Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BonzoESC posted:

Oh yeah, the inverter noise. I was hoping it was something cool like the Fisker Karma:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_S8kc74Ed8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_S8kc74Ed8

All I can think of hearing this is the Hypnotoad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

sanchez posted:

It's a warning to let you know it's cold enough outside for there to be ice on the road, BMW does it every time the temp drops below 37f.

And every time it goes off I poo poo my pants because it beeps at me; my first thought is something horrible is going wrong, then I look down and see it's merely the car saying VORSICHT! ES IST KALT!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The issue here isn't who is right or wrong here (Tesla and the NYT will both come out of this with egg on their faces), but whether or not the Tesla represents a viable alternative to the conventional ICE-powered car. The answer to that is a resounding no. When you look at all the instructions Tesla gave that journalist to maximize his battery range (turn down the climate control, drive at 55 mph or less, enter a special mode to get the maximum potential out of the battery, preheat the car for a half an hour before driving it), it makes the resulting slapfight look utterly pointless. In a conventional car, you pretty much have none of these concerns, or they are so diminished that they're nearly irrelavent. Elon Musk is delusional if he thinks that his car is mature enough to break the status quo, and it sounds like he'd rather shout down anyone who says otherwise rather than address or even acknowledge the Tesla's shortcomings.

I'm not defending this journalist or the NYT for their conduct - what they did was unacceptable, no matter how you look at it. It's what they didn't lie about that concerns me most.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Brigdh posted:

I'm thinking the bolded part is bullshit. If I were to take a conventional vehicle on a road trip to test its maximum range, I drat well need to consider speed, operating temp, and accessory usage as well. Hell, if I went to a manufacturer saying I was going to do such a test, and how would they recommend I get the longest range, they'd probably give me as a long of a list as what Tesla gave. The only things electric cars are lagging behind on compared to gas powered cars are maximum range to a "tank" and the convenience of filling with gas (takes 10 minutes, available "everywhere").

I agree with you on some issues, but what I said isn't bullshit when you think about it. Sure, if you drive at 55 mph with the climate control off and your windows rolled up, you're going to get better fuel economy than if you drive at 80 mph with the heat/AC blasting and whatnot. Now here's the rub - no matter how you drive, there are severe limitations on a battery electric car that simply don't exist in an ICE car. For example, my fuel economy varies about 3 mpg from summer to winter; much of that is due to my winter tires, to be honest. Therefore, regardless of temperature, my expected range varies by about 55 miles, regardless if its -30 or +30.

Due to the chemical processes in a battery, range varies dramatically depending on temperature; even given ideal driving, the range of a BEV can drop by half (or more) if the temperature drops from 50F to 0F. It gets even worse if you run your defrost (which is a critical safety system in the winter), heated seats or other comfort features. Sure, it cost me a bit of fuel economy in my car, but it is nearly imperceptible compared to what it does in a BEV.

And your notion that BEVs are on par with ICE-powered cars is absurd; who in their right mind would want to suffer in a cold Canadian winter with no heat or defrost because the car disabled it to conserve its battery life (as it did in this test) when a normal car will (or at least should) produce abundant heat essentially for free (it was just going to be sent out the tailpipe or through the radiator anyway). Or better still, go to a Christmas party and find out that your car's range dropped below what you need to get it home the next day.

• Locked thread