Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

eric posted:

How is Asus still in business when they make such lovely products?

They sell a ton of different products. The discrete components (motherboards, etc) all have great reputation as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corvid
Jan 2, 2011

Trip report on my new Asus P9X79 Delux. I've been waiting for a good custom rom to install on it and I finally decided to bit the bullet and go for it. There's no official support to get ICS running on it at the moment, but from what I read there should be some good news a few months out. I have my fingers crossed. :)

Support for up to 64GB of RAM, UEFI BIOS, Quad-GPU CrossFireX support... what's not to love? Meets my needs perfectly and with better specs than you'll find in any of those other over-priced "consumer" tablets. Do any of you guys have a problem with the solder points on the bottom ripping open your hand when you use it? It's pretty great otherwise... leaps and bounds better than my old Asus tablet.

Action Shot:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Definitely gonna see what's in store there, but I just have a feeling it's gonna be a tad more expensive than what I want. We'll see.

Your time must be worth nothing then

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't ios only "zoom" to upscale for non tab apps? It looks pretty terrible upscaling to 1024x, I can't imagine scaling up to 2048 will be pleasant. They'd almost have to introduce a different scaling method ala android. Though that would cut into the devs that release 'normal' and then "HD" versions of their apps instead of making one universal version. Now they can sell you a third XHD version, hooray!

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the macbook line when the ipad line has a higher res display then the 2,000+ dollar mac book pro with its 1920x....if there isn't a yield issue and this actually happens.

The only thing we have so far in terms of estimating pricing for high density displays is asus setting the MSRP of the 32g 700 model 100 dollars higher then the 201 (lenovo will only say their high res device will be aimed at business users, which is usually PR speak for "expensive").

A 32g ipad 2 is 600, so it'll be interesting to see if apple can meet the same price point with the more expensive display or have to retail it at 700 MSRP for a 32gig.

edit: a video of android style scaling on the ipad

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 28, 2012

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
I'm seriously considering this one if it actually turns out to be real - the upgrades to TouchWiz look pretty drat impressive and the resolution can't be beaten.

Kirk fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 7, 2012

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Kirk posted:

I think you mean storage :)

But otherwise that sounds like a really sweet tablet, I'm going to look into grabbing one. Thanks for the heads up!

No, he doesn't. That beast literally supports 64 gigs of RAM. Fits my needs perfectly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't ios only "zoom" to upscale for non tab apps? It looks pretty terrible upscaling to 1024x, I can't imagine scaling up to 2048 will be pleasant. They'd almost have to introduce a different scaling method ala android. Though that would cut into the devs that release 'normal' and then "HD" versions of their apps instead of making one universal version. Now they can sell you a third XHD version, hooray!
It'll look the same since the size of the screen itself isn't getting any bigger. It'll just upscale one iPhone pixel to four iPad pixels instead of two like it does now. Potentially, they could even finally let it use Retina assets, but who knows.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Corvid posted:

Action Shot:

I...what. That's a motherboard, not a tablet. I'm confused.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

feedmegin posted:

I...what. That's a motherboard, not a tablet. I'm confused.

We've been fooled! drat Asus and Corvid for making us believe.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I got my Xoom back from getting the 4g update. Nothing really to report since I don't live in a 4g area or have data active on it right now. They did however throw in a standard dock. My 8.9 tab should be here Monday so I should know soon enough if I want to ditch the Xoom.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
You're probably gonna ditch the Xoom purely on the size/weight issue

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

golgo13sf posted:

Your time must be worth nothing then

What?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
The time you spend making your purchase halfway usable X $0/hr = $0

edit: let me clarify

I don't know about you but my time is worth at minimum $50/hr.

If I spend 2 hours just dicking around on XDA, figuring out how to root the device, installing custom ROMs etc, that $100 worth of time (2 hours for the mathematically challenged) pays for something that none of that was necessary for.

That's just for the basic Android fuckery that every one of you advocate when something invariably isn't working correctly out of the box.

Then you get into this situation:

SlayVus posted:

Sending my Prime back for RMA... The only service center in the US that services Primes is the one in Grapevine, TX. After reading this thread I called ASUS back ten minutes after receiving my RMA email. Which is when I discovered the aforementioned fact about bing the only repair facility.

I have video documented the packaging of my tablet. I also have photographic documentation of the condition of the tablet and the serial number on both both the tablet and the box.

How much is your time worth then? Because you're losing a hell of a lot more than 2 hours.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 28, 2012

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
For all the flak android tablets get, their market share has increased 10% since last year. Mostly due to the kindle fire I guess.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dodoman posted:

For all the flak android tablets get, their market share has increased 10% since last year. Mostly due to the kindle fire I guess.

What Android tablets were there in Q4 '10? OG Galaxy Tab? Is that it? I'm really confused how there'd been 3.1 million sold by then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ciabatta posted:

What Android tablets were there in Q4 '10? OG Galaxy Tab? Is that it? I'm really confused how there'd been 3.1 million sold by then.
The Nook Color was out then, too. And probably a million terrible DealExtreme tablets running 1.5.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ciabatta posted:

3.1 million shipped.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

golgo13sf posted:

If I spend 2 hours just dicking around on XDA, figuring out how to root the device, installing custom ROMs etc, that $100 worth of time (2 hours for the mathematically challenged) pays for something that none of that was necessary for.

That's just for the basic Android fuckery that every one of you advocate when something invariably isn't working correctly out of the box.

How much is your time worth then? Because you're losing a hell of a lot more than 2 hours.

I love this arguement, because every time I put time into something I am literally losing paid work. You must hate eating sleeping & travel. How do you spend your free time or do you start earning the moment you wake up?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

golgo13sf posted:

I'm not sure what you're on about.

I don't have a tablet. I was saying I was waiting to see how much the iPad 3 was gonna cost, but that it will probably be more than my budget will allow.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

How much are you looking to spend?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

golgo13sf posted:

That doesn't take into account if you enjoy loving around with your toys. When I spent four hours rooting, installing custom ROMs, and tweaking my phone, I did it because it was fun.

Then again, I'd just recommend getting a different phone to someone that hates (or doesn't know how to) doing that stuff. Getting something that works right out of the box instead.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

golgo13sf posted:

Thats a lot of charity work you're doing in YOSPOS

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

golgo13sf posted:

Holy poo poo I guess I pay myself a LOT to play video games and mess with my phone, then!

Is that tax deductible?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endless Mike posted:

The Nook Color was out then, too. And probably a million terrible DealExtreme tablets running 1.5.

Ah, I thought the Nook Color was out early 2011.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

3.1 million shipped.

That helps too. My mistake, I should have known (and read!) it would be shipped.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 28, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

illcendiary posted:

How much are you looking to spend?

$500 max. $400 is preferable.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

E2M2 posted:

Thats a lot of charity work you're doing in YOSPOS

Actually I post at work and get paid for it, owns.

BonoMan posted:

I'm not sure what you're on about.

I don't have a tablet. I was saying I was waiting to see how much the iPad 3 was gonna cost, but that it will probably be more than my budget will allow.

Here's what I mean, and I'm not trying to be caustic about it. If the base iPad3 is $100 over your budget (admittedly a guess) what is your time worth if you buy a tablet in your budget that takes you 4 hours to make usable? Or if it's defective, go through the runaround making a unboxing-of video so when the manufacturer tries to gently caress you over you have proof. Or even if they don't try to gently caress you over you're without your item.

That is what I mean, what is your time worth? Is it worth the difference between your budget and a device that works as it should.

Let's not even make this iOS vs. Android. Let's make it Android vs. Android. If by some miracle Google themselves unfucked Motorola Mobility and came out with an Android tablet that out of the box worked as it should, had good build quality and had some measure of quality control but it cost $100 more than any other Android tablet. Now is your budget still the deciding factor?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

golgo13sf posted:

Actually I post at work and get paid for it, owns.

Here's what I mean, and I'm not trying to be caustic about it. If the base iPad3 is $100 over your budget (admittedly a guess) what is your time worth if you buy a tablet in your budget that takes you 4 hours to make usable? Or if it's defective, go through the runaround making a unboxing-of video so when the manufacturer tries to gently caress you over you have proof. Or even if they don't try to gently caress you over you're without your item.

That is what I mean, what is your time worth? Is it worth the difference between your budget and a device that works as it should.

Let's not even make this iOS vs. Android. Let's make it Android vs. Android. If by some miracle Google themselves unfucked Motorola Mobility and came out with an Android tablet that out of the box worked as it should, had good build quality and had some measure of quality control but it cost $100 more than any other Android tablet. Now is your budget still the deciding factor?

I see what you're saying (I really thought you were meaning to respond to somebody else), but buying a tablet that needs fixing was never really an option.

It's either a.)Buy a really good tablet at $400 that works as intended or b.) Buy an iPad 3 at $600 that works as intended.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

golgo13sf posted:

Here's what I mean, and I'm not trying to be caustic about it. If the base iPad3 is $100 over your budget (admittedly a guess) what is your time worth if you buy a tablet in your budget that takes you 4 hours to make usable?

Every non-iPad tablet is not a Nook Color or HP Touchpad that needs to get hours of time put in to be fully functional. Even those are a one-time hit of maybe 30 minutes or an hour to get a super cheap, mostly full-featured tablet. For a more "real" tablet, I'm not sure why you think it takes four hours to open a box and turn the thing on. I think you're ridiculously overestimating the hassle this involves. Edit: Oh I see, gotta make your math work. If it costs $100 less and only takes an hour longer to setup, better buy the cheaper one if your time is worth only $50/hr.

Quality control issues are another story and I don't think anyone would argue with your point there. Spending slightly less on something with a much greater chance of hardware issues isn't usually a good plan.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 28, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If I can get a retina display iPad for $499 soon, then I wasted all my time here. Android phone screens have made good jumps and all, but I don't know when they'll ever compete with that DPI since it requires a somewhat ridiculous resolution standard.

I mean, it could happen soon, but as a guy who just wants to read digital comics as though they were paper the retina display is kind of the American Dream.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Ciabatta posted:

Every non-iPad tablet is not a Nook Color or HP Touchpad that needs to get hours of time put in to be fully functional. Even those are a one-time hit of maybe 30 minutes or an hour to get a super cheap, mostly full-featured tablet. For a more "real" tablet, I'm not sure why you think it takes four hours to open a box and turn the thing on. I think you're ridiculously overestimating the hassle this involves.

Quality control issues are another story and I don't think anyone would argue with your point there. Spending slightly less on something with a much greater chance of hardware issues isn't usually a good plan.

I may be overestimating the time, but in all seriousness, how much time should be invested into wading through the very first page on XDA. I'm including that time in my estimate.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I see what you're saying (I really thought you were meaning to respond to somebody else), but buying a tablet that needs fixing was never really an option.

It's either a.)Buy a really good tablet at $400 that works as intended or b.) Buy an iPad 3 at $600 that works as intended.

To be fair, I don't think Apple is dumb enough to raise the price of the base 16 GB iPad. If anything, they'll make the iPad 3 base model $599 for 32 GB, let the added cost of the display eat into their margins on flash memory, and keep the iPad 2 around for $399.

Actually now that I read that I'm not sure it makes sense. Either way, I'm not sure you should let 100 measly bucks stand in the way of a better purchase (iOS or not).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Not everyone has extra money, some have extra time. Not everyone has the option of working a couple extra hours & if they did perhaps they have other priorities for their extra money.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

golgo13sf posted:

Root is not necessary to make the machine simply start up and do tasks. This is like applying jailbreak time to the iPad because I simply MUST have my Playstation emulator and folders within folders.

My time is worth nothing, I suppose (I am unemployed and have plenty of time for stuff like World of Warcraft as a result); but I only do root/etc as a hobby and not for basic functionality.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

golgo13sf posted:

I may be overestimating the time, but in all seriousness, how much time should be invested into wading through the very first page on XDA. I'm including that time in my estimate.

Absolutely none if you don't want to? What's your point.

Edit: To be clearer, absolutely nothing in that image was anything other than optional modding stuff.

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 28, 2012

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

golgo13sf posted:

As much or as little time as you want. If you need the latest 3nd of Days theme and butter kernel, have at it. Is there a requirement to flash custom poo poo on a Galaxy Tab or Xoom or whatever for it to work? Honest question, are there show stopping bugs on the $400-500 Honeycomb tabs still? I totally agree about buying stuff that requires wading through xda to make it functional, but that stuff is usually cheaper (like the Nook Color) so there's a trade off or has laughable quality control (like the Prime) that I agree should be a big mark against it. Otherwise, saying you have to read xda sounds like saying you have to jailbreak your iPad.

Edit: Goddamn was I slow and beaten.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I did a factory wipe of my Xoom before I sent it in for the LTE upgrade.

I got it back yesterday and the amount of setup I did to get back up and running was measured in the time it took me to turn it on and enter my wifi password and google account credentials. That was it. It started redownloading all my apps and no further intervention was required by me. The thing just works out of the box.

If I wanted to I could go hog wild and flash different ROMs and try out different kernels and other customizations, but I don't have to and I haven't really wanted to in the nearly year ownership of it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 28, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
It's just weird. Apple, with the iPod, finally "got right" a lot of what was wrong with the fragmented and Engrish market of MP3 players and made it accessible and easy to use. They then continued on with the iPhone and iPad - they didn't coin just a catchphrase, but literally proved that their stuff Just Works.

You tap on something, it registers. You swipe, it registers and doesn't lag. You want music? You just download it. You want apps? There's like 600,000 and growing. You don't want to choose between 9000 different variants of a product and just confuse yourself without doing mad homework? Just pick up the flavor of the year.

You have problems? Go into an actual brick and mortar store and get it replaced by guys who know what they're doing. You don't live close to one? Call Apple Care and get an English speaking guy from the same country you're calling from and get help.

Apple also has a good business practice where the customer is always right, and a very high reputation to uphold so they'll bend over backwards for their consumers

Their products are so popular that random stores stock random accessories - you can't go into one mall without finding a slew of cases or cords.

They are also so popular that the products will continue to be supported for years to come, and because it's so popular you know you're not buying into something that will phase out with it's own competitor in the same year.

People keep recommending Apple because it's like recommending it to a friend - you want to say what's best and what will work the most. You wouldn't tell someone to buy an Android that requires root and the exclusion of a front facing camera or Netflix because of it. This thread is evidence enough that it's just the wild west with Android and no one knows what the gently caress they want/are doing

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

If I can get a retina display iPad for $499 soon, then I wasted all my time here. Android phone screens have made good jumps and all, but I don't know when they'll ever compete with that DPI since it requires a somewhat ridiculous resolution standard.

Ipad 3: 2048x1536
8.08" × 6.06" (20.52cm × 15.39cm) = 253.47 PPI

Thrive 7: 1280x800
5.94" × 3.71" (15.08cm × 9.42cm) = 215.63 PPI

Not a huge difference. Now, number of pixels, that's different. I'm pretty happy with my 7 for reading comics, however. Read the entire run of Miracleman on it, and it was fine.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
I would also add that if someone is considering the Nook colour or whatever instead of an iPad or latest greatest android tablet V7, they probably aren't earning 50 dollars an hour, which is why spending 30 minutes or even four hours working on making it fully functional when it costs much less is a good deal for them even when you factor in "how valuable is your time argument".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's just weird. Apple, with the iPod, finally "got right" a lot of what was wrong with the fragmented and Engrish market of MP3 players and made it accessible and easy to use. They then continued on with the iPhone and iPad - they didn't coin just a catchphrase, but literally proved that their stuff Just Works.

You tap on something, it registers. You swipe, it registers and doesn't lag. You want music? You just download it. You want apps? There's like 600,000 and growing. You don't want to choose between 9000 different variants of a product and just confuse yourself without doing mad homework? Just pick up the flavor of the year.

You have problems? Go into an actual brick and mortar store and get it replaced by guys who know what they're doing. You don't live close to one? Call Apple Care and get an English speaking guy from the same country you're calling from and get help.

Apple also has a good business practice where the customer is always right, and a very high reputation to uphold so they'll bend over backwards for their consumers

Their products are so popular that random stores stock random accessories - you can't go into one mall without finding a slew of cases or cords.

They are also so popular that the products will continue to be supported for years to come, and because it's so popular you know you're not buying into something that will phase out with it's own competitor in the same year.

People keep recommending Apple because it's like recommending it to a friend - you want to say what's best and what will work the most. You wouldn't tell someone to buy an Android that requires root and the exclusion of a front facing camera or Netflix because of it. This thread is evidence enough that it's just the wild west with Android and no one knows what the gently caress they want/are doing

Shut the gently caress up about the iPad, this is not the right thread or forum for this.