Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I feel like in the $100 range the Fire devices are the go to right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I randomly saw an ONN 8" tablet last year on a clearance shelf for $29. Thought well, this sounds like fun for thirty bucks. It is the slowest gd thing I've ever owned. You can't even scroll since it stutters then inertia keeps it going. If you scroll a web page, for example, it will lag and the instant you remove your finger, it hauls rear end like it's catching up but too much. The problem is it has some janky MediaTek processor and 2 gifs gigs of RAM. I use it to display my outside cameras, which is about all it's good for.

The thing I always felt was funny is the build they used. The settings says "finish setting up your Pixel" and there are traces of Verizon builds. I think they took the stock Verizon Pixel image and flashed it onto anemic hardware.. Cannot root it and the recovery screen looks very shady (all Chinese text). Ironically enough, the ONN Android TV I got for $19 is pretty great. I'm sure their higher end tablets are fine, but man when they are low-spec, run don't walk away.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 24, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got a Samsung A7 (or whatever, I forget) for like $150 a few years ago and it was pretty slow/janky too and I was sorta disappointed. Then I put lineageOS on it and it became infinitely smoother/faster and much less demanding on system resources. Even scrolling through poo poo in apps, or looking at stuff through a browser. It's my go-to for bed-scrolling and streaming now.

I think the issue that everyone complains about with regard to computers is the same issue that budget tablets have: built-in software that taxes the system so much it just breaks down.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

A D&D buddy of mine works in the Claims Department for Walmart. According to him, avoid anything Onn. It's standard Chinese trash where they just grab random leftover parts and assemble something.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

I actually have an onn TV which works fine. That's sort of why I was considering one of the tablets. I see mixed reviews on the tablets everywhere. Half good, half bad. I'll probably just save some money and get a Samsung later. I already have a Fire tablet but I dropped it and the screen cracked. (It's been through alot, I've had it for a couple of years). Still works though, but I'm not sure how long it will last.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Unlikely. It's tensor so no Qualcomm tax and they managed to put tensor in a $450 phone.

I'm going to guess 10" at $550.

What is their plan with this tablet when they price it $100 higher than base model iPad?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ihmemies posted:

What is their plan with this tablet when they price it $100 higher than base model iPad?

Did you not see the whole home hub docking station thing?

Anyways, you were quoting from May and things have changed since then, I'm betting it's going to be closer to $400 now.

And I will die on this hill. Unless you are in the small niche of creative apps like drawing, video editing, or photo editing, Android tablets offer a better app and multitasking experience.

I have an iPad Mini and I would in a heartbeat trade it for a Galaxy Tab of the same form factor as long as it was a QHD screen and had biometrics and a non-potato SoC.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spacegrass posted:

I actually have an onn TV which works fine. That's sort of why I was considering one of the tablets. I see mixed reviews on the tablets everywhere. Half good, half bad. I'll probably just save some money and get a Samsung later. I already have a Fire tablet but I dropped it and the screen cracked. (It's been through alot, I've had it for a couple of years). Still works though, but I'm not sure how long it will last.

Incidentally, woot.com has some refurbished older kindles/fires up on sale today. They're owned by amazon now so if you have prime you get free shipping there. I often pick up the sub $40 ones in these sales:
https://www.woot.com/plus/amazon-kindle-and-fire-tablets-19

It's never great to buy older tablets and amazon makes those things to a price point, but at these prices they're so cheap they're almost disposable. If you want more performance definitely save for a better samsung, or possibly see what google does with the pixel tablet they're going to release late this year or early next year. That one's likely to be pricey, though. I think the nexus 9 was like $400-600 on release depending on the config, and the pixelbook was like $1k.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just bumping this up because it has been confirmed that the OnePlus Pad is in fact coming to the US. No word on price yet and it's hard to speculate since this is a new product category for them, but the use of a Mediatek precessor seems to indicate that they are trying to keep cost down. It's the Dimensity 9000 so it's not really a slouch.

https://www.oneplus.com/us/oneplus-pad

It's using a 7:5 aspect ratio which should be pretty nice for two side by side apps. It puts it just around 10mm bigger than the iPad Air in both directions so it shouldn't be unwieldy in either orientation.

144hz LCD with 500 Nits of brightness and Dolby Vision capability. 2800x2000 resolution which gives it a 296ppi density. 67w charging and a claimed 1 month of standby. Quad speakers that reorient themselves based on landscape or portrait. Keyboard folio and 2mn pen will also be available (no word if they are both separate purchases.)

Obviously price will make it break it, but it's nice to have a compelling new option for a well supported tablet in the US. Lenovo is the only other player besides Samsung on the higher end and their software support is crap.

I have a Tab S8 Ultra right now and I'm planning on keeping it because it's great for media consumption, but it's not exactly a hand held device. The smaller S8+ has a similar problem (still a tad too big for handheld). The base Tab S8 is closer, but I think the 16:10 aspect ratio is a liability at this size (which is funny since I was a former advocate of that aspect ratio for tablets, but split screen and apps have evolved since then.). The base Tab S8 also doesn't have HDR for video playback.

I still would love to have a dedicated Android tablet in the unfolded Fold 4 form factor. Apps work pretty drat well on that screen size/shape and having a more durable body that was slightly thicker and without hinge so it would have more battery would be a perfect iPad mini alternative.

It goes up for preorder in April so we should find out the price then.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a rumor for the launch period of the Pixel tablet?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a rumor for the launch period of the Pixel tablet?

Most think around Google IO which hasn't been announced yet but is usually in May.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Most think around Google IO which hasn't been announced yet but is usually in May.

:tipshat:

Tho I wonder if the Pixel tablet, or the Oneplus Pad, would really suit my use case any better. I currently use my ipad air 3 as my tablet and it's pretty much purely a Plex playback device, with battery life, audio and screen as the areas where I'd most like to see an improvement if I were to get something new.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 1, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looks neat, but anything larger than an 8 inch tablet is just too unwieldy for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

:tipshat:

Tho I wonder if the Pixel tablet, or the Oneplus Pad, would really suit my use case any better. I currently use my ipad air 3 as my tablet and it's pretty much purely a Plex playback device, with battery life, audio and screen as the areas where I'd most like to see an improvement if I were to get something new.

I view pretty much all tablets as pure luxury devices. I do have an iPad Mini 6 and I do end up using that lot due to its size but even over a year later I clash hard with iOS and I feel like, for the apps that I use, Android is better optimized for large screen use than iOS.

Until the Pixel tablet has more details and price, it's hard to know where it will fit in with things. For media consumption, display is king and if I'm not getting an OLED it needs to be a top notch LCD with good features. The Pixel tablet stand is a very good thing though and I would probably consider it even if I wasn't going to use it as a tablet much as a very large screen Google Home.

I buy way too much poo poo so I'll probably get the OnePlus Pad as well as long as it's reasonably priced. I've been very satisfied with my Tab S8 Ultra, but it's also not much different than using a 2:1 notebook with the keyboard folded back or removed. It is not in any way shape or form a handheld device, even two hands, without having the kickstand back on it.

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004
Does anyone know of a cheapish place to replace the screen on an iPad pro 11" 3rd gen?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hyped posted:

Does anyone know of a cheapish place to replace the screen on an iPad pro 11" 3rd gen?

Apple.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Kheldarn posted:

Looks neat, but anything larger than an 8 inch tablet is just too unwieldy for me.

I gotta say, I was worried about my Tab S8 Ultra, but I love the stupid thing. It's huge and the screen is gorgeous. Entirely overkill for media consumption, but man is it luxurious for comics, reading, and YouTube.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here use a tablet for note taking, and if so, what are their opinions on any tablet they use, plus give a recommendation for a model. I've been using pen and paper, and it horrible. Well, I'm horrible at keeping them organized.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Can an Android user explain the FPR lock to me? Is it truly a brick or can you in theory revert back to some older firmware and try all the accessibility magic tricks to get a web browser to pop open so you can install some shady tools to remove it? Just curious as someone gave me a SM-T280 to look at and to me it seems pointless to try much as doesn’t seem to take an OS with supported patches anyways.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
(moved from the general Android thread)

I'm looking for an outdoorsy tablet - rugged and drop-proof, waterproof, bright screen, doesn't overheat during extended use in bright sunlight. Doesn't matter if it weighs a lot and has huge bezels. Bonus points if it has a really good GNSS receiver, ideally with SBAS support. I've had a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active (SM-T360) for this purpose for many years and it's worked quite well and stood up to a lot of abuse. It's getting very long in the tooth though; it's really slow, it's running Android 5.1 and hasn't seen a security patch since 2017 (doesn't matter too much though since it's rarely connected to the internet). The GNSS receiver is also not great.

Of course the first thing I looked at as a replacement was the current model replacement, the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro (SM-T630), but although it fits most of my requirements (being able to get at least some use out of a wet touchscreen is a plus), it's a bit on the expensive side, doesn't seem to have SBAS support and also seems to have higher power draw than its immediate predecessor (Tab Active Pro, SM-T545). I did consider that predecessor too, but it's not really so cheap that it makes me feel good about getting a three years old device.

The only other really rugged alternatives I've seen are some Chinese minor brand thing called the Oukitel RT1/2/3, but they seem, well, pretty janky, and they're not that cheap either. Any other suggestions I should be looking at? Just being rugged is actually enough, the GNSS stuff I can research myself.

I would consider an iPad but they have a well established reputation for overheating if you use them in bright sunlight for too long.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 2, 2023

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Budget Dracula posted:

Can an Android user explain the FPR lock to me? Is it truly a brick or can you in theory revert back to some older firmware and try all the accessibility magic tricks to get a web browser to pop open so you can install some shady tools to remove it? Just curious as someone gave me a SM-T280 to look at and to me it seems pointless to try much as doesn’t seem to take an OS with supported patches anyways.

The frp lock just requires you to log in as the previous user, in order to prevent thieves from taking lost or stolen phones, factory resetting them, and selling them. The way to prevent a device you're about to reset and sell/give to someone getting stuck like this is to remove all Google accounts before you reset. So if the person who gave it to you owned it legitimately, either it's their login, or someone they know, just talk to them?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

TheFluff posted:

(moved from the general Android thread)

The only other really rugged alternatives I've seen are some Chinese minor brand thing called the Oukitel RT1/2/3, but they seem, well, pretty janky, and they're not that cheap either. Any other suggestions I should be looking at? Just being rugged is actually enough, the GNSS stuff I can research myself.

My boy has an Oukitel 1? because it was cheaper than everything else with a 10k battery, has the rubber case and pre installed screen film, and has a sim slot so he can WhatsApp us. He uses it for roblox and minecraft and it seems fine.

The only jank so far has been that it didn't like nova launcher, but the stock ui is ok, and it didn't like an old sd card, but I haven't bothered to check which side was the problem.

If you want to know about any specifics let me know and I'll try out the workman apps etc

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Chubby Henparty posted:

My boy has an Oukitel 1? because it was cheaper than everything else with a 10k battery, has the rubber case and pre installed screen film, and has a sim slot so he can WhatsApp us. He uses it for roblox and minecraft and it seems fine.

The only jank so far has been that it didn't like nova launcher, but the stock ui is ok, and it didn't like an old sd card, but I haven't bothered to check which side was the problem.

If you want to know about any specifics let me know and I'll try out the workman apps etc

Thanks! Might be less janky than I thought then. If it's surviving grubby hands it'll probably be okay for my use case too. What Android version is it on, by the way?

If you really want to bend over backwards to help out an internet stranger, you could install GPSTest and submit a device capabilities report (see article), but absolutely don't feel obligated, I'm just curious.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

It's the RT1, running Android 11, security update 5 May 2022.

It should be entry 4555 at the end of that spreadsheet, hope thats useful for you?

And yes the screen gets sticky as all hell but screen wipes mostly do the job...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Any reason why you aren't looking at the Tab Active 3? It seems like the more direct and recent replacement for what you have. It's currently up to date with Android 13 OneUI 5.1.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 3, 2023

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

bull3964 posted:

Any reason why you aren't looking at the Tab Active 3? It seems like the more direct and recent replacement for what you have. It's currently up to date with Android 13 OneUI 5.1.

It's the same deal as the Tab Active Pro in my mind - it's an older model of the same family, launched in 2020. If it was cheaper it'd be more interesting, but for whatever reason it's hard to find both new and refurbed for a reasonable price here. As it stands I could get the most recent model from the same family (the Tab Active 4 Pro) for not that much more money. 8" vs 10" screen isn't too critical but it'd be nice to get a bigger display.

(e: it seems I should've acted earlier, because the previous gen devices were much cheaper a couple of months ago, just before the Active 4 launched... :smith: )

Chubby Henparty posted:

It's the RT1, running Android 11, security update 5 May 2022.

It should be entry 4555 at the end of that spreadsheet, hope thats useful for you?

And yes the screen gets sticky as all hell but screen wipes mostly do the job...

Awesome, thank you, that is interesting! It's better than I expected, actually, on the GNSS front. Doesn't have all the features, but it does have SBAS support and far from all high end devices do.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 3, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
OnePlus has started accepting deposits for the OnePlus Pad, preorder bonuses are a case and a charger:

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_pad_early_bird_offer_is_now_live_with_free_accessories-news-58195.php

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I plunked down the $99. If the thing is too out of line price wise, it’s refundable.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I plunked down the $99. If the thing is too out of line price wise, it’s refundable.

Same. Going by the Oppo Pad 2, which this is a copy of, the price should be in the 449 to 499 Euro area I'd guess. I wouldn't really want a Oneplus phone due to their aggressive app killing but a tablet I only need for media consumption, so battery, display and speakers are the key qualities there for me.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
May 10th expected date for Pixel tablet pre-order start:

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1648008746759495697

Having read up on what OxygenOS is like now (basically ColorOS), I'm a little less excited about the Oneplus Pad and hoping the Pixel tablet will deliver, Google haven't made a tablet in a long time tho.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the tweet you posted says "Google Pixel Fold" which is a phone

e: i see it further down in the replies

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Only available as a 10"? Easy pass.

ETA: I hope it does well, though. My Nexus 7 was the best tablet I've ever owned, and I'd love to see Google start making tablets again.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 18, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Only available as a 10"? Easy pass.

ETA: I hope it does well, though. My Nexus 7 was the best tablet I've ever owned, and I'd love to see Google start making tablets again.

Re: people singing the praises of the N7: So perhaps this was inherent to all devices released around that time, but I had both a first and second gen N7 and they both became so slow as to be completely unusable within a few years. I did love the form factor and OS, but literally would take minutes to open an app after a while. First and only android devices I ever had to get rid of before hardware failure/battery degradation (or just choosing to upgrade).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, that's pretty much emblematic of it being released in 2013. SoCs were still undergoing rapid development and advancement at that time.

I would say 2018 was around the point where software requirements started to fall off and SoCs became overpowered to the point where devices kept utility after 4+ years.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 19, 2023

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My N7 2013 still works. I swapped the battery and is slow, not as slow as taking minutes to open an APP but I use it from time to time as music player to keep the thing alive.

I have a Samsung Tab A7 2020 and is slow mostly because the 3Gb ram kicking all apps out of memory but works nicely for netflix/video. A good quality Pixel tablet with a decent price point would be a possible purchase for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really really wanted an 8" tablet with an OLED >=90hz screen with biometrics.

I have an iPad Mini 6 and it's aggressively competent but I really hate the screen.

Otherwise Galaxy Fold 4 kinda fills the niche.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Rumored Euro prices:

OnePlus Pad 499
Pixel Tablet 649

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Incessant Excess posted:

Rumored Euro prices:

OnePlus Pad 499
Pixel Tablet 649

OnePlus Pad price is rumored no more, it's 499 and ships May 18th.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Rumored Euro prices:

OnePlus Pad 499
Pixel Tablet 649

What would be the reason to buy these instead of an iPad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Ihmemies posted:

What would be the reason to buy these instead of an iPad?

Personally I don't like having two devices with different control schemes, the lack of back button on my iPad made using it a frustrating experience for me.