Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kronix
Jul 1, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Batteries as bodwork, anyone?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17014808

The problem is carbon fiber is a terrible terrible material for something that spends most of it's life on actual roads and not race tracks. Carbon fiber simply doesn't stand up to impacts and can be incredibly hard to repair.

It's not automotive but carbon fiber has made tremendous inroads in high end bicycles but anyone who owns one knows the deal. Take a good spill and that 3,000 frame is loving toast. You're not even supposed to try and ride after a crash until the thing's been inspected by a professional and repair is difficult to impossible in some cases. It's the same thing in the automotive world, carbon fiber is found everywhere money and durability aren't issues like on real race cars and exotics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

http://theunderstatement.com/post/18030062041/its-a-brick-tesla-motors-devastating-design

I wonder if insurance companies are going to have policies that cover accidental full battery discharge?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

ppp posted:

In that article it says that the batteries can last "weeks even months" without being plugged in, and then in the original article it says that it takes 11 weeks to discharge (assuming this means bricked). The only one that lists a specific time frame in the article says that it took 6 weeks to be bricked.

The whole thing is turning into a PR mess for Tesla. It sounds like they tried to get out in front of it but couldn't. I'm sure they'll figure it out but it's going to be a problem going forward for all electric cars.

Also keep in mind when responding to Colonel Sanders that he has a huge hard on for electric cars and isn't likely to admit anything is wrong with Tesla or electrics in general.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Bardlebee posted:

If the forums are to be believed, Tesla has reservations for 10k+ model S vehicles. They can only make 6k this year (reportedly) so its looking pretty good for them. I think a lot of buyers (me included) are waiting to see if the care does well before reserving. With any luck Tesla could have the Model S reservation line all the way through 2013.

Pretty exciting stuff to see.

I think the model S might be what does it for lots of people. An American company making a luxury electric has so much appeal it's not even funny. Cross your fingers they don't screw it up.

What makes me excited is that American companies are on the way to producing some of the most advanced and sought after cars in the world again, and that's something every North American can be happy about.

• Locked thread