Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Frozen-Solid posted:

I found my first MAJOR complaint with the Prime, and I'm not even sure if it's something I should even be complaining about but holy gently caress this bugs me.

I can't charge the Prime via USB on my laptop. I don't know why, it just doesn't charge. I plug it in, and see no charging icon. I also tried charging it in my car using a car plug -> USB jack and it didn't work. THEN I got out my mini power inverter, plugged the USB cable into the wall jack, then plugged that into the inverter, and that actually works. I even tried plugging my Kindle's wall jack USB box thing, and that won't charge the Prime either. There's got to be something special about that stupid ASUS power box, which is really loving stupid.

You can only trickle charge the Prime through a USB port when the tablet is completely off I believe. May just be sleep mode though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

koshmar posted:

So I just got my Prime and I'm enjoying it so far. Can anyone who has gotten a Prime case recommend one. Also what games/emulators are you running. I've been working to get Baldurs Gate 2 up and running with Gemrb. I was wondering if there were any market games worth my time.

You should definitely check out the Android game thread as there are definitely some market games worth checking out. The current obsession over there is Dungeon Raid, won't show of the tab let's horse power but it will turn your poops into hour long affairs.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

koshmar posted:

So I just got my Prime and I'm enjoying it so far. Can anyone who has gotten a Prime case recommend one. Also what games/emulators are you running. I've been working to get Baldurs Gate 2 up and running with Gemrb. I was wondering if there were any market games worth my time.

I played the entire Quest for Glory series on Andosbox this summer. It works pretty well, though using the mouse takes a little getting used to.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

koshmar posted:

App questions should go to the app thread.

My case hasn't arrived yet, but I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LSCCPG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Don Lapre posted:

The prime uses a stupid 15v charger instead of a 5v like most USB devices.

Same with the OG Transformer. It'll do 5v for everything else, so the $29.99 is well worth it for the spare.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Don Lapre posted:

The prime uses a stupid 15v charger instead of a 5v like most USB devices.

I actually don't mind higher voltage since the thing charges from 1-100 in 3 hours. At a ratio of 3 hours charging to 8-10 hours of use, that's pretty decent. People complain about the non standard cable, but that's the tradeoff, 3x the charging time @ 5v on microusb to stay in spec, or cut down drastically but have to do it in a proprietary cable.

I think I sold a friend on an android tablet when he was able to watch the bruins/ranger game live/fullscreen on one those flash streaming rebroadcaster sites while we were in the field on a job.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 22, 2012

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

koshmar posted:

I got this case cause it seemed to be the thinnest and looks like its made well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063Q3G3I/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I also here a bunch about a Poetic case, but it didn't seem to be made as well too me, though it I'd cheaper.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

zer0spunk posted:

I actually don't mind higher voltage since the thing charges from 1-100 in 3 hours. At a ratio of 3 hours charging to 8-10 hours of use, that's pretty decent. People complain about the non standard cable, but that's the tradeoff, 3x the charging time @ 5v on microusb to stay in spec, or cut down drastically but have to do it in a proprietary cable.

I think I sold a friend on an android tablet when he was able to watch the bruins/ranger game live/fullscreen on one those flash streaming rebroadcaster sites while we were in the field on a job.

USB @ 5v is able to charge just as fast though. Like ios devices using 2.1a @ 5v. You can still charge off regular usb chargers at different speeds.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

zer0spunk posted:

Those aren't the only two options. You can have a standard USB-plug cable do 500mA @ 5V when plugged into a USB host, then much more amperage at 5V when plugged into a wall. Lots of computers now even support more than 500mA over USB now as well.

edit: Beaten.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Is there actually going to be a usable version of ICS from Cyanogen Mod for the Nook Color any time soon?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Apple's marketing is clear, the assorted Android adverts are less so, and information is even more opaque due to the manufacturers trying to differentiate themselves. Televisions have the same problem. Take the 240hz refresh rate feature that's standard on most premium LCD panels. It's called AutoMotion Plus on my Samsung, and my Sony has two features called Motionflow and Cinemotion, and I don't even remember what the difference between those two are. Some people on AVSForum called Sony to ask, and they had to contact the TV engineers because they didn't know either.

Man, that's crazy that the people on the phone didn't know. Maaaany years ago (when there was still one here in SF), I worked at Sony Style and still remember what both are for:

MotionFlow = The stupid name given to Sony's 120/240Hz modes.
Cinemotion = The stupid name given to Sony's reverse 3:2 pulldown interpolation. This was actually in TVs before MotionFlow stuff, as some of the bigger projection TVs and the tube HDTVs would use it.

Sony is really, really bad about branding the most mundane feature with a stupid name. Maybe it was all those years of having to memorize all those dumb InterCapped names that made it stick.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Doghouse posted:

Is there actually going to be a usable version of ICS from Cyanogen Mod for the Nook Color any time soon?

No one knows.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

koshmar posted:

Frozen-Solid posted:

App questions should go to the app thread.

My case hasn't arrived yet, but I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LSCCPG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details
I bought essentailly the exact same case, but made by Poetic

I bought this case earlier when it was just $10 shipped, but now the price is $10 plus shipping which I still think is still a great price.

Pros:
-Nice quality hard leather cover
-Magnets to hold cover shut
-Very sturdy stand
-Big clear cutouts for cameras AND speaker grill
-Soft velvety interior
-Easy to access all ports and buttons

Cons:
-Interior of case is dust magnet
-No way to stand in portrait mode
-Only available in black
-Can't charge while case is closed

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

randyest posted:

Those aren't the only two options. You can have a standard USB-plug cable do 500mA @ 5V when plugged into a USB host, then much more amperage at 5V when plugged into a wall. Lots of computers now even support more than 500mA over USB now as well.

edit: Beaten.

Ah, see I thought it was pulling 15v over 2.1 A, but it's actually drawing it over 1.2A, it's still variable and does 5-15v 1.2-2.1a so it functions like any other wall wart..weird. I wonder if there's a specific reason for the larger voltage/smaller amperage...

what's the ipad charge time at 5v 2.1a?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

zer0spunk posted:

A few hours.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

zer0spunk posted:

Ah, see I thought it was pulling 15v over 2.1 A, but it's actually drawing it over 1.2A, it's still variable and does 5-15v 1.2-2.1a so it functions like any other wall wart..weird. I wonder if there's a specific reason for the larger voltage/smaller amperage...

iPad2 charges 0-100% in ~3.5 hours (6930mAh battery capacity / 2100mA = ~3.3Hrs at 100% efficiency, actual efficiency is ~95%)

Higher-voltage LDO's are cheaper and have less IR^2 loss over longer cables than low-voltage switching regulators, but tend to be less efficient. I'd assume the former consideration plays a larger role in the case of relatively short tablet power cords.

Here try this http://www.csgnetwork.com/batterychg2calc.html

randyest fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 23, 2012

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Thanks for all the case replies. I need something soon it would be great to prop it up to watch Netflix, read recipes etc..

Lobster Maneuver
Jan 4, 2005

All heart and all thumbs
I used to have a rooted Nook Color running CM7 that got stolen from me. I'd like to replace it with another 7 inch android tablet. Performance-wise the most I would plan on doing is youtube or watching movies - I was perfectly happy with how the Nook Color performed in that category, to give a reference point. Price-wise I'd like to keep it under $200 or so, especially since I got the nook refurbed for $130. Has anything else come out recently that competes in the budget 7 inch category? Or should I just get another nook color?

Crash74
May 11, 2009
The power cord that comes with the galaxy is god awful, at only 3' long I can never use it while it is charging and the silly usb power block drops out of the socket. Has anyone found a good alternative with a cord with 6' or so? A real plug on the end would help to.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doghouse posted:

I'm running it on my NC. It works great, although the wifi SOD thing is back. There's an XDA thread in the NC Dec section with unofficial night lies. They also have a fixed GApps since there's some problems with the official gapps that are around.

I've been using it for two weeks as a daily driver and find no issues with it. The only bugs are HD videos on Youtube dont work and the SOD thing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How is the Nook Color as a rooted tablet? I'm most interested in reading comics/Kindle books, as well as playing some games and so on. I looked at the Kindle Fire but I wasn't happy with the size of the screen.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Gyshall posted:

How is the Nook Color as a rooted tablet? I'm most interested in reading comics/Kindle books, as well as playing some games and so on. I looked at the Kindle Fire but I wasn't happy with the size of the screen.

I love mine like nobodies business but don't they have the same screen size? They run really well and while they have a couple of issues it's nothing o would consider a deal breaker. I haven't even experienced SOD since I got rid of Beautiful Widgets.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How well do they do graphics? In particular, I want to run GemRB:

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.sourceforge.gemrb&hl=en

Buy.com has them pretty loving cheap right now, refurbished:

http://www.buy.com/prod/nook-color-by-barnes-noble-wifi-ereader/q/loc/111/listingid/140072914/221376447.html

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Gyshall posted:

If you're reading comics, you may want to consider a 10 inch screen even though it'll mean a higher cost (maybe the old Transformer). I've got a Transformer Prime, the comic pages scale down perfectly to it's screen as seen below; however if they got to a 7 inch screen, I think a lot of text would become unreadable, and you'd be forced to scroll around each page.

Lastly, in terms of apps, I'd check out Comic Rack in the Android market. It's great and even supports wireless syncing to your PC.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That looks like a sweet app. May have to try it out. I've been using Komik with no complaints, but it's much less feature filled.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.komik.free

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks, McLarenF1, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I use Comic Rack on my PCs and it is great - I'm sure the Android app is similar.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Crash74 posted:

The power cord that comes with the galaxy is god awful, at only 3' long I can never use it while it is charging and the silly usb power block drops out of the socket. Has anyone found a good alternative with a cord with 6' or so? A real plug on the end would help to.

Assuming you mean what I think you mean, can't you just use a USB extension cord? There's nothing magic about the Galaxy power/USB cords, it's still just four wires wrapped in rubber.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
So... is this thread specifically for android tablets or are those of us with windows based tablets allowed in here as well?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

nickhimself posted:

So... is this thread specifically for android tablets or are those of us with windows based tablets allowed in here as well?

You're allowed in here sure, we'll just mock you relentlessly.

We have to make ourselves feel better somehow :(

(I know there has been talk of an Android specific tablet thread so I assume this is the result of those talks. I'm not really sure where that leaves the WebOS and Windows peeps though.)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

For what it's worth, apparently the Nook Tablet bootloader got cracked, so CM looks to be a real possibility. Not that I'd recommend it RIGHT now if you need a 7" tablet. But of course, there's at least 2 $249 7" tablets due soon with Tegra 3 hardware (and no need for custom roms), so waiting seems like the best option.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Swype is pretty busted on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the browser app. Anyone know if it's easy to sideload a newer beta APK or something like that? The Swype beta site says not to do it but I wonder if that's just liability / support issues and it will work just fine.

Is there any decent list of tablet optimized apps? I know some Android forum had a list a while back, but I'm wondering if there's a better way now.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Codiusprime posted:

(I know there has been talk of an Android specific tablet thread so I assume this is the result of those talks. I'm not really sure where that leaves the WebOS and Windows peeps though.)

This is Android-only now since the old thread was almost entirely Android. There's a WebOS thread for all WebOS discussion (not hacked Touchpads running CM7/9).

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

E2M2 posted:

Best Buy is selling the Acer A200 for $350:

http://phandroid.com/2012/01/20/best-buy-now-stocking-the-acer-iconia-a200-for-349/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer%20...ID=s9644iwo7itl

10" Android tablets down to $350 is a nice price point. Got my A500 for $275 locally but for a retail price this is pretty good.
Any reviews or recommendations on this one? I've got an employee discount to use on a tablet and this is one I've been looking at. Is there anything else to watch for in the next month or so?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Captain Cool posted:

Any reviews or recommendations on this one? I've got an employee discount to use on a tablet and this is one I've been looking at. Is there anything else to watch for in the next month or so?

The major problem with Tegra 2 is that it doesn't play HD content that well.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

:siren: Newegg just added Transformer Prime stock, including Champagne docks :siren:

Edit: direct links

Gray Transformer Prime
Gray Transformer Prime Dock
Champagne Transformer Prime
Champagne Transformer Prime Dock

Rastor fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 24, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Out of stock....

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

El_Matarife posted:

Swype is pretty busted on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the browser app. Anyone know if it's easy to sideload a newer beta APK or something like that? The Swype beta site says not to do it but I wonder if that's just liability / support issues and it will work just fine.

Is there any decent list of tablet optimized apps? I know some Android forum had a list a while back, but I'm wondering if there's a better way now.

This swype bug drives me crazy, I thought I was fat fingering things for a whole day.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

El_Matarife posted:

It's possible to side-load Swype over the top of a built in Swype, but it kind of depends on the specific tablet/phone. At least on the Atrix you had to delete multiple files as root, reboot the phone, then install the Swype Beta like you normally would. Browse the Swype forums a bit and see if you can find anything on the Galaxy Tab.

It's easy enough to restore too, as long as you backup the files you removed to put back into their proper places.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I see a light at the end of the tunnel! The Transformer Prime Keyboard Dock in Champagne Gold was for sale for probably all of 60 seconds at NewEgg.com!

Yay, another waiting list to be on! Exclamation point! :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

McLarenF1 posted:

If you're reading comics, you may want to consider a 10 inch screen even though it'll mean a higher cost (maybe the old Transformer). I've got a Transformer Prime, the comic pages scale down perfectly to it's screen as seen below; however if they got to a 7 inch screen, I think a lot of text would become unreadable, and you'd be forced to scroll around each page.

Lastly, in terms of apps, I'd check out Comic Rack in the Android market. It's great and even supports wireless syncing to your PC.

How does it compare to Perfect Viewer?