Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

As a city pedestrian, I can't wait for the noisy diesel (or CNG) buses to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

How about those loving garbage trucks? Would it even be possible to replace the air brakes?

Garbage trucks are perfect candidates for electrification. Regular routes, regular stats on load requirements, slow speeds, lots of start/stop, early mornings, no nights so ample charging window.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Who could have thought ordering something as simple as a novel public transportation system from a rabid, flailing hype machine nation through a byzantine and corrupt procurement process would lead to somewhat suboptimal results.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of electric buses, London are getting 37 double deckers from BYD. https://insideevs.com/byd-adl-to-deliver-37-double-deckers-to-london/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's some Kona test vlogs. It can only charge at 70 kW. Suspected bottleneck is CCS 1.0 which is limited to 200A, even though the charger is supposed to be able to deliver 175 kW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdfXMdkUl9A&t=456s

318 mi real world range at <55 mph though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3OoZoUZBA

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

How often is anyone going to be driving over 250 miles in one day and staying under 55 mph? At least, apart from taxis/delivery trucks/other professional stuff.

Every real world range test comes with some pointless goalpost moving. How often is anyone going to be driving over 250 miles in one day, over 55 mph but refusing to charge along the way?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BitBasher posted:

The same way I drive from Vegas to LA and back 270 miles one way without getting gas on the trip? Or the same to and from Ely, NV at 243 miles? I do each a couple times a year, 75+ all the way.

Whatever, I was just phrasing the post identically for sarcastic effect. Or did Hyundai specifically promise you that your specific Vegas trip would be covered? The car can do 300 miles, like they said, in realistic conditions. Maybe not your exact specific American conditions, but they didn't promise that. It might do the 243 one though. But if you do buy an EV and do those trips, you won't irrationally insist on not charging along the way, just like you wouldn't be angry about filling along the way if you happened to start with a low tank.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BitBasher posted:

In fact, the entirety of Central Eastern Nevada is basically a giant hole.

Wow, you're not kidding.

Give it a few years I guess.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drgitlin posted:

it’s no more or less dishonest than having a car that does active noise cancellation of certain harmonics, or even someone who spends money on an exhaust that doesn’t really add any extra power.

Not sure if dishonest is the quality that irks me the most. It has the aesthetics of fake vents or exhaust pipes, but it's actively, loudly annoying you all the time while driving. It's like the car's engine noise is "shaaaaaaame on yooouuu, you suuuuuck".

But since...

drgitlin posted:

It’s an option you can turn on and off

...it's not a problem at all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

and a good exhaust isnt che..... wait what? Since when is THAT fake sound?)

That's not what he said. It adds fake power. People think loud cars are powerful because race cars don't have mufflers. In reality, a Nissan Micra with open headers sounds about as "good" as a Ferrari with a high dollar "performance" exhaust system. And the high dollar "performance" exhaust system is just as fast as the stock exhaust. It's the accompanying tune that adds power, while also making the car bust its emission compliance.

Besides, most performance cars these days have some form of sound modulation in the exhaust system where the quiet setting is for noise compliance and the loud setting is for literally no other reason than to provide a theatre of performance, since people stupidly think louder = faster. It would be just as fast on the quiet setting, if you could change only the sound setting but for the most part you change the fuel maps, boost settings, exhaust sound level etc all in one dramatic, theatrical "performance mode" selector. Fossil cars are filled with stupid, from bumper to bumper.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I’m sort of a Tesla apologist but dude... That’s one idiotic chart.

I'm probably even worse than you, but comparing absolute sales figures between a backlogged new release that's ramping up production vs decades old models that sell at a steady trickle is very stupid indeed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I’m not a car guy, what is the accepted definition of “luxury car”?

There is none. It's a free-for-all adjective you can use for all sorts of things such as upselling expensive cars you like, criticizing the wasteful habits of car owners you dislike or juggling with car categories to make statistics come out in your favor.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I know exactly what he said and it wasnt a point on "fake power".

quote:

or even someone who spends money on an exhaust that doesn’t really add any extra power.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's from Open Charge Map, perhaps it's totally wrong.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The UFOs had long range EV technology and that's why they were SILENCED.

Furthermore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zttC2x9nMEw

:allears:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I'm still trying to figure out the part at the beginning between the "here we spin the field windings onto a bobbin, and then sort of loosely drape them onto the stator" and "now here's one we made earlier!" where they're all nicely looped, wrapped, and tightly tucked in.

Yeah I wondered about that too. Dropping a bunch of copper wiring on the floor seems just like the non-deterministic thing that would make a Kuka-bot poo poo itself.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

has electrek ever not liked a Tesla decision

They didn't like that the next facelift, which they thought was the right thing to do, wasn't happening sooner.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I wish that were true but you never see it. People equate Musk and Tesla as the same entity. I wish he would quietly disappear and hand the reigns to a quiet, competent administrator. Then maybe people would finally shut up about him. People still buy Apple products long after Jobs has gone.

I agree. Whatever set of personality traits makes a successful entrepreneur seems to also make a terrible CEO.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One thing that might need adjusting in the pessimists' scenario is that QA issues aren't constant. It's not like it's in Tesla's eternal nature to build cars with constantly wide panel gaps. Model S buyers still run into QA issues, but the car is vastly improved from the 1st gen in both component sourcing and build. The Model 3 will improve similarly. One thing they seem to have embraced is to have as few option combinations as possible to streamline production.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

Is the chevy bolt any good? It kinda seemed more like, 'this is a car but it runs on electricity' and less of 'we are disrupting the transportation sector'. Or are the batteries poo poo or something?

It fell off the hype radar pretty quick, but yeah it's good. Get a test ride to see if you fit the narrow seats.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

No, what's even more GM is they have an additional small car that's called the Spark who's only electric attribute is the 12 volt system.

But similarly to the Ampera-E, the electric version is called the Spark EV.

[Electricity reference] [Electricity literal] is the standard naming convention apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

About the Tesla buyout, I wonder if it's Apple. Tesla at $420 is $70B, Apple has close to $300B in cash they don't know what to do with. And they have been wanting to get into the car business, but they put their own project on ice in 2016.

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 9, 2018

• Locked thread