Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

revmoo posted:

I thought pretty much every utility pole already has three phase power on it? There's three transmission lines on each pole, are those not the three phases?

EDIT: No I'm dumb, that would be +/-/N...right?

Your edit is correct (and describes the split-phase system used in North America for residential electric service). While all AC electric grids are 3-phase, not all of those 3 phases are necessarily brought out to every part of the network. In older parts of distribution systems, residential areas, and especially in older parts of distribution systems in residential areas (where no need for 3-phase was ever envisioned when the service was installed) you may only have single phase service available to the neighborhood step-down transformer so the best you can get is the common 240v split-phase service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

Honestly, this is pretty doubtful. The cells used in Teslas are already made in enormous quantities, it's not really something that's going to get that much cheaper due to volume. Also lol at whoever said battery technology develops rapidly. No, it doesn't, battery tech is notorious for being really slow compared to other tech.

You're right that battery technology develops more slowly than other technology but it is still experiencing exponential improvement. The prices for lithium ion batteries have fallen to 1/6th what they were when the Roadster went into production and are already below cost projections from that time for 2020. The Tesla Gigafactory alone will match the current world output of lithium battery cells and BYD (a Chinese EV manufacturer) is building another factory of similar scale. I don't see how the prices of lithium batteries won't drop significantly if the world supply of them triples. Current retail cost projections are for $200/kWh by 2020 and $100/kWh by 2030. At those prices a completely new market for batteries opens up in the form of (economically-viable) home-scale to grid-scale energy storage which should be able to soak up any excess battery capacity while the EV market matures.

Sources:
https://handlemanpost.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/cost-projections-for-lithium-ion-batteries/
http://cleantechnica.com/2014/10/13/battery-costs-may-drop-100kwh/
http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/forecast-2030--stored-electricity-at-005-kwh_100016581/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWSox7mLbyE

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 19, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

I doubt people will really be buying tens of thousands of dollars worth of batteries with a limited life span on the off chance of saving pennies by charging off-peak. Most companies with enough power usage to do that will probably just be running night shifts instead.

The key difference is when you add solar (or other distributed generation) to the mix. You charge your batteries with your solar panels during the day while you are at work and then draw them down in the evening. You could even recharge the batteries from the grid at night (taking advantage of time-of-day billing) if the forecast for the next day is cloudy. Grid + PV + battery storage will become substantially cheaper than using the grid alone for most retail electric customers within the next 20-30 years. And this isn't hypothetical: due to its isolation, climate, and lack of local fossil energy sources Hawaii is already at this tipping point and the local electric utility is freaking out.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

eeenmachine posted:

This was written recently and thought it would stimulate some discussion... :getin:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html

Wow, that is an amazing article! Very long but also very much worth the read. I had a sense of but had never really articulated or had seen articulated the importance of EVs for weaning us off carbon and subsequently the importance Tesla (and Musk in particular) in driving the development of EVs (tl;dr: the car companies were happy selling ICE vehicles and wouldn't even consider developing and selling EVs if someone wasn't forcing them to where that "someone" is a double-whammy of the state of California and (more importantly) consumer demand generated by the obvious superiority of Tesla's BEV powertrain over virtually any ICE powertrain). Also don't miss this referenced article which absolutely destroys the environmental arguments in favor of Fuel Cell EVs.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 7, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Argh, I hate replying to myself. Tesla just had their annual shareholder meeting. A few bits of information:
  • Model X launches in "3-4 months", will be "a better SUV than the Model S is a sedan" and will also be the "safest" SUV with 5-star crash test rating in all subcategories
  • Model 3 base model will have single motor standard with dual motor option
  • Autosteer will roll out to testers by end of month, full self-driving (with no driver interaction required, sleep while traveling) possible in 3 years (with regulatory approval expected to take another 3 years)
  • Battery swap station not very popular, only 3 or 4 of initial group of 200 testers have used it
  • Will be cracking down on Supercharger abuse (people who primarily use their local Superchargers instead of charging at home/work)
  • Powerwall output increased from 2kW continuous/3kW peak to 5kW continuous/7kW peak for same price (total capacities still 7kWh and 10kWh)
  • 80% of Telsa Energy battery storage sales will be commercial/utility
  • No immediate plans for additional Gigafactories, want to perfect first one before building new ones though demand higher than anticipated
  • No plans to take SpaceX public until they have "regular flights to Mars" :eek:
Additionally, NOLA.com has quoted Musk as saying the Model 3 base model will have a 250 mile range, though I don't think that's been officially confirmed yet.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 10, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

The Locator posted:

Radio, sure, but it's a bit extra. Typical car A/C is about a 4 horsepower draw, and in Arizona in summer that's a continuous load, so while it's small, it's still enough of a load that is seems it would be a factor when you are talking about 90 minutes of travel (each way).

Assuming your figure is correct we can figure out how much A/C impacts range. 4 HP = 3 kW so to run that for 1 hour is 3 kWh (makes sense, doesn't it? :v:). The Model S85 battery pack is 85 kWh which this document says has an available capacity of 67.4 kWh for normal driving. With that amount of charge you could run the A/C for 22.5 hours continously. Another way to look at it is how much range you use: the EPA says the S85 uses 38 kWh/100 mi or 380 Wh/mi. That means each hour of A/C use uses 7.9 miles of range.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Today Porsche announced a 300mi range sporty EV and Audi announced a 310mi SUV. I guess this EV thing is actually gonna happen.

That 300 mile quote is based on the European test cycle which is about 20-30% more generous than the EPA cycle so the real world range will probably be comparable to the 85 KWh Model S variants.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Ola posted:

That's a bigger outlet though, not the regular one you can plug your phone charger in, right? Almost 10 kW is serious juice. Over here, the grid is 230 by standard but you have to use an industrial plug for currents over 16A. Some get 3-phase 230 or 400 V in their garage if they have the dual charger and want to make use of it. 22 kW is pretty awesome charging speed to have at home, although I think I would be happy with 11 kW.

In North America 220 volt sockets are primarily used for high power appliances (furnaces, water heaters, ranges, air conditioners, clothes driers, arc welders, etc) so you can implicitly assume we are also referring to 20+ amp capacity sockets (you can get them up to 50 amps) when we refer to 220 volt sockets.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Blargh I hope it gets here to Nevada before end of May when my lease ends. Getting a Volt or a Leaf feels like settling for second best from what I've seen of the badly named Bolt so far. :smith:

According to this article the Bolt won't come to Nevada until September when it's rolled out nationally. It looks like your only (reasonable) option for getting one in May would be to buy in California. If you can borrow a car until July you could also get one in Arizona which might not be as far out of your way.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 28, 2017

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Doug DeMuro got his hands on a Model 3 to review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te6VqldjTT8

More details in his written article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Three Olives posted:

My dad just sent me this:

So conservatives hate electric cars because electricity costs $1.16 per kwh and premium mid size cars which are not electric cost more than economy sub-compact cars. Also we are going to crash the power grid because electric cars need to continuously draw 75 amps.

That one is definitely going around the old people circles since my grandpa, who doesn't normally send me those kinds of e-mails, forwarded it to me too.

• Locked thread