Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
N9 rage: I picked up an open box 32 gig N9 from BB after the holidays for $279. Lasted two weeks and hated every moment of it.

Flipped for $100 profit.

Someone will defend it but it's just a train wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Seamonster posted:

is $325 a good price for a nexus 9 16gb from a retailer?

I got a 32 gig for $279 (Best Buy open box after Christmas) and couldn't offload it fast enough.

It's not a good product.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I did a thing. A really dumb thing.

Bought a Chinese "iPad retina screen" dual-boot Android/Windows 8.1 tablet from Aliexpress.

Full disclosure: this is 100% a tinker device. I am fully aware of what I've gotten myself into.

http://techtablets.com/teclast-x98-air-3g/review/

Stay tuned for tears of frustration in two months when it arrives.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Nothing says "quality" quite like a loving specs sticker on the screen. Yikes.

Oh, I get it. Terrible user experience x100 coming right up. That coupled with a 700+ page XDA thread for help, all in broken english is on deck.

Will be fun indeed.

"dat skreen" is my only savior. I think. Well, that and having Android/Win8.1 on one device. Yeah, that's it. :goon:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 11, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Daimo posted:

Got it imported from Taiwan (that's the Google play edition)

When you say Google Play Edition you mean it just has access to Google services, right (Play Store)? As in it still has Nokia's custom ROM with their Z launcher, not a clean Google Play Edition ROM direct from Google, right?

I have a 64gig Teclast Air 3g dual boot (Android and Windows) and its surprisingly nice. $209 and has the same screen and form factor as the iPad Air.

Chinese everything though. Took me several days to convert the OSs to Engrish.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 21, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google guy at the Best Buy here is claiming they'll have a new Nexus 7 "sometime". He didn't sound like it'd be this year.

I'm pretty sure those Best Buy floor Google people (and Samsung) are just hourly workers for a promotional mill marketing company (contract people). They aren't Google/Samsung employees and chances are you know more about that stuff than they do.

Right up there with the uncle who works at Nintendo I guess. So grain of salt and all that.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

GregNorc posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask, but does anyone know if those cheapo $50 kindle fires Amazon recently released are rootable?

Yes. $35 is a steal for a tinker machine.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-development/rom-cm-12-1-2015-11-15-t3249416

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dwguHoxTvo

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 27, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

sweart gliwere posted:

Looks like the Dell Venue 7000 series is on deep discount for Presidents day. The 8.4" (16gb standalone) is $200, and the 10.5" (16gb with keyboard dock) is $300.

Safe to say this thing will never see Marshmallow? I have no clue how good/bad Dell is with updates.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
https://pixel.google.com/developer-discount/

Enter email, wait a few hours, receive 25% discount code for a Pixel C.

Seems Google doesn't care if you are actually a developer or not. Ordered a 64gig/keyboard.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Codes are tied to the email they are issued to, I believe. May not work even if someone sends you one.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tunga posted:

Where's Hotsauce when you need him?

Put griptape on it.

Yo!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

What was the original post about griptape anyway?

So, an abridged version. Years ago, I got an HTC M7 (or M8, not sure). It was slippery as poo poo. Started thinking of a way to fix it instead of putting it in a huge case on it.

Solution? Visited a skate shop, got some clear grip tape, put little strips along the sides of the phone. Thought it was genius, posted pictures here.

Got railed all over the loving place, mocked, etc. Continues to this day.

I still stand by my idea though. loving goons!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

When you were "warned" about your excessive returns, was the email from "cis@amazon.com"? If so, you need to cool it...the next step is they ban you and disappear. You have no recourse and you are fired for life. Everything Amazon stops (including purchased digital content).

I came close to being banned a few years back...and I only returned like 5 items within 3 months. They are ruthless, BTW, so tread lightly.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is that a warning?

Not sure, depends on the sender address. You're fine for now, just probably on a "watch list" or some poo poo. Just cool it for the next 6-12 months and it'll fix itself.

I'm no expert on this, just cobbled together some info from google/reddit when I was nearly banned. An "Amazon Employee" basically told me I was in the danger zone, lol.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

delfin posted:

The 2017 Amazon HD 10 is now down to $99 as an early Black Friday deal. That's pretty hard to beat.

drat, that's impulse buy pricing.

Guess I'll get one just for the "read out loud" for books and magazines (no Audible required). That's pretty cool.

Edit: so Best Buy sells it for the same $99...and doesn't have special offers? I don't see any reason to pay $114 on Amazon direct for the ad-free one. Just get it at Best Buy. nevermind, it has ads

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 20, 2017

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I randomly saw an ONN 8" tablet last year on a clearance shelf for $29. Thought well, this sounds like fun for thirty bucks. It is the slowest gd thing I've ever owned. You can't even scroll since it stutters then inertia keeps it going. If you scroll a web page, for example, it will lag and the instant you remove your finger, it hauls rear end like it's catching up but too much. The problem is it has some janky MediaTek processor and 2 gifs gigs of RAM. I use it to display my outside cameras, which is about all it's good for.

The thing I always felt was funny is the build they used. The settings says "finish setting up your Pixel" and there are traces of Verizon builds. I think they took the stock Verizon Pixel image and flashed it onto anemic hardware.. Cannot root it and the recovery screen looks very shady (all Chinese text). Ironically enough, the ONN Android TV I got for $19 is pretty great. I'm sure their higher end tablets are fine, but man when they are low-spec, run don't walk away.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 24, 2022

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
What ya'll want to know? I have a USI stylus on the way, should be here tomorrow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

I'm curious how well the stylus works, I see a few on Amazon but obviously none have been tested with this tablet yet.

It won't be here until Friday. Saw this; looks like it works well.

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-tablet-ingenious-stylus-storage-solution/

So far so good, but I sure do miss 120hz refresh...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

I'm curious how well the stylus works, I see a few on Amazon but obviously none have been tested with this tablet yet.

Got the pen. Went for the "Made for Fire tablet" one here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ89FPSR

I figured if Amazon pays this Chinese factory to make an OEM device, it's going to work, and it works as you'd suspect. Lag is very minimal and it writes legibly (although I can't). I don't draw but basic sketches are fine with no jaggy lines, etc.

I believe any USI 2.0 one will work, which this one is.

Edit: I find it funny (I think) that this thread continues to be dead. Everyone bitched when Google exited the tablet game, and now that they are back, nobody seems to care. :lol:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Tablets are tablets, even in the Apple world they aren’t exactly exciting anymore and have kinda reached a wall of innovation.

FYIW, the LCDs on both the OnePlus Tab and the Pixel tablet kick the poo poo out of the screen in the ipad mini 6.

Indeed. This thing could almost pass as an OLED. It's an insanely nice LCD panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The google store has crazy trade-in values on old iPads. I have a sixth generation iPad and the trade they're giving me is $399. It's a piece of poo poo so in my head it's a free pixel tablet. You could even buy some junker on eBay that fits the criteria for like 50 bucks.

I don't know if Google did this on purpose, but whatever the case, there's going to be a ton of pixel tablets out there shortly. I guess that's the best way they could counter the iPad M4 and inject market share into the vein of the iPad market. I already have my standalone tablet. It came today. It quite literally is the exact tablet that was launched last year with the speaker, just without the speaker. I wish it would've had a 120 Hz screen. Also, they're going to run the G2 processor for at least five more years, so that should help seed the development for Android on a tablet...and foldables. Is it possible that Google has finally has it's poo poo together?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 9, 2024