Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
(moved from the general Android thread)

I'm looking for an outdoorsy tablet - rugged and drop-proof, waterproof, bright screen, doesn't overheat during extended use in bright sunlight. Doesn't matter if it weighs a lot and has huge bezels. Bonus points if it has a really good GNSS receiver, ideally with SBAS support. I've had a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active (SM-T360) for this purpose for many years and it's worked quite well and stood up to a lot of abuse. It's getting very long in the tooth though; it's really slow, it's running Android 5.1 and hasn't seen a security patch since 2017 (doesn't matter too much though since it's rarely connected to the internet). The GNSS receiver is also not great.

Of course the first thing I looked at as a replacement was the current model replacement, the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro (SM-T630), but although it fits most of my requirements (being able to get at least some use out of a wet touchscreen is a plus), it's a bit on the expensive side, doesn't seem to have SBAS support and also seems to have higher power draw than its immediate predecessor (Tab Active Pro, SM-T545). I did consider that predecessor too, but it's not really so cheap that it makes me feel good about getting a three years old device.

The only other really rugged alternatives I've seen are some Chinese minor brand thing called the Oukitel RT1/2/3, but they seem, well, pretty janky, and they're not that cheap either. Any other suggestions I should be looking at? Just being rugged is actually enough, the GNSS stuff I can research myself.

I would consider an iPad but they have a well established reputation for overheating if you use them in bright sunlight for too long.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Chubby Henparty posted:

My boy has an Oukitel 1? because it was cheaper than everything else with a 10k battery, has the rubber case and pre installed screen film, and has a sim slot so he can WhatsApp us. He uses it for roblox and minecraft and it seems fine.

The only jank so far has been that it didn't like nova launcher, but the stock ui is ok, and it didn't like an old sd card, but I haven't bothered to check which side was the problem.

If you want to know about any specifics let me know and I'll try out the workman apps etc

Thanks! Might be less janky than I thought then. If it's surviving grubby hands it'll probably be okay for my use case too. What Android version is it on, by the way?

If you really want to bend over backwards to help out an internet stranger, you could install GPSTest and submit a device capabilities report (see article), but absolutely don't feel obligated, I'm just curious.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

bull3964 posted:

Any reason why you aren't looking at the Tab Active 3? It seems like the more direct and recent replacement for what you have. It's currently up to date with Android 13 OneUI 5.1.

It's the same deal as the Tab Active Pro in my mind - it's an older model of the same family, launched in 2020. If it was cheaper it'd be more interesting, but for whatever reason it's hard to find both new and refurbed for a reasonable price here. As it stands I could get the most recent model from the same family (the Tab Active 4 Pro) for not that much more money. 8" vs 10" screen isn't too critical but it'd be nice to get a bigger display.

(e: it seems I should've acted earlier, because the previous gen devices were much cheaper a couple of months ago, just before the Active 4 launched... :smith: )

Chubby Henparty posted:

It's the RT1, running Android 11, security update 5 May 2022.

It should be entry 4555 at the end of that spreadsheet, hope thats useful for you?

And yes the screen gets sticky as all hell but screen wipes mostly do the job...

Awesome, thank you, that is interesting! It's better than I expected, actually, on the GNSS front. Doesn't have all the features, but it does have SBAS support and far from all high end devices do.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 3, 2023