Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I would like to know how I can get 440V service installed in my garage so I can charge this thing up in 30 minutes. Do I need three phase service or something exotic? Three phase is super expensive per month and cost prohibitive. How are these public charging stations connected?

Edit: I looks like three phase power to my house ain't going to happen. Duke energy told me no way. Time to get my landlord at work to install one for me in my personal parking spot.

3 phase only gets run out for industrial areas, almost never residential. You can step it up, but, getting all that done would be highly cost prohibitive unless you somehow lucked into getting multiple services run to your house (i.e. if a welder had requested 2 200a services run) and you can simply step up one service and leave the other to run the house. Getting 2 200a services, or a 400a service, is pretty much unpossible nowadays unless you can grease some wheels rather effectively with the local utility.

Pvt Dancer posted:

Hydrogen has the potential to be as convenient as gasoline in terms of refueling and can really shine when you generate your own power at home and store the excess as hydrogen. Sadly there's too many things not in place to make it work for a consumer vehicle at the moment (even apart from fuel cells behind wildly expensive).

The bitch of fuel cells is the kind that can feasibly replace gas require platinum or palladium which sends the price through the roof. They're exploring alternatives (like borax*, the current hotness) but they generally have their issues but we're not quite as pigeonholed with hydrogen as we are batteries. There's one promising kind that I can't remember the name of that we'll start seeing used to replace batteries in appliances/phones/stuff like that, but it scales extremely poorly right now. It's still getting a footprint; industrial power backup is definitely trending toward fuel cells because lifetime cost is significantly reduced over a diesel generator system.

If they can get all the issues with borax fuel cells sorted out (huge, huge if right now) you'd have an ideal replacement for gas. Cheap, abundant and relatively non-toxic for what it is. I can see it panning out simply because America has ridiculous reserves and it'd be that enigmatic domestically provided for energy reserve. If you can be the swinging dick in the post-oil world, there's a ridiculous profit involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Brigdh posted:

I haven't paid attention to hydrogen in a long time, but have they figured out how a tank of pressurized hydrogen can have half the range or better of the same volume of gas? Also, any breakthroughs in producing hydrogen that take less energy than electrolysis and haven't fizzled out in a few months?

Brainfarted but I meant hydrogen fuel cell. I don't think hydrogen-as-an-actual-fuel is all that viable because the energy density is poo poo. It probably has its uses, but it doesn't come up much in the "green" industry.

• Locked thread