Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Advent Horizon posted:

Any word on any AWD electric cars in the pipeline?

Azure/Johnson Controls and AM General had an H3 Prototype 2-3 years ago that was an AWD EV, they were running it out in Moab for testing, and it went under the noses of the locals because it just looked like a standard H3.

Hummer collapsed, lawsuits happened and there was ton of politics before that because GM didn't want to use EV technology that didn't come from their own R+D.

So where did this technology go?

AM General's building the Ford Transit Electric connects now for taxi's and vans. That's not an AWD setup however.

A friend of mine was working on EV's based on military vehicles [a HMMWV and a MRAP] but there's no way to do it with current battery technology, so it's an AWD electric drivetrain with a diesel generator. One is the zero south hummer and the other is the osh kosh m-atv they raced down in Baja last season in the "M class"

Problem with an AWD vehicle, you got more mass and larger tires, so you need to overcome that.

I think the pumpable flow battery might be a good solution, take your EV's to a filling station, pump out the old electrolyte, then pump in new electrolyte and the station recharges the fluid. That would keep the current fuel station distribution method and infrastructure mostly intact and give urban drivers a place to charge [especially those who rent apartments and can't charge at home]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I can sorta see the condo boards point, it's a new amount of overhead that people will need to keep track of, so individual meters per spot I can see happening in the future... that being said...an nice alternative is to get a kill-a-watt plug in device and use that to monitor power usage and adjust billing for that. Or just charge a flat rate based on the worse case scenario [$50/mo of extra power rent] and turn it into a profit point for the board, the condo board is being really short sighted about that...

I'm kinda worried about one thing though, how is road tax / fuel tax is going to change in the future... as more people move off the grid, the taxation system isn't really setup to track mileage with the exception of truckers [IFTA].

There's a coworker here who got in on a early lease program for an electric BMW and was posting pictures of her charging station that was installed, and she converted her home to solar so shes more or less off the grid.

Problem is she isn't paying road use tax in the traditional sense... so what happens now?

I'm fine with taxation by mile, but they got to pick one system, either fuel tax or mileage but knowing the government they'll pick both.

/edit

I'm not calling for one, at least at this time until we get more EV's on the road first...

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 27, 2012

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

My boss just a Tesla S delivered at work, sharp car..

• Locked thread