Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I saw this on some luxury car a few years ago (I want to say BMW). Thanks car, I figured it out when I had to scrape ice off you for four minutes.

It's a warning to let you know it's cold enough outside for there to be ice on the road, BMW does it every time the temp drops below 37f.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Blooot posted:

If you need a Tesla's range to commute, your drive does not fall under the "reasonable" category.

I think you see statements like this because people with longer commutes have a lot to gain from an EV and the range is frustrating at the moment. Mine is 65 miles and 2.5 hours round trip (or $200/mo). It seems like even under a worst case scenario, I could make it in a leaf, but would be cutting it far too close for comfort. I'm sure the next generation of these cars will see a 50% bump in range which will make them workable for everyone but the crazy people who drive 100+ miles a day.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Hillridge posted:

I've never leased before, but this is chiefly what I'm looking at right now. I'm assuming it's similar to buying a car with haggling over the price, but in the case of a lease, are you negotiating the monthly rate, total cost of the car, other stuff, or all of the above?

There are a few good posts on SA about leasing, I would recommend reading them all and understanding as much about lease specific terms (residual, money factor, capital cost reduction etc) as you can. You don't want to be that Altima guy.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
They're a lot closer if you do a new vs new comparison. Not equal, but getting there. Compare a Tesla with gas savings factored in against a BMW or MB with the same performance for example.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Ola posted:

I was able to maintain the speed limit just fine by staying in 2nd gear at around 5000 rpm, nice with a revvy 1.0.

Why would you do this?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I think it's dangerous to make drivers use controls they actually have to look at while driving, knobs/buttons are much better for common functions. Doesn't it take multiple taps just to unlock the doors? I'm sure it kills your night vision as well.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Really? Care to explain because all I'm seeing from Tesla and SpaceX is a lot of poo poo being built that not just works but is loving cool

His target dates are hilariously bad. The Model X was supposed to be out in 2013, but was delayed until what has become Q3 2015 to help make the company profitable in 2013, which has now been pushed to 2020.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

then Tesla with what is literally one of the best ever cars ever made on the road right now, let alone a hell of a EV

This is a bit of a stretch really, put the drivetrain in something German and you'd be closer. Tesla is still working on perfecting things like seating, sunvisors and coat hooks, the main purpose of the big touch screen is to distract buyers from how low rent the rest of the interior is. I've spent a lot of time in one, this isn't based on internet pictures.

The Germans are making GBS threads their pants, they'll catch up on the powertrain front, they're already better everywhere else. Once every manufacturer has an EV and there is no compelling reason to purchase a Tesla Elon Musk will shut it down or sell it to Geely and move on to something else. It's probably what he's been planning on the whole time, I can't imagine the guy spending the next 10 years perfecting his cars without getting bored. I hope they give him a nobel prize for getting the whole thing started though.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
They're also taking on the auto dealers and deserve a lot of credit for that. It's hard to imagine buying a Corolla like you buy any other appliance (from amazon), but it'd be amazing.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

Buy over email. It's great when everything is in writing.

I had one salesman tell me he didn't want to email a price because it would be really low and he 'didn't want that getting out on the internet and forums and stuff. Once it's in writing you can't take it back".

The dealership I bought from FedEx'd me the paperwork, which let me read it thoroughly while at home before signing. Much, much better than trying to skim it quickly.

...I'd still rather just order online from a website :sigh:

I've always ended up going to the dealer after agreeing on price via email, never really occurred to me to try to do the whole transaction remotely. Might try that next time, It'd be great to avoid the back room crap completely.

kill me now posted:

AI has this weird idea that the entire world is anything like them. In reality there are very few really well informed customers. Hell I still get customers walking in the door at my dealership saying "I am interested in a Kia" and when asked which model they don't even know the names of the cars. Even the people that come in thinking they have done good research come in wildly misinformed about option packages and pricing.

For better or worse dealers aren't going away any time soon.

Showrooms are fine and necessary, people still need to test drive and ask questions. The current dealership model is what needs to change.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I think the biggest problem for anything other than slow charging at home at night is going to be the grid. It's staggering how much power is going to have to be flowing into any sort of station geared toward quick range restoration of an electric vehicle. It doesn't matter HOW that range is getting into the cars (battery swap, electrolyte swap, supercharging). What matters is how the station is going to get enough electricity to keep up with demand on a busy corridor.

Think of the number of vehicles that refuel on a service station along any interstate in a busy travel corridor. Even if they could swap batteries out in 3 minutes, how are they going to be able to charge and turnaround those batteries to another customer without having a HUGE inventory on hand that they are slow charging. The less inventory they keep on hand, faster charging is going to be needed on the inventory on hand and more power is going to needed at the station.

I think time/place of charge is going to have brutal pricing tiers. It's cheap to charge your EV at home, it might cost $50 on the side of an interstate if you stop at a busy time.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

It fucks things up significantly; the storage needs expand significantly and the inventory of stored batteries goes up by a big margin.

It's not without good cause, because battery packs are not fungible; a brand new pack will hold charge better than a several years old one, one that's gone through many charge/discharge cycles has less life in it than one fresh from the factory, heat cycles will reduce its life, and it's probably the case that despite their marketing, Supercharging will impact the lifespan of a pack.

There was talk of "either come back and retrieve your own pack which has been charged up, or pay a premium to keep the new pack". The latter case being a killer feature; the biggest cost on any electrically powered vehicle is the finite lifespan battery pack and its replacement, and Tesla dropped the labor cost for that to drat near 0.

I think if they had a trustable battery pack lifelog, it's still a pretty tractable problem. Then you swap batteries like for like; if you got a run down pack you swap for a run down pack that's fully charged. If your Tesla has 500 miles on it, you swap for a new pack that's fully charged. The scale of inventory on hand balloons, but by a much smaller degree than "You have to come get your exact pack back."

I think their 8 year unlimited mile battery warranty fixes this pretty well. Assuming the batteries they're giving out aren't totally thrashed, there isn't a big reason to get upset if you get a battery back with 10% less capacity than the one you gave up. As long as you can go to a Tesla dealer at the end of the warranty (or any other time, maybe change of ownership) and get one with the capacity you should have based on the age of the car (or just a completely new replacement), I'd be happy with random swaps.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

If you want my reason for why I might not get a first model Model S even once you can get a decent used one for $60k or whatever, it's that they might get better SO FAST.

I would be wary of this, nobody really seems to know how Tesla will operate once the cars are out of the warranty because so few of them are, will they cost used Camry or used S class amounts per year to keep running?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

Electric cars in general have way fewer moving parts and while I doubt what mechanical work has to be done on a Tesla would be cheap, service is still along the lines of "change air filter and rotate tires". The more worrisome thing that we don't have any good data on yet is how long until your average battery pack plummets in capacity and will we have cheaper/better batteries in time for it to not cost close to or over 5 digits when that happens?

Service is the easy part, it's what happens when your center stack touchscreen has a problem, or anything in the car outside of the drive unit. Nobody seems to know how much a set of brake pads, or headlights or new door handle erector motors will actually cost with labor. They might be nice about it and do everything for reasonable prices, but the current situation where you are effectively bound to them completely for maintenance is unique.

They need to start providing documentation for routine maintenance tasks at minimum, battery coolant change, brake pad swap, etc. Ideally, they would be obliged to sell their diagnostic tools to independent mechanics like the other manufacturers, so third party service becomes doable.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Ola posted:

To be fair, no other vehicle manufacturer provides that info. They do the classic Haynes manual thing of stripping one down. Tesla's will be much thinner than the others. And if you don't like the way their software works, there is actually a forum you can troll which actually has an effect. Did that happen for any other make?

Yes they do, because they are mandated to do so. It is my understanding that Tesla does not and does not have to because they don't have dealerships, the law is intended to help Bobs Independent Autohaus compete with the dealers for service work. Ideally they'd do it anyway, if they don't, the law needs to be changed to force them. Tesla is basically behaving like an electronics company, but a car is not something most people can just trash once the applecare is up.

The forums are interesting, I did read through one thread where someone had persistent problems with a loud drivetrain clunk that Tesla fixed for him out of warranty but only after he signed an NDA. Why? BMW has done goodwill repair for me without needing anything like that.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
No tax credit on a used one though right? I think the Tesla CPO cars are overpriced, a new 70 is 65k after state/federal incentives, they have used 60's for more than that. Not considering options, but the 70 has a bunch of stuff standard now anyway.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I just wish the Model 3 will be 20-25k instead of 30k. Those extra few thousands on either side will be either a great incentive or a big barrier to a lot of households.

The average new car deal is 32k, if they can even get close to that number, say in the mid-high 30's, it'd be affordable for the average new car buyer when considering the gas savings.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
We have it, but at 16.6/5.6 for peak/off peak vs 9.4c flat I'm not sure it'd be worth it. That 16.6 cent rate would be killer during the day in the summer with the home AC on, you're not allowed to have a second meter with time of use billing.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Probably the latter, but that'll be cheap enough for a lot of people. If it's 200 miles for 40-50k before incentives and isn't rear end ugly like the Bolt I'd probably buy one.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Taima posted:

We have a 240v outlet for the dryer, can I use a split extension cord on that outlet and power both?

If you can find a cable with the right plugs and an amperage rating the same or greater than your dryer outlet circuit breaker (Check your electrical panel, the breaker will have it on the lever most likely), this will work. You probably won't be able to run the dryer and charge the car at the same time without tripping the breaker.

I can't imagine a hardwired outlet costing more than a few hundred dollars if your electrical panel is in or close to the garage.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Both, unless you pay up. Base battery is probably 40-50 kWh. Autopilot hardware will be in every 3, but you'll pay to activate it. Supercharger access won't be free. IMO you won't want to drive a no-options 3.

I expect msrp on mine to be near 50, maybe 55. poo poo ain't cheap.

I expect exactly this, it'll be the BMW approach where an optioned up Model 3 is approaching the cost of a base Model S. (See highly optioned 3 series vs base 5)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Powershift posted:

Mcdonalds could throw a few cords out of each of their buildings and become one of the worlds largest filling station chains.

I can see this becoming popular, 5kwh free with the purchase of a large whatever, they could tie the whole thing together through their mobile app for purchase validation and additional charging for a fee.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
A good dealership makes it pretty easy, just don't go anywhere near the building until you have a price you're happy with in an email. The last car we leased involved about 3 one line emails back/forth with the dealer around money down (none) and qualifying for any loyalty incentives before they came back with a quote which didn't change. I was in and out to pick the car up in about 90 minutes. If they won't give you pricing up front with no bullshit via email go somewhere else.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't follow this thread in general. Has it been beaten to death how people are defending the Model 3 not having a speedometer on the dash by saying it would make the car cost more? Because JFC that's so loving stupid. You can argue the necessity of it, but it couldn't cost more than another $10 per unit.

I predict a thriving market in GPS based stick-on speedometers that match the model 3's dash texture/color. Kind of like the A pillar gauge pods that were big in the 90's

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Thwomp posted:

The change we've all been looking for is happening now. It's slow and there still isn't a Johnny Electron's station on every corner but it's happening.

It really is, Royal Farms is a gas station chain that does food sort of like a Wawa or Sheetz. All of their new stations in this area have a DC fast charger attached (Chademo and CCS), it's a pretty smart way for them to attract drivers who will stop for 20-30 minutes and buy a sandwich or whatever while their car charges.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Apparently some Bolts have an issue where the seat padding is wrong causing crippling pain for drivers. How do you gently caress up seat padding.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

This is a decent review, the one a few pages ago was trash.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Ola posted:

Cool. So perhaps it is at worst 1:1?

Yes, there are states where a Prius is about as cheap to run as an EV. Electricity prices are much less volatile and are heavily regulated in the US though, so that's only going to be the case until oil prices spike again for whatever reason.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've never seen the "people hate getting gas" thing myself. I mean, yeah, it's something you have to do as part of owning a gas-powered car, but it's an extra ten minutes of your life every few hundred miles. That doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Sometimes it's really cold outside and the gas station is packed with people trying to reverse into each other and you just want to get home.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I sat in a Bolt at the local auto show and it had, by far, the most rock hard seat I've ever experienced in a car. You could have told me it was a metal stadium seat covered by cloth and I would have believed you.

I believe the seat issue is not a design problem so much as wildly inconsistent manufacturing on GM's part, with some cars being ok and some causing their owners crippling pain.

IMO the new leaf and the 2018 egolf are the best "normal" EV's at a mass market price point at the moment.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is the dorky little retractable spoiler on the Model X driver-controlled, unreliable, or just pops up any time the car is in drive? I was behind one for a while today in 0-20mph traffic and it was always up.

On the base models I think it is permanently erect, having it retract is optional.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

exactly, the number of times I drive outside of the range of a Leaf is very low, but there's still a lot of risk:

1. at home - live in a rented house where landlord won't install charging and the ROI sucks for us to do it ourselves since we plan to move
2. to inlaws - they don't have charging, I would have to charge off 110
3. to airport - they have charging but no guarantee that it's available

Even ignoring the first point, there's no guarantee that at the end of my 50 mi journey that I'll find charging - versus for ICE cars, there's a loving gas station on every other corner. Until there's a level of density approaching that, people are going to be very anxious about range.

If your household is like most, you have two cars, one of which would still be gasoline powered. It'd still work just fine for any kind of unusual long distance driving.

I don't own two cars with AWD just because it snows sometimes.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

The Sicilian posted:

So despite the critic's claims of insolvency (any day now), quality issues, and missed production deadlines; the Tesla Model 3 is the best selling EV in the North American market.

Can't all of those things be true at the same time?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
A PHEV Honda Pilot has been spied in testing, I don't think it'll be out until next year but it's an option if you're worried about Mitsubishi. Hopefully it'll have some kind of electrified SH-AWD in it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I find the constant focus on how many model 3's Tesla can produce weird. Once they've worked through the reservations the focus will shift to how many they can sell. The new goal of 10k a week is 520,000 cars a year. That's in the same ballpark as the global production of the 3 series or A4 , which are in a similar price range. Will enough buyers in that market (US$50k give or take) switch?

There don't seem to be any solid numbers on the state of their order backlog, presumably they're well through it or there would have been no point in opening up orders to those without reservations. Assuming they deliver to all reservation holders by the end of this year, what does 2019 look like?

This supremely unbiased article confidently states the Germans will lose at least one third of their total sales to the Model 3 by the end of this year. I guess it's possible but I struggle to imagine that many buyers being swayed by the advantages of an EV.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/09/mercedes-bmw-audi-on-verge-of-dramatic-disruption-from-tesla-model-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I got the same email a few minutes ago, but they made this actual change a week or two back, there was some chat in this thread about it prior to the latest tesla bankruptcy derail.

• Locked thread