Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

rawrr posted:

$255 for 16gb doesn't really count as free shipping, but thanks and sorry you had to strain to find it.

Go to google, enter "Nexus 7 16gb" click shopping, select free shipping?

Here's an example:

http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-nexus-7-asus-1b16-7-led-16gb-slate-tablet-wi-fi-nvidia-tegra-3/234039473.html?listingId=243604591

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

rawrr posted:

That's $250...
Ok, well just hit up craigslist and haggle for a lightly used one for like $175 or something. That's what I would do personally. Or search over and over on eBay for "newly listed, buy it now" and pounce on the first cheap legit listing that pops up.

With free shipping, of course :v:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

seravid posted:

Anything like Apple's Smart Cover for the Nexus 7 yet? What's the point of having a "magnetic sensor" if they don't sell a cover that makes use of it?
The official Google Nexus 7 cover has a magnetic wake feature. Have you tried that?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Oops. Somehow I thought the official case had a wake feature. Learned something new today.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Between shipping headaches and all that nonsense, just buy a new one.

Tunga posted:

Also sell it on eBay for parts.

This. Grab a decent amount from a "for parts not working" auction and just buy a new one.

Ah, disposable tech.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Sleazy P posted:

Hi guys, I'm really in need of some help here.

Every Android device I've ever owned does this at some point. Usually trying later or rebooting helps in my experience.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Is that an....earpiece? :stare:

I love my Note 2 and all, but holy poo poo holding that thing against your head.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Poniard posted:

Can the Nexus 10 support a pressure sensitive stylus? I'm only contemplating a Galaxy Note 10.1 over the Nexus because of this.

Nope. It's a simple capacitive screen. No 1024 points wacom business like the Note 10.1.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm "flipping" my Nexus 7 tomorrow.

Flippin' it right back to Staples under the 14-day return window. I won an iPad mini yesterday for attending some online webinar for enterprise software. Drew my name out of a hat or something. Free is good.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Best buy and amazon both broke street date on the new 7

Yep. Just ordered one for in-store pickup. Will be ready in an hour or so. Thanks for posting!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Ah never mind

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So not that it matters as its gimmicky on a tablet, but there is no Google Wallet for the N7 2013, right? Don't know why that would be but its not coming up in the app store.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So Google Play has a cheap "under a dollar to make" neoprene case for the N7 2013.

$29.

Click checkout and it's over $50 with 3-5 day ground shipping.

:stare:

Edit: added link so the world's biggest sucker can click "Add to cart"

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_sleeve_gray_2013

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 13, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

1st AD posted:

Go back to Best Buy and pretend there is nothing wrong with it, get a refund, buy it from somewhere else.

He's over 14 days.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There is no way Staples will take back a Nexus 7 inside the return period with a cracked screen, right? I guess I can purchase a square trade plan for $70 inside of the 30 day purchase period and then flip the new in box tablet for $200 on swappa for a net loss of $30?

No way...unless you get the 19 yr old cashier who doesn't open it up and "inspect the contents" but then you would have to live with the guilt if they took it back.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Most quality alarm clocks re-start automatically on a reboot.

Never missed a single alarm. Living on the edge, I guess.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just walked into best buy and picked up a 32gig black Nexus 9. 297mb OTA on first boot. It's nice. Any questions let me know. And do yourself a favor. Stop by the post office on the way and grab a 10% off BB movers coupon.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
It's really nice so far. The 4:3 is kind of strange. Text elements look large but sharp. Just finished the OTA and am updating apps. Thank God for AT&T's 15->30 gig data increase. Tethered to my phone now. The camera lens design is fine. Stop sperging about it.

The new Google Calendar is pretty sweet. Integrates Gmail and photos and such. Very nice.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 3, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Good grief. Build is perfectly fine. No creaks rattles or any other bullshit. I guess people are struggling to find something wrong with this device because it wasn't $100.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 3, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Speakers are loud but not boom sound bassy. Camera is OK...typical tablet quality (I'll post samples in a few). OS is very fast - no surprise there.

The new calendar is great. As you swipe through each month, there is a doodle of sorts that represents each month. Overall so far I have no regrets especially after the 10% coupon and $70 prepaid card from some rebate a while ago. Got the black 32 gig.

Edit. Here are two quick photos. The camera is...not that great. Not that any tablet is, but it's there for some quick junk shots if you need.

http://imgur.com/a/bbWIr

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 3, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Hey, at least you answered a question I had about the N9 that no review has mentioned. It has haptic feedback (yay!).

I'm assuming it has a notification LED as well, but can you confirm?

No notification LED

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
^^ hmm it must not be enabled yet. Good to know.

Zinio magazines look great on it. Finally have a use for all my free subs I've accumulated over the past few months.

Also reddit sync pro instantly crashes if you care.

Edit: Umm, if you watch a lot of movies on a tablet (I don't) you may want to pass. Letterbox city (4:3, duh). Reading and magazines look incredible though.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 3, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TheQat posted:

I don't know why I bother preordering things. I could have just gotten the drat thing from BB today, but instead I'm stuck with an un-cancelable Google Play preorder (which hasn't shipped yet or even been charged to my card--after 5PM Pacific on the day it was slated to ship).

I guess it's a lesson learned.

Don't worry. Each BB only got one 16 and one 32. If you didn't buy at 10:01 am for in store pickup, you would have been disappointed anyhow. Is not like they have hundreds on the shelf.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If the Nexus 9 was $199/$249 suddenly creaking, light bleed, camera protrusion and mushy buttons would be absent from every review. I know of people expect a lot for the price but in an iPad world the price is quite reasonable.

And lol at the idiots flipping about the black bars on movies. It's 4:3. I posted a pic just for reference but knew a 4:3 device would look like that.

Nexus 9. The tablet everyone loves to hate because it's so expensive.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

5436 posted:

Cause at $400 its competing with an iPad Air 1. At $350 it'd probably be well received.

If you aren't buying it with the 10% movers coupon... anyhow, bracing for the trashing of the $700 N6. That thing better be absolutely perfect or internet lynch mob kicks into high gear.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

5436 posted:

The bezels are somewhat big.

Caphi posted:

I have one kinda-complaint - because of the thin bezels, you (well, I) can't really hold the unit in portrait without palm contact.

Ok, I'll say it. I think the bezels are perfect :smuggo:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I really like my N9. I just came across a bunch of Best Buy GCs, so I'm likely going to return it and rebuy it when it's back in stock so I can save another $100 bucks.

Careful with excessive returns. You are being watched!

https://www.theretailequation.com/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Karthe posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with Windows recognizing a Nexus 7 2013 in bootloader mode? I've been beating my head against the wall for the last hour uninstalling and reinstalling drivers but every time my tablet goes into bootloader mode Windows sees it as an unknown USB device (literally, the hardware ID is reported as USB\UNKNOWN). When the tablet is booted into Android, though, Windows sees it just fine.

I've updated my USB drivers via the SDK downloader, and I've gone through two of the four options in the latest WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. I've done a factory reset/wipe of the device via Recovery mode, too, but that just had me re-setup the device.

I'm trying to flash the latest OTA release of L over top of the Lollipop preview that was released a couple of weeks back.

Are you by chance using USB 3.0 ports and Win 8.1? They are flaky sometimes. I even bought a $100 beater Lenovo running Win7 with USB 2 ports for flashing and phone stuff. Works flawlessly every time whereas my SP3 is flaky as hell.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Ended up returning my N9 to Best Buy and got an open box 10.5 Tab S 32 gig for $389 (haggled with manager like I always do). I know, Samsung but drat if the SAMOLED screen and non 4:3 isn't incredible. Blacks are pure #00000. No stock 5.0 but at this point I don't care. The screen on this thing is pure butter.

Might even violate my religion and get a Note 4 as well.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 14, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Alder posted:

You can haggle at BB w/managers? Usually for big box retailers they will stick to the policy and say nothing they can do about prices.
Highly depends. Some stores will give an insta-no, but the one by me is reasonable. The manager is a cool guy and likes to deal on open box items. They frequently have a sign on the cage that says "extra 20% off all open box - TODAY ONLY." The sign will stay up for weeks. Recently, it's not been up, but I just asked if they were "still running the 20% extravaganza" and the guy checked with the manager and came back with "we'll give ya an extra 10% - that good?"

I just ask for the hell of it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Getting a $549 Tab S that was marked to $429, then getting an extra 10%? All day long purchase. This summer I got a fully maxed out 15" rMBP (16/512/latest gen) for like $1,680. Felt criminal.

So, if you see an open box cage, just be kind and ask. The answer will most always be no, but it's worth a try, IMO. After all, you can pay 10% less for every new item in the store by simply getting a mover's guide from the post office. Never pay full price if you can avoid it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

I've never gotten a good answer, what's the status of warranties on Best Buy open box? Does it start on the original sale date?

Depends on the product. Apple stuff is warranted by serial, regardless of the individual buyer. My Tab S is under warranty for the next 11.5 months, for example (so it was sold and returned as new 2 weeks ago). Just depends on the manufacturer, but I've never bought an open box that didn't carry a manufacturer warranty. Even Amazon Warehouse Deal items (used, returns) have manufacturers warranties from my experience. Hell, a 5th hand HTC One M7 I bought was fixed by HTC, zero questions asked because the serial had 2 weeks left on the yr warranty (purple tint).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

God, multi window on my galaxy tab has been like a loving revelation. I don't think I could go back to a tablet that doesn't have it now.

I'm telling ya man. I'm a Nexus at heart, but poo poo if Samsung doesn't add in some things that are actually useful. Multi window on the 10.5 Tab S is downright useful.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

There are really just a shocking number of bugs with lollipop. N9 got hit first since it launched with it, but all nexus devices will be feeling the pain soon enough.

Thanks in advance for beta testing LP for my Tab S and Note 4!

(trying to be somewhat optimstic about leaving the Nexus line)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Alright, which one of you goons works at HTC and is trolling the hell out of me.

I ordered a magic cover during the 50% off sale last week. This arrived today:

(it's an LG flip phone from Tracfone)

:stare: :wtf: :stare:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone gave the new Dell Venue 8 7000 any thought? It was announced as being available today but from what I understand its been on sale at Best Buy for the past few days. It runs Android 4.4 which I don't find bad since both my Nexus 4 and 7 are still running 4.4 with no problems.

I got one the other day from Best Buy..........had to ask for it - nobody knew it existed. Worst launch ever. It's really nice, but the 16gb of ROM STORAGE (like 9.5 free on first boot) is a real bummer. The speakers (there's two in the bezel) are HTC One quality. Bassy and very loud. Very clear and crisp sound. Screen is totally stunning, both in brightness and resolution. Even better than the Tab S, IMO. It's impossibly thin and has literally zero bezels. Yeah, there's a chin that houses the front camera and speakers. It's actually handy when holding it in portrait view...awkward in landscape either way. Battery is 5500 something mAh. Lasting forever with heavy use so far. I'm guessing the Intel quad core processor is efficient? 2 gigs of RAM.

I had Zagg's corporate HQ in Utah use it as a template device today. They put a shield on the front/back free of charge, and will use the design worldwide for this model. Yeah, it's overpriced at $399, but I had a ton of giftcards to burn, so I'll probably keep it. MicroSD will be nicer when Lollipop lands.

Dell will update it to Lollipop, right guys? Guys? This my only reservation (besides the low storage). I know poo poo about Dell's Android updates. My assumption is they are worse than Samsung, but KitKat is at least stable and bug-free vs. Lollipop. Don't want to beta test anymore.

It's as good as a Nexus - fast as hell and Dell's OS is bone stock with a few non-intrusive addons (some blastingly loud sound enhancements, for example). Also Intel has baked in some motion sensing software so all you have to do it pick it up and it turns on. I'm guessing it would drain the gently caress out of it while in a bag, but it's there. The 3D measurement camera feature? No clue. No tablet should ever have a camera and this one seems to be no exception. Only tried indoors and pics were, well, lovely tablet quality. Maybe measuring a job site in full sunlight or something is their goal...that or the tech is a template for Dell making Android phones one day? It's in gimmick land for now, for sure.

Have some pics.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw0BYNUUEzkoQnl5WVNmOTkwM2c&usp=sharing

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 7, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I imagine the Dell is pretty nice. Where it'll live or die is how well they support it going forward.

It's really nice actually. Feels like some futuristic device Sony would churn out. Software has me concerned already though. "Gallery" a Dell application, crashes every 30 minutes or so. I'm not even using it. The gallery is what's used to leverage the "~3d triple camera measurement" feature that I've yet to figure out. Also Office for Android doesn't work since it only supports ARM processors. Fun! A unique processor! It's blazing fast though. Faster than any Android device I've touched including the Nexus 9.

I agree. Dell has superior hardware here, only to be potentially ruined by lovely software support.

As always, fingers crossed. That should be the Android prayer. It will improve soon, right? Right guys?

Guys?..........

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Your tablet doesn't have 16gb of RAM.

I feel like you know this, though.

Yah, its quoted so it will never go away. Fixed thanks. 2 gigs of RAM. 9.5 gigs of storage.

I have to say the google keyboard (stock on this) sounds are pretty awesome while typing. The speakers are balls out awesome. Dell nailed them even if they are situated in an internet crybaby chin. They may be better than the HTC One speakers.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Returned the Dell for an open box 32 gig Nexus 9, which was $100 cheaper@ $299.

The Dell was neat but the 9 gig storage on first boot is hilariously barbaric. Fail guys. Its 2015.

BUT SD isn't a solution.

I miss the bass on the Dell speakers. Nothing else.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 9, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

horchata posted:

someone convince me to sell/not sell my nexus 9 and buy a dell venue 8 7000 instead. The side buttons are really getting to me on an otherwise acceptable tablet and the venue 8 7000 looks really good (although the side buttons on that also look kinda butt)

Do whatever you wish but I did the exact opposite. I saw the Dell in Best Buy, bought it instantly. It's a beautiful piece of hardware, however I don't trust Dell's ability to update it at all. The first OTA boots up with the little Android guy and writing it looks like Korean or Chinese. Not really reassuring for the US market. Also some of Dells own apps don't even work yet. The nail in the coffin for me was having nine gigs available on the first boot. Yes there's a microSD slot, however with KitKat the practicality is extremely limited. Great speakers, great screen, great hardware all ruined by Dells sketchy update track record, and extremely low on board storage. It's a shame.

If you're okay with such a low amount of local storage and possibly waiting on lollipop for a very long time, it really is a nice piece hardware. Otherwise it will fail in 2015 unless a 32 gig version is ushered out the door really fast.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

I love my Z3C, but I think I'd want something larger, so I'll probably go with the 2014 10" Note. It's so pricey compared to the Shield, though...

Go all out and get a 12.2" Note LTE (unlocked) for $379.

Has the Snapdragon processor vs. the wifi exynos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171630973285

*edit you must be okay with it not being factory brand new, sealed, all that jazz. Retail on this is over $800, so it's a calculated risk I suppose.