Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Incessant Excess posted:

Personally I don't like having two devices with different control schemes, the lack of back button on my iPad made using it a frustrating experience for me.
but they both use gesture navigation? pretty sure they both use the same back gesture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Incessant Excess posted:

Personally I don't like having two devices with different control schemes, the lack of back button on my iPad made using it a frustrating experience for me.

Found the one that turns 3-button back on.

Gesture navigation is pretty similar in both, but Android's feels more refined to me. That could partially be confirmation bias in that I've been doing Android since Cupcake.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

butt dickus posted:

but they both use gesture navigation? pretty sure they both use the same back gesture

I prefer the usual back/home/task list on all my android devices. I use gestures for notifications or bringing up the app drawer, etc...

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I am using gesture navigation on my Android phone, perhaps that's why the slight differences with how iOS handles things bother me so much.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Oneplus Pad reviews are out and they are fairly positive, I can see myself keeping this unless Google has something really good cooked up with the Pixel tablet.

The Verge - https://www.theverge.com/23701161/oneplus-pad-android-tablet-review
XDA developers - https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-pad-review/
Notebookcheck - https://www.notebookcheck.net/OnePlus-Pad-Review-A-premium-Android-tablet-experience-that-goes-easy-on-the-wallet.710470.0.html

Main positives seem to be the hardware and value, while the negatives are software support (3 years os/4 years security) and that the ecosystem and productivity features can't compete with Samsung and Apple.

Edit:

some very negative impressions from Amadeo: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/04/oneplus-pad-hands-on-i-did-not-know-they-still-made-displays-this-bad/

poor display quality and os choppiness are his main complaints

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 28, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I legitimately think Ron doesn't like reviewing devices anymore. I really can't think of the last positive review he's had on anything.

I still hate that all the reviews are trotting out the same tired "no tablet optimized apps" over and over. I own an iPad. Tablet optimization sucks on that side of the OS aisle too outside of a very narrow range of content creation apps and I'm so loving tired of every device review hinging on content creation because it's such a miniscule use case for most people.

Honestly, I've run across more iOS only apps that render like an iPhone 4 on the iPad than I have apps with outright broken scaling on Android.

Here's the dirty little secret why tablet optimized apps are so few and far between on both platforms, running apps full screen is dumb as poo poo and not the point to having a big screen device. Games and videos are full screen things. The same can be said for creative work like drawing, photo editing, and video editing. Everything else is better is better suited for phone layout with multitasking and multitasking on iPads is still very basic.

I do say though, I was/am still very close to cancelling my preorder due to the fact that the thing lacks a loving fingerprint sensor. Who thought that was a good idea in 2023. I can somewhat excuse $150 basic tablets for not having biometrics, but it kinda sucks for a nearly $500 tablet.

On the flipside though, this is the cheapest you are going to get an HDR enabled display.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 28, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How do you unlock it anyways? Activate the display via the power button and a swipe on the lockscreen?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

How do you unlock it anyways? Activate the display via the power button and a swipe on the lockscreen?

It has face unlock, so I assume if you have that enabled it will either be pick up to wake or double tap on the screen to wake and then it will take you right in. Otherwise, you'll get a PIN or pattern prompt I guess.

I just don't like not having biometrics due to using a password vault. My master 1password passphrase is very long and I'm not going to type it every time. But it feels like enabling PIN unlock on my 1password app degrades security too much.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Ah gently caress i forgot about my password manager, you're right, that really sucks.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Looking at a tablet for a 12yr old currently trying to decide between the Samsung A8 and the Lenovo M10 any thoughts

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

fluppet posted:

Looking at a tablet for a 12yr old currently trying to decide between the Samsung A8 and the Lenovo M10 any thoughts

What's the use case? Youtube? Gaming? Drawing?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Mostly YouTube and roblox and ebooks

fluppet fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 6, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Amazon Japan briefly had a listing for the Pixel Tablet up, nothing new there other than a June release date.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
we're supposed to learn about the disappointing tablet that i'm going to buy anyway today, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wow, leakers were way off on price. $499 including dock.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

butt dickus posted:

we're supposed to learn about the disappointing tablet that i'm going to buy anyway today, right?
https://store.google.com/product/pixel_tablet

$500, Comes with the speaker dock ($129 by itself) and no keyboard case or stylus, has chromecast built in.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Wow, leakers were way off on price. $499 including dock.

Kinda, European price is 679, exactly what was rumored.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
How do the speaker docks generally sound?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Toshimo posted:

How do the speaker docks generally sound?

Given its size, I'm going to guess approximately the same as the Nest Hub or the Nest speakers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rap Game Goku posted:

Given its size, I'm going to guess approximately the same as the Nest Hub or the Nest speakers.

Is that good... or bad?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

Kinda, European price is 679, exactly what was rumored.

Yeah $699 CAD too

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'll be going with the Oneplus Pad I think. If the prices were equal I'd lean towards the Pixel Tablet but over here, it's a 180 Euro premium for a dock that holds little value for me. I mainly use my tablet at home but frequently do so in different rooms, so a speaker that I'd only use while charging the tablet doesn't sound that appealing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My OnePlus Pad arrives tomorrow, but I still pre-ordered the Pixel tablet.

I have a regular Google Nest Hub in my living room so regardless of everything else, this is a new Hub Max that can be disconnected to use as a tablet.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

My OnePlus Pad arrives tomorrow, but I still pre-ordered the Pixel tablet.

I take it you're gonna share some impressions once you've spent more time with it? I'd be curious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I will.

Honestly not sure why I bought it other than to check it out. Only tablets that really make sense are 8" ones.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Any good USI styluses? With the Pixel Tablet supporting USI 2.0 I want to try it out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Heh, posted in the wrong thread about the Xperia 1 V

Anyways, OnePlus pad arrived and initial impressions are good. I have zero clue what Ron was going on about with the display, it's great.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 11, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to reiterate that I have no idea what the display complaints were. It's probably the best non-oled display I've seen on a tablet.

The aspect ratio is cool but I do wish the thing was just a tiny bit smaller.

The multiwindow multitasking isn't quite as seamless as Samsung's implementation, but it's usable. Bit thing is if you save an app pair, it doesn't remember the split you might have configured, it just goes straight 50/50 when you use the pair shortcut. Given the aspect ratio, it's not so bad and that split works pretty well for most apps.

Also, the speakers are probably the best I've heard on a tablet even including my Tab S8 Ultra.

The weird stuff. It has both the Google Dialer and Google Messages preinstalled even though there's no cellular version. Now, my Tab S8 Ultra also has Messages installed, but when you open it on that tablet, it knows it doesn't have a sim and gives you the messages for web QR code and you can pair your phone. That doesn't happen on the OnePlus Pad though, it acts like a phone but it can never send messages.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 13, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If you could find the time to answer the following, I'd appreciate it.

How is the battery life, especially standby drain?
Are the bezels large enough to hold it in landscape without phantom touches?
What's the process of waking and unlocking it like?
The non functional google apps you mentioned, are they removable?
How much stuttering is there, another thing Amadeo mentioned, compared to a current Pixel phone?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Question about the speaker dock - can it act as a standalone Google assistant speaker when the tablet is not connected to it? Or does it need the tablet connected to it?

Would you be able to, for example, steam music to it via Spotify when the tablet is not on it?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Question about the speaker dock - can it act as a standalone Google assistant speaker when the tablet is not connected to it?

It cannot.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lame.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I will.

Honestly not sure why I bought it other than to check it out. Only tablets that really make sense are 8" ones.

Are there any good tablets of that size? I got a Samsung Tab A7 (2020 model) 10" and I find harder to a 7-8" considering phones are now around 6.5 inches and usually better bang per buck than tablets for the same price.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Thinking about replacing my Fire HD 10. Any suggestions sub-$300 with decent build quality? The Fire has been an absolute tank, which I've needed for the various times I've dozed off and dropped it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Thinking about replacing my Fire HD 10. Any suggestions sub-$300 with decent build quality? The Fire has been an absolute tank, which I've needed for the various times I've dozed off and dropped it.

Maybe the new fire?

https://www.theverge.com/23730409/amazon-fire-max-11-tablet-price-hands-on

Seems pretty ok tbh

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yeah. An ad for that got me thinking, but I was just seeing if anything else fit the bill, or if I wait for the new fire to hit a sale.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. An ad for that got me thinking, but I was just seeing if anything else fit the bill, or if I wait for the new fire to hit a sale.

I feel like it’s gonna be hard to beat that $229 price tbh.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can fires use split screen?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I can't really imagine getting that over a base ipad on sale/last gen ipad, but if your current kindle tablet isn't giving you headaches then that one will probably be fine for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like it’s gonna be hard to beat that $229 price tbh.

Haven't seen confirmation that you can sideload Google Play Store on it yet though.