Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

E2M2 posted:

How does it compare to Perfect Viewer?
I've never used Perfect Viewer, but from the threads I've read on XDA, Comic Rack looks to one of the favorites, but it may lag a little on page turns for some older slower tablets, but it seems perfect on my Prime, and from the threads, pretty good on the Kindle Fire too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
With the Primes in stock all of a sudden lately, I might make the jump but I'm really nervous between it and an iPad.

Is there any way I can browse the (web) Market or something to see what kind of apps are designed for the tablet? My mother owns an iPad and given how long it took some apps like friggin' Facebook to build a native/optimized app for that machine, I'm afraid the tiny minority of Android tablets are probably ignored by developers.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Craptacular! posted:

Is there any way I can browse the (web) Market or something to see what kind of apps are designed for the tablet?

https://market.android.com/

The way android handles phone apps on a tablet is MUCH better than the iPad. It doesn't just scale the entire "phone" window to fill the tablet screen. It actually resizes individual elements, feeling much more like maximizing an app in windows than scaling the entire thing to be huge.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Gyshall posted:

How is the Nook Color as a rooted tablet? I'm most interested in reading comics/Kindle books, as well as playing some games and so on. I looked at the Kindle Fire but I wasn't happy with the size of the screen.

If you just want a cheap 10" reader, I picked up a Le Pan TC 970 for $170 on sale at amazon.ca. Its specs are similar to the Nook Color and it's a 2.2 tablet as well. However its screen is an IPS panel with the same part number as the iPad 1 screen.

CM7/9 is being actively ported to it and some people have figured out how to sign ROMs for the device so hopefully it's just a matter of time now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1399693

Here's some more detailed information about the tablet.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-le-pan-tc-970-9-7-inch-android-tablet-200-a-1087251/

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Here's an example of how phone apps not optimized for a tablet run. There are 2 options, "Stretch to fill screen" and "Zoom to fill screen"

Stretch to fill screen is the default. Here's Bacon Reader on that mode:

Then there's the zoom to fill screen, which is what the iPad does:

While the screen space in "stretch" mode could be spent better on a tablet, it doesn't feel out of place like the zoom mode does.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Craptacular! posted:

With the Primes in stock all of a sudden lately, I might make the jump but I'm really nervous between it and an iPad.

Is there any way I can browse the (web) Market or something to see what kind of apps are designed for the tablet? My mother owns an iPad and given how long it took some apps like friggin' Facebook to build a native/optimized app for that machine, I'm afraid the tiny minority of Android tablets are probably ignored by developers.

There aren't a remarkable number of dedicated Android tablet apps. Most normal android apps automatically scale up and still look pretty good, with the exception of apps that use a lot of graphics in their UI (as those graphics can't be scaled up.. only zoomed in etc. Apps ported over from iphone are notorious for this). This is a list of featured tablet apps, but other than that, I am not sure if there is a way to filter to only tablet-specific apps.

To Prime owners:
So now that winter break has ended for a lot of colleges, has anyone with a Prime gotten any in-class or school related work done on it? Any preferred office apps? My professors often put their presentations on a networked drive that is accessible to all computers connected to the network, however, ES file explorer doesn't seem to be able to connect to them (and actually, on that note, what's the best app for viewing pptx files?)

I personally haven't found much school use for it aside from reading between classes. I imagine it would be more useful if I had a dock for it, but ASUS seems to be allergic to money or something. But anyway, that's why I'm asking. I want to know if the keyboard dock is a significant improvement (especially for productivity), because as it stands now, I'm thinking of just selling it and putting that money toward an Ultrabook or Macbook Air.

It's also worth noting that now that I am using it on campus, I am starting to run into trouble with its wifi reception. It worked fine in my house, but it often has poor reception or total signal loss on the campus WLAN, in areas where my Nexus or Powerbook G4 (don't laugh, its been good to me aside from all the nut burning) will have a good signal.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
I would say the keyboard dock really changes things. It goes from a media consumption-only device, to one that you could easily type out notes or write a paper. Think about using supernote for class with a keyboard. You can type notes and then draw an equation right there in your notes.

The dock is real slick, but the wifi reception might be more of a deal breaker for you.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ericadia posted:

To Prime owners:
So now that winter break has ended for a lot of colleges, has anyone with a Prime gotten any in-class or school related work done on it? Any preferred office apps? My professors often put their presentations on a networked drive that is accessible to all computers connected to the network, however, ES file explorer doesn't seem to be able to connect to them (and actually, on that note, what's the best app for viewing pptx files?

It's also worth noting that now that I am using it on campus, I am starting to run into trouble with its wifi reception. It worked fine in my house, but it often has poor reception or total signal loss on the campus WLAN, in areas where my Nexus or Powerbook G4 (don't laugh, its been good to me aside from all the nut burning) will have a good signal.
I haven't had the chance to use it for any classes yet, but I plan to when I get the keyboard dock. I am using OfficeSuite Pro which I got from Amazon as one of their daily free apps. Its normally $10, but it supports opening and saving docx and xlsx formats. I'm not sure about PP though.

All of my classes have zero wifi, in fact I'm the only who brings a laptop to class. I find I can type my notes faster and organize them neatly better than I can writing. Right now I'm in the cafeteria eating breakfast and have excellent reception and speed.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 24, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mantle posted:

If you just want a cheap 10" reader, I picked up a Le Pan TC 970 for $170 on sale at amazon.ca. Its specs are similar to the Nook Color and it's a 2.2 tablet as well. However its screen is an IPS panel with the same part number as the iPad 1 screen.

CM7/9 is being actively ported to it and some people have figured out how to sign ROMs for the device so hopefully it's just a matter of time now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1399693

Here's some more detailed information about the tablet.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-le-pan-tc-970-9-7-inch-android-tablet-200-a-1087251/

I like this idea - one of the biggest things for me though is that I want Cyanogenmod support for the tablet. It seems that Android tablets are a case of having your cake or eating it - not both. Or dropping a ton of money on one.

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

https://market.android.com/

The way android handles phone apps on a tablet is MUCH better than the iPad. It doesn't just scale the entire "phone" window to fill the tablet screen. It actually resizes individual elements, feeling much more like maximizing an app in windows than scaling the entire thing to be huge.

Not sure I'm getting this. You say that Android automatically resizes individual UI elements, but in the first example you posted the UI elements (buttons, icons and so on) look phone-sized. There's so much blank space in there, it looks terrible. I'll agree that the way iPad resizes phone apps isn't much better, but then again you have like 180 000 universal or iPad-only apps to choose from, there's very rarely any reason to use a phone app in 2X mode.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I'm not sure how well Google Docs works on the Prime but you should try that out, with a few of your classmates. Last semester in grad school, specifically in my business law class, we all shared one google doc and typed notes in it at the same time. It was a little hectic at first with 5 of us, but we soon found our groove and found it much more efficient than taking notes individually. And a side note, use the same google doc the whole semester, it gets annoying to share and reference multiple docs per class all semester long.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Vaporware posted:

This swype bug drives me crazy, I thought I was fat fingering things for a whole day.

The only good news is that Opera and Firefox work just fine. The bad news is that Swype is pointing fingers at Samsung and god knows when they will fix it.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

draize_train posted:

Not sure I'm getting this. You say that Android automatically resizes individual UI elements, but in the first example you posted the UI elements (buttons, icons and so on) look phone-sized. There's so much blank space in there, it looks terrible.

UI elements are actually pretty good sized. They're the same size as a tablet-optimized app's icons would be. BaconReader is pretty much the worst app I have as far as going from phone to tablet, which is why I chose it for an example. Normal tablet icons are like the 4 icons on the bottom left of the pictures. As you can see the new post and messages icons in the top right of the first picture are the exact same size by comparison. They're scaled properly with the tablet, the fonts are proper sized for reading on a tablet, and you can see a LOT more items than you can on a phone.

In the second picture, the two icons in the top right 3x the size of a normal tablet icon button, fonts are blurry, and you can only see 3 items. The entire app window is scaled up to be HUGE rather than having elements scale and stretch intelligently to fill the space better.

MOST of my apps are properly designed for use on a tablet. Even my crappy IRC app is designed for use on a tablet. Look at the Awful app on the market for examples of how an app can look when designed for a tablet on Android. It's one apk that looks amazing on a phone as well as on a tablet. The only ones that don't are social networking apps, like Facebook, Baconreader, and Tweetdeck, but I'll take how those run on the Android to how non-iPad apps run on the iPad any day.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Frozen-Solid posted:

Here's an example of how phone apps not optimized for a tablet run. There are 2 options, "Stretch to fill screen" and "Zoom to fill screen"

While the screen space in "stretch" mode could be spent better on a tablet, it doesn't feel out of place like the zoom mode does.

In every single app I've used on my tablet which gave me this option, stretch looked so much better than zoom. Granted I'm using a TouchPad so the resolution is only 1024x768 instead of the standard 1280x800, but I can't imagine ever zooming apps instead of stretching.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

letsgoflyers81 posted:

In every single app I've used on my tablet which gave me this option, stretch looked so much better than zoom. Granted I'm using a TouchPad so the resolution is only 1024x768 instead of the standard 1280x800, but I can't imagine ever zooming apps instead of stretching.

Definitely Zoom is terrible. I love the stretch option, and unless it's a really light single column app like baconreader or tweetdeck it makes most apps feel right at home on the tablet.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ericadia posted:

There aren't a remarkable number of dedicated Android tablet apps. Most normal android apps automatically scale up and still look pretty good, with the exception of apps that use a lot of graphics in their UI (as those graphics can't be scaled up.. only zoomed in etc. Apps ported over from iphone are notorious for this). This is a list of featured tablet apps, but other than that, I am not sure if there is a way to filter to only tablet-specific apps.

draize_train posted:

I'll agree that the way iPad resizes phone apps isn't much better, but then again you have like 180 000 universal or iPad-only apps to choose from

Oh it's this discussion again.

Directories / sources of tablet-optimized apps on Android:

Android Market featured apps for tablets

tablified.com

Android Police weekly best new apps roundup (they often do an edition focused on tablet apps)

And several user-edited lists/indexes from the various Android forums:
transformerforums.com
androidtablets.net
androidcentral.com
androidforums.com

I hereby grant permission to add this info to the OP.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
About the only app that I've seen zoomed personally is the speedtest app. In zoom mode I can't even see the whole interface for the app.

On an unrelated note, I had a small problem with my prime earlier. I use Thumb Keyboard 4 and at the left shift key and ?123 key the screen went completely unresponsive. I had to reboot the device to get it to work.

Something I don't like so far is that the status bar doesn't go away when I am typing. I keep accidentally pressing the keyboard icon when reaching for the right space bar. This happens with any touch keyboard I use.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I want to try out another tablet (currently have a Xoom, not satisfied with size/weight).

I'm torn between the Samsung 7" and the Samsung 8.9". What would you guys recommend? I use it for a little bit of everything.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SlayVus posted:

Out of stock....

Reportedly tiger direct filled their preorders and are now showing in stock...

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

wandler20 posted:

I want to try out another tablet (currently have a Xoom, not satisfied with size/weight).

I'm torn between the Samsung 7" and the Samsung 8.9". What would you guys recommend? I use it for a little bit of everything.

Go to Best Buy or another store that has floor models you can play with. I've spent time with my brother's 7 inch Nook Color, my 10 inch iPad 2 and TouchPad, and I've played with a Galaxy Tab 8.9. Of all of the sizes, the 8.9 felt the best to me. Big enough for watching video but smaller and lighter and less unwieldy. But with anything else, it's subjective so check them out and go with what feels best to you.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Go to Best Buy or another store that has floor models you can play with. I've spent time with my brother's 7 inch Nook Color, my 10 inch iPad 2 and TouchPad, and I've played with a Galaxy Tab 8.9. Of all of the sizes, the 8.9 felt the best to me. Big enough for watching video but smaller and lighter and less unwieldy. But with anything else, it's subjective so check them out and go with what feels best to you.

The problem for me is I'm 100 miles from a Best Buy/place that carries either. I'll probably just order the 8.9" and if I don't like it I can send it back.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

wandler20 posted:

The problem for me is I'm 100 miles from a Best Buy/place that carries either. I'll probably just order the 8.9" and if I don't like it I can send it back.

Gotcha. What I can say is that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is thinner and lighter than what you're used to with the Xoom. So just scale that down a little more to 9 inches and there's the 8.9. The one thing to keep in mind is that it's a dual core Tegra 2 and the quad core Tegra 3 tablets are starting to come out. But if size is the main determining factor, I'd go with the Tab 8.9.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

ASUS just posted the Transformer Prime bootloader unlock tool is coming in February.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Gotcha. What I can say is that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is thinner and lighter than what you're used to with the Xoom. So just scale that down a little more to 9 inches and there's the 8.9. The one thing to keep in mind is that it's a dual core Tegra 2 and the quad core Tegra 3 tablets are starting to come out. But if size is the main determining factor, I'd go with the Tab 8.9.

What Tegra 3 tablets are available now or just around the corner? No real hurry for me to change but I don't want to wait months. I really like the sounds of that 7" Asus but I seriously doubt we see that any time soon.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
So yeah. Used to have an iPad, but didn't use it too terribly much. I think that's just because I've been using an Android phone and am used to Android UI these days. So, given that, I've been thinking about jumping back on the tablet bandwagon. I'm looking at the Transformer Prime in particular. My question, though -- I have a laptop for portable computing, so I don't need the keyboard dock for the transformer prime. I'm just interested for the aspects of a tablet -- basically, media consumption, video watching, the growing gaming market, etc. Primarily for travel on a plane (I don't like getting a laptop out on a plane). I'm also considering jumping into programming for Android OS and such, and would like to have a tablet to work with alongside a phone (Galaxy Nexus, currently). I have been waiting for Tegra 3 to hit before I considered jumping back on -- and the Prime seems like the right price and right tablet for me. I considered waiting on the 7 inch memo, but am pretty sure some major corners will be cut for it.

So, given that, is the Prime worth getting if I don't plan to get the keyboard dock? Or is it only really worthwhile if you really want the dock and tablet experience?

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 24, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

What Tegra 3 tablets are available now or just around the corner? No real hurry for me to change but I don't want to wait months. I really like the sounds of that 7" Asus but I seriously doubt we see that any time soon.
You can order a 10.1" Transformer Prime right now.

Rough guess, maybe 4-6 months for the 7" and add 1-2 more months for the Transformer 700 series (ultra-res screen). But those are just my poorly educated guesses.

MrMoose posted:

is the Prime worth getting if I don't plan to get the keyboard dock?
It's an iPad 2 that's thinner, lighter, faster, and runs Android apps instead of iOS apps.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rastor posted:

It's an iPad 2 that's thinner, lighter, faster, and runs Android apps instead of iOS apps.

It's also 1280x800 which is 16:10 instead of 1024x768 which is 4:3 and not as good for watching widescreen video.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Took the plunge on the Samsung 8.9. Should tide me over for a while. I should be able to recoup some money when I get my Xoom back from Verizon.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Frozen-Solid posted:

For every baconreader there's about 10 Skypes:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

MrMoose posted:

So, given that, is the Prime worth getting if I don't plan to get the keyboard dock? Or is it only really worthwhile if you really want the dock and tablet experience?

I don't have a keyboard dock, and probably won't get one. The prime is an amazing tablet for tablet gaming, HD movie watching (I literally copied a raw 720p mkv file without making any changes to it to the sdcard and it plays perfectly), ebook reading, etc.

It's a great tablet, unless you want a tablet that does GPS.

Nut Bunnies posted:

For every baconreader there's about 10 Skypes:

Still looks better than an app not optimized for a tablet on the iOS would look.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Frozen-Solid posted:

Still looks better than an app not optimized for a tablet on the iOS would look.

True but there probably is a tablet-optimised version for iOS.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
So, I got in and saw someone buying a transformer prime, and couldn't find them on the shelves. Figured they were out, but I asked anyways. There was one left, so the "MUST GET" in me jumped on that. I now own a transformer prime...

with no case. So time to check the thread for the cases others have bought. Hopefully I can find one that works.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MrMoose posted:

So, I got in and saw someone buying a transformer prime, and couldn't find them on the shelves. Figured they were out, but I asked anyways. There was one left, so the "MUST GET" in me jumped on that. I now own a transformer prime...

with no case. So time to check the thread for the cases others have bought. Hopefully I can find one that works.

I don't travel enough with a Tablet to need a case with my transformer. And when I do i keep it in my laptop bag. Just two cents on the other side of cases, why get a case for something if you mostly use it at home?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't travel enough with a Tablet to need a case with my transformer. And when I do i keep it in my laptop bag. Just two cents on the other side of cases, why get a case for something if you mostly use it at home?

I bought a case because I was afraid of scratching the screen if I lay it face down, and afraid of dropping something on it if I lay it face up. Also the case acts as a stand which I use frequently.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Duckman2008 posted:

Because there will be points where I am travelling for work and want to bring it with me. Additionally, I carry my laptop in a SwissGear backpack, and there's nothing there that would keep it from getting scratched. I'm horribly paranoid of scratches :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MrMoose posted:

Because there will be points where I am travelling for work and want to bring it with me. Additionally, I carry my laptop in a SwissGear backpack, and there's nothing there that would keep it from getting scratched. I'm horribly paranoid of scratches :(

Personally, I hardly ever carry the dock with my OG Transformer. I just throw it in my bag with it's screen against a book and back toward the outside in case I bump into anything. I'm not particularly careful with it and haven't gotten a scratch in the eight months that I've owned.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 25, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How about a netbook sleeve?

Gish
Oct 18, 2000
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
Any Canadian prime owners find a good source for cases? All the cool ones on Amazon (Like the good looking Moko) won't ship to the great white north.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Is there any word about the Prime getting an updated back panel, or is that going to be exclusive to the TF700?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
Wireless Trip Report:

I took my Prime with me to the local hospital today while I waiting on my husband. I hooked both my phone and prime to the free WiFi. I had 3 bars on both. I had no with problems the signal anywhere. Looks like it might not be as bad as feared.

Fake Edit:

I got the Blurex from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/BLUREX-Leather-folio-Multi-Angle-Transformer/dp/B006VX96GO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327518671&sr=8-1
I do not recall paying that much for it.

I also picked up a Just AIR case to use for the Prime + keyboard dock http://www.amazon.com/Just-Air-Case-Ipad-Pink/dp/B005GOINLS/ref=pd_vtp_e_1

I got it at Staples for 1/2 price. I picked an extra black one if anyone is interested.

Nannypea fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 25, 2012