Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Colonel Sanders posted:

Tax on VMT is the most accurate way to tax individuals however also somewhat invasive. But at least that idea is not even half as invasive as the Dutch.

That plan was cancelled. Like the plan to tax based on road usage before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Colonel Sanders posted:

The downside is the starting price tag of $49K is comparable to a 5 series BMW, how does the Tesla Model S compare to a 5 series in terms of luxury and performance?

Tax incentives may make this irrelevant in certain markets.
A colleague of mine who works as a independent contractor was showing me the tax incentives on a Opel Ampera the other day. The €45000 ampera ends up costing you ~20k and on top of that come additional incentives (like low taxation if you use it privately as well) and lower roadtaxes.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Barring some new discovery in battery/charging technology that allows you to charge a 100kWh battery pack in less than 10 minutes, I believe more in standardizing battery packs and building infrastructure based on automatic quick-swap stations.

Flow batteries is another possibility, but that technology is still unsuitable for EVs due to low energy density.

Tesla already gave up on quick swap because they found out people used it once as a gimmick and then never again. There is also the issue with possibly having to pay quite a bit of money if you swap out a 85% capacity battery pack and they swap in a newer 97% pack.
Is anyone still working on quick swap batteries?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

I wrote an effortpost on the topic a while ago. Basically the way to do quick swap is that you own your vehicle but you don't own a specific battery pack. Instead you pay annually for a "power service contract" which gives you usage right of the battery pack currently in your car and gives you access to both supercharging and quick swap. (If Tesla gains a significant market share I don't think free supercharging for everyone will continue to be viable for them.)

Renault has a system like this where the car (Fluence, Zoe) is pretty cheap but you have a battery lease on top of it.
I'm not sure i would be ok with this. You just know that in 5 or 6 years they are going to say "The 412-b-X battery pack is being retired, please buy a vehicle compatible with our battery packs".
I personally would never buy a vehicle where i could not own the battery pack unless it was literally the only vehicle available.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

drgitlin posted:

If you're considering a Model 3 you should really give the Bolt a look too.

In europe it is a Opel and i clearly can't drive a Opel.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Traditional car enthusiasts hate the Prius because [...] it accelerates at a glacial pace.

To understand where the MONSTER TORQUE E GOLF guy is coming from you have to consider that in Europe the Prius is a somewhat quick car.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Not really, 10s 0-60 is more like "not fast".

It's not fast but it is faster than average (at least here it is). 12s 0-60 is typical.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Lots of Uber drivers run on electric. With a decent range you don't need to recharge during a shift, and the per mile costs are a ton lower. With Tesla's if there is a supercharger around you are back on the street in 20-30 minutes and zero cost to you, remember.

Schiphol airport has a fleet of 167 Tesla Model S taxis. It seems to work out for them.
To keep with the "lol european cars slow" theme they have limited the Tesla's to a 21 second 0-60 time to increase range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Some of these people appear to have extended their appartments onto their balconies. I am going to guess they are not overly concerned about code violations.

• Locked thread