaf until there's any ability to charge at work, and right now there's no outlets of any sort on the outside of the building (or if there are, they're in high traffic areas and I'd get written up for causing a tripping hazard). The lighting circuits are on a timer so the poles aren't live. I've been yakking with the guy in charge of actually operating the building and while it's not a trivial amount of work, it's something at least he's willing to do - if someone actually has a need. So we're at a chicken/egg scenario and the reason I haven't gone ahead and snagged a Leaf to push the issue is I know there's a significant chance someone higher up will get all stupid and decide to block it.

So tell the guy you bought one but can't drive it to work until he installs an outlet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

You never need to charge when you are close to home as you will charge when you are sleeping. The only time you need public charging is when you are going farther away from home. I can quick charge my leaf in 20 minutes and get 60 more highway miles out of it if there is an available QC where I need it. Chargers need to be on interstates and destinations like theme parks, stadiums and museums where you would drive 100 miles to get to them. Hotels would be nice also. Stores are kinda pointless unless it is an IKEA or mega mall where you might drive far since there are so few of them.

If you live out of gas stations on a road trip you're throwing money away. I hit at least one grocery store every day when I'm on the road.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

So you buy gas in gallon jugs and pour them in? Do you have a veggie burner? This is about "fueling the car" not your goon gut.

That's funny, you said it was useless to have charging stations at stores. gently caress off.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

grover posted:

Or... the power companies can upgrade residential power distribution infrastructure.

And the oil companies can cut their profit margins in half and we'll get cheap gas again. And Congress will pass a balanced budget without putting thousands on the streets, and Israel will make peace with the Muslim world and treat Palestinians like human beings and the F-35B will be cut to pay for the resumption of F-22 construction and Teraflex will give me a $5000 gift card.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Airplanes don't fall out of the sky, they glide rather well, for miles and miles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

If you're using a 1960s/70s/80s vintage cockpit with steam gauges...but good luck with a glass cockpit. Didn't the 787 also do away with hydraulic/pneumatics in a lot of subsystems as well?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

$100 for 200-300 miles is considerably above gasoline level. I drive one of the least aerodynamic vehicles in history (Wrangler) that gets worse mileage than most of whats out there, and it's about $60 for 350 miles. If your long trip is uncommon enough, it'll balance out in the big picture. But it's nowhere near "gasoline level" unless your other car is an '88 Countach.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamn that's a sexy beast.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Try this.

And post the results, I'm curious. :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Aargh posted:

I wonder if that will become a thing, root your car to get performance upgrades.
Reprogramming car computers for improved performance has been a thing for a while now. Why would it be different for EVs?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Our government had a program where you got paid to have your old car's engine destroyed as a way of promoting fuel efficiency. Nobody making these decisions gives a gently caress about people who enjoy cars or bikes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Voltage posted:

Holy poo poo, I almost can't believe this, The Cadillac ELR, (which was originally the beautiful Converj concept) literally a 2 door Chevy Volt with a nicer interior, is going to start at a pathologically insane $75,995. No drivetrain changes, still ~35 mile electric range. Early reports said it would be no more than $50-55K. Are the banking on people who just won't want to go through the hassle of buying a Model S, especially in somewhere like Texas where they can't directly sell them? I can't fathom a reason to buy this car at all, poo poo you could almost buy two volts.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/10/11/2014-cadillac-elr-priced-from-75-000/

One word: Escalade.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This is an odd thing to recommend, but for something like that I'd sign up for Angie's List. I found an electrician with good reviews who also had a loving coupon that saved me about $130 off the total bill. I had no idea there were coupons on there. YMMV

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TheWevel posted:

I think what actually makes it news is that these are relatively new cars catching fire. If 3 2013-2014 Honda Accords caught fire it would get the same amount of coverage. They just happen to be Teslas, which made news for its wild stock prices. That's kind of the icing on the news cake.

Nope. Wranglers were having a problem a couple of years ago with leaking ATF which was also superhot because there was no trans cooler up front. The fluid would land in the skid plate, where all sorts of dried grass and leaves were waiting to go up. The fix was to add a cooler and replace the skit plate with a bar, but this never made the news.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not as cool to most AI posters I'm sure (including me), but apparently Bigfoot 20 is the world's first electric monster truck. I stumbled on that unexpectedly yesterday but don't recall seeing it in here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Throw on a meter and an ID-card swipe or PIN access so they can deduct the real amount from my paycheck.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Nevermind.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ijustam posted:

How do you measure the electricity drawn by the charger? Do you have a meter for that outlet or something?

Buy a Kill-a-Watt or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ToxicFrog posted:

This, on the other hand, is the interior of a 2014 Leaf:

That looks awesome. Too bad the exterior looks like halfway through their work, the design team just wandered away from their workplace and got captured and held by the Taliban for 5 years.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Automotive Insanity › Vagina & EV anticipation / speculation / discussion electrothread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.thingiverse.com

That was hard.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm guessing about a 1/4 mile.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Is there a single hybrid SUV where fuel savings recoup the extra cost in less than 100,000 miles?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It averaged over 60 mph, which ain't bad. Weather permitting, I guess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Par for the course for a govt contractor.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

The key is that each bay requires a lift or pit large and equipped enough to handle over half a ton of batteries, even before getting to the automation part. You're looking at some huge installation and maintenance costs, and far less versatile or future proof too

Unlike underground fuel tanks at gas stations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm pretty sure someone raised the exact same argument the first time someone wanted to bury a massive gas tank. It's not like we don't have machines that do far more complicated tasks already. Yeah, it'll be pricey at first but you can bet Chevron or some other major company can get some scale pricing magic and get that ball rolling if they want to.

I'm only seeing arguments that will prevent this from being an overnight development, not some sort of fatal flaw.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I

blugu64 posted:

Pretty sure you can order factory service manuals for pretty much anything from a dealer.
Not all of them, and some are stripped down...no wiring diagrams, for example.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I really don't understand why electric buses aren't more popular (around where I live, at least). Vehicles that the operator always knows when they leave and exactly how far they'll go each trip. Seems pretty perfect, no reason for range anxiety.

According to one of my local transit authority officials (they're looking at phasing in a few as a test program) they cost 2-4x as much as other buses.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yes but in some states there some pretty heavy restrictions on their ability to actually SELL the cars. Like here in Utah, the SLC Tesla store can't actually sell any vehicles. They talk to people and I think do maintenance.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, the dealership lobby is a lot more powerful than most people realize. Also, it exists, which most people probably don't realize. Probably 1/3 of the major dealerships in this state are owned by one of the richest families around here, the same folks that own the Jazz, a movie theater chain, raceway, a AAA baseball team, a tv station, etc. They've got some pull.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah. :( Hopefully someone else will buy it, but I don't have a clue who would.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Taima posted:

Did you try testing a VW E-Golf? I was totally set on getting a Leaf, then test drove the E-Golf, and immediately realized that it was better than the Leaf in every way imaginable except I guess the infotainment. Interior miles better, stock feature package way better, insanely good audio system, drives significantly better, has a range of adaptive braking options that you set via a real stick, not a feminine knob thing (?)... I could go on.

I'm unsure at this point why people would get a new Leaf over the E-Golf.

With the amount of electrical problems a normal VW has, the idea of an all-electric one is loving horrifying.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How many passengers can fit in there with it?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Voltage posted:

I for one, welcome our new electric liquid metal robot snake spine overlords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMM0lRfX6YI

Nobody tell ADTRW.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That car will still be there in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Neeever mind.

V Yeah I didn't realize it was the crossover at first.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 3, 2015

• Locked thread