Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'll say upfront that I know I'm not in the target demographic for EVs. In fact they would be Utterly useless. I can walk across town in < 10 minutes, and other towns with anything mine doesn't have are more or less out of range. But it doesn't stop me from thinking they are a good idea where public transport (HA!) which is generally a lot more efficient can't fill the gap.

I think the hybrids, or more the ones that are electric drive with a generator are interesting tech and have the capability to much better utilize fuel. Something like that would probably see a lot of use around here because the total lack of hills would make for long distance low consumption cruising.

Also if, and this is a big one, if they made them without 90% of the "LOOK AT ME I'M AN EV" ancilliary electronic bullshit, and made them more like a normal car than something out of a sci-fi movie inside they may be a lot less intimidating / oozing unwanted pretence than their fossil fuel burning cousins.

Also how awesome would a 4x4 hybrid be? It could crawl all day on a tank and have torque available when you want it. Plus if it were using wheel motors that could open up all sorts of interesting traction management options.

I hope what I said is right for this thread, as it's more speculation than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Kenshin posted:

I work one block from the Seattle Tesla dealership/mechanic shop and goddamn are you making the wrong choice. The Model S is so drat pretty. Such a beautiful sedan.

I will admit that the Fusion is a beautiful car in its own right. A buddy of mine just got a Fusion Hybrid in pale blue and it looks gorgeous.

Are you saying your business, or Ford? If it's the latter, go for broke. loving stupid cars.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Recently I saw a Holden somethingorother Hybrid. It's the first time I've seen a hybrid in person. Never seen a straight EV. Just thought I'd say because to me it was kind of exciting because i thought I'd never see one in the wild in Australia.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Maintaining a separate car for longer trips probably isn't an option for many people. It has to be stored, maintained still, purchased and registered / insured. That probably wouldn't be very popular at all over here in Australia, considering many of us probably pay $1000 a year to register a vehicle give or take. I'll just ignore the fact that I've never seen an EV recharge station ever as that pretty much nullifies everything anyway because where the hell could you recharge it besides home?,

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah - if I could pay X for the car (at a rate comparable or less than an equivalent gasoline car), and pay Y per month for the battery forever (including exchange / repair as needed), I would jump on it in a heartbeat as long as the battery cost + electrical cost came out to less than my typical fuel cost in a month.

That's true, plus it's also extremely subjective. That break even point is totally different depending on who you are. I imagine it'd be up around the higher mileage range of an EV that's used and charged daily.
But then I'm looking at a vehicle that gets worse mileage than my V8 on the highway, but the around town mileage is better to the point where the car would have at least earned its registration cost back (~1k) in a year and paid for itself totally in two. While that isn't relevant to this thread on its own the example is. Unless I'm mistaken EVs excel at around town driving especially in a street grid with constant stop starts. Around town my Ford gets about 25L/100km because of the stop start nature of intersections. That's utterly appalling. Especially when fuel is about $1.60/L. Now let's take an EV, with regen braking because I say so. That would cost SFA to drive all those short errand distances which I'm always doing but can't walk because I'm either short on time, need to take my kid(s)/whole family or need to carry something.
I just went to dig out the most recent electricity bill for $/kWh but it seems to have gone for a walk. Whoah the computer just had a fit and rebooted and I didn't lose a single character of this post!

• Locked thread