Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

got dat wmd posted:

I'm not trolling, one of Android's faults is that the customer has no real comfortable place to go for support, other than returning an item back to the store they brought it from, possibly paying restocking fees. There really should be an Android store but not like anything from that concept place that was going around a few months ago.

A google store would flop I think but a place to get face to face help for poo poo would be nice I guess. Maybe get close with Best Buy and pay them to use their Geeksquad dudes as an Apple Genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Don Lapre posted:

Arn't these the ones with the absolute horrible screens?

That is the gTablet but I'm sure he 10s is terrible too

e: looking it up online it has looks to have the same horrible screen. Seriously, if you haven't seen one of these inperson before it looks like a laptop screen from 1994

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 31, 2012

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

hotsauce posted:

Welp looks like Amazon is getting a return on my TF201 that just arrived.

It's a lovely picture of an unannounced product with no known specs or release date.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Internaut! posted:

So can you basically bundle two different apps in the same app on Android like you can with universal apps in iOS?

Yea, you can do hard OS version checks or package res files for different screen sizes.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Peven Stan posted:

I have root access and some kind of riced out custom ROM (Revolver 3.11) on my tablet, plus a hilarious 50% overlock (to 1.5 ghz). And you know what, it's still laggy.

This is what causes the rebooting issue you were complaining about earlier. Only time my OG Transformer has ever auto rebooted was when overclocking it that high with the same ROM.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

loving around with adobe reader just now. I loaded the official spec (ISO 32000) as my test document. In continuous mode reader will cache about 5 pages of content and flinging to scroll quickly will show empty pages. Paged mode will have every thing pre rendered. The blurry text that sometimes appears after scrolling comes from rendering a low resolution of the whole page so it looks fine in portrait mode but in landscape is looks bad so there is a delay as a high res rendering is done.

Looks like an implementation choice rather then android to me. Probably to save battery life rather then pre render the whole doc.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Justin.tv/Twitch.tv doesn't have a htlm5 site. Only reason I still like flash. Been thinking of trying to make an Adobe Air app to fix that though.

nimper posted:

If you're in the US, the Watch ESPN app could be pretty useful for this, assuming your cell provider partners with ESPN.

Your cable provider has to support it too I think. I always have to log into my Time Warner account when I use this anyways. Funny thing is Watch ESPN is a flash app and requires adobe air

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Whoaa, but This app is incompatible with all of your devices. It is also apparently very lovely.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

E2M2 posted:

720p playback is bad on all Tegra2 devices right? I think if you encode them a certain way they will play back better.

No, that is 1080p High Profile that won't work right.

720p should be fine unless you are trying to play a MKV file. MKV files get iffy. Best player I've found for my OG Transformer is Dice Player. I use ES File Explorer to connect to my media server on my network and open and stream it through Dice Player.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I'm a huge nerd and couldn't wait a day and installed the TW Transformer ICS update. So nice and smooth.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Followed this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1513750

cliffs: flash to TW firmware, get root again, reinstall recovery, flash ICS

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

hotsauce posted:

The geek in me says do it, but the rational side of me says sleep on it and wake to a simple OTA :v:

Yea. I wouldn't of bothered but I was already rooted and didn't want to wait for the rom I use to update next week.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Duckman2008 posted:

I thought I did, I don't have ROM manager installed. It is on a custom ROM though, so it may not pick it up.

Anyone have a link to manually download ICS?

If you have CWM or Rogue installed you can flash one of these http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1514658

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

rotaryfun posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you feel like you need root on your tablet? I rooted my transformer pre ICS and I never even ended up using anything that required root access.

Pretty much the only root apps I use is SetCPU (give a little more power to play hidef mkv files) and volume+ (i can't hear poo poo)

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Asus is working on their tablet segments

300 series will replace the OG. Tegra 3, plastic backing, standard 1280x800 IPS screen (no super) http://www.anandtech.com/show/5588/the-asus-transformer-pad-300-series

Prime in the middle

Infinity at the high end. 1920x1200 screen. Tegra 3 like the prime. If yo want LTE it switches out the processor for a krait. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5586/the-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-1920-x-1200-display-krait-optional

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

SlayVus posted:

It might be using the same screen as the OG transformer, if it is it means that the overall brightness is actually less. According to notebook review, I would link the articles however I am on a phone, the OG screen had an average brightness of about 332 cd/m^2 at maximum and the prime at 484 cd/m^2 without Super IPS+ mode(514 with).
Pretty sure this is right

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Don Lapre posted:

What kind of price difference is asus expencting between all 3 of these devices?

400/500/600/700(LTE) is the estimate on Anandtech. But I don't think there is anything official on the 300 and Infinity

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

IT Guy posted:

XVID. I tried bsplayer and mxplayer. The lower frame rate seems to be when playing it on my tv through the mini HDMI. It seems to work find when playing it on the tablet only.

Maybe it's because the tablet doesn't seem to turn off it's own screen when playing through HDMI so it's trying to display it through both HDMI and the tablet's screen.

I've successfully rooted, I just didn't know whether I needed a new kernel to OC with setcpu.

Edit: It appears I can't OC on the stock kernel. It won't let me go above 1ghz. Time to install CM9 nightly I guess.

You can get 720p MKV files to play smooth with an OC to 1.4 and Dice Player. But yea, you need a new kernel. The revolver rom owned for that kind of stuff with HC and his ICS update is in beta. He has an app on the market that will auto update and manage downloading and installing kernels and other add-ons

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Asus has some kind of cloud app for syncing. Called My Cloud I think

e: Looking at it for the first time MyCloud does cloud storage with pc client. Has a remote desktop app that works with splashtop so i didn't even have to buy it (:qq:). And some internet radio stations.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 28, 2012

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Probably not unless you don't want to pay for Spashtop. The cloud thing could be done with dropbox (it is unlimited storage for 2 years if that matters) and the radio stuff looked bad.

The storage cloud does have android phone and iphone phone apps along with the desktop clients

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Secret Sweater posted:

What does "works with splashtop" mean then. Did he mean to say that it's a Splashtop alternative?

I mean it literally has a splashtop in it. There is a skinned version of splashtop that normally costs like 10 bucks or whatever that works with the free splashtop server you get on the website

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

They could be going with the new Intel processor. Intel wants to get into the tablet/phone game badly but has a problem because they are trying to move x86 into a field that ARM obviously has a death grip on. They also need a strong platform to force developers to compile their native code in x86. I could see them help subsidize the price to get a strong foothold.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

It's suppose to "soon"

https://www.facebook.com/notes/samsung-mobile/android-40-ice-cream-sandwich-upgrade-for-galaxy-s-ii/390405030989148

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

SeaWolf posted:

Well the display in my Transformer Prime has started malfunctioning and I'm outside the bestbuy exchange period. Am I going to wish I never bought this thing trying to deal with Asus support?

If bestbuy still works like they did when I worked there still take it there. They will have one of the geeksquad dudes check it out to verify that it is broken then based off of the warranty info in the computer either exchange it and handle the RMA or send it to a service center for you (where the SC will say that that they can't fix it and tell you to come into the store for an exchange)

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm having a problem with my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the browser: It's constantly crashing and bringing me back to the start page, reseting all my tabs and it's getting on my nerves. Is this a common problem with the tablet, or is my device somehow faulty?

Would downloading another browser increase the stability?

Use the chrome beta. It will crash occasional (key word beta) but it is very fast and when it does crash it will recover tabs with cached versions. Also syncs with chrome desktop if you use the browser. No flash plugin support though.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

A single speaker on a tablet is dumb and I hope that fad stops

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I purchased an XOSkin for my Nexus 7. I googled a bit and found a 40% coupon, so it was only ten dollars. I intend on not using a case, and just using a screen protector. The vendor has a lifetime warranty, so if it's dinged you can just get a new one). I did that with my other tablets, and it works pretty well.

I had an XOSkin on my Galaxy Nexus. On a hot as gently caress day in the south the loving thing melted together to my work badge and the screen was ruined.

Other then that it was great!

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Impulse bought a nexus 10 to replace my OG Transformer. The stereo front facing speakers are what sold me. The side facing ones on the Transformer always pissed me off plus it should handle HD video better then Tegra 2.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Got my Nexus 10 today. Got it to work with my media server but none of the media players work yet. They instantly crash from HW mode to SW mode.

Surprisingly it still does pretty good in SW mode. Exynos 5 is ARM v7 so I'm not sure what the problem is. Guess it'll get fixed over time.

Only problem with it is that there is a little light bleed in the bottom left corner, doesn't bother me in use but something I noticed while checking for dead pixels and poo poo.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 17, 2012

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm going to buy a Nexus 10, but i can't find the cover anywhere. Is it even available?

I think they pulled the cover that they gave reviewers because it was pretty lovely. It was a giant one of those Galaxy S III covers. That works good for a phone but for a tablet it needed to at least act like a stand.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Has anyone used the Amazon Fire live help thing? Seems like that would be the most (grand)mom friendly in that they hopefully wouldn't be bothering me all the drat time

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

My nexus 10 is getting old and the battery just dies at like 40%. Replacement batteries all look shady as hell so I guess I'm looking to replace it. I haven't followed this poo poo in over a year, what are some good larger tablets out now a days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

With my Nexus 10 dieing I looked around and found a like new Nexus 9 on Amazon for 260. Looks brand new other then the box a little worn. Like the look and feel of it, software seems a little lovely. Any reason why it isn't up to 5.1 yet?